Playing digital music through an amp

audiojunkie

Needed some advice....

I have a huge amount of music on a external harddrive that I would like to wire up to my amp.

I was looking for a devices that can read and support a USB drive, that can help me organise my music, allow me to review, choose and change the music as I please. (much like a laptop but cheaper! and must have audio outputs)

I found a logictech product called Squeezebox Touch which does the trick but not available in India as yet.

Any other suggestions?

music in which format?
I mean all mp3 or other? what is exact size?
what is your budget? do you have
wi Fi
Type of net connection
Stereo amplifier and speakers?
Or AVR and speakers?

AVR or Amp and speakers brands please?
What type of music yo listen?

Budget?
Are you comfortable buying online?
comfortable buying online from foreign sites?
Have anyone abrod who can bring? Which countries (US,UK,Singapore, Dubai,Japan,Austrelia or Antartica?)

If you have a TV/display connected all the time, you can use a WD media player to play your music. Just ensure that you take digital out and feed it to a decent external dac if you want good sound quality. Else look at Squeezebox if you want a display integrated solution.
Another candidate is HRT music streamer.

Ive been using a Sq Box Classic for the past 3 years with very good results, and then bought one more, the SB Duet.Highly recommended.It plays most formats, though my stuff is mostly FLAC.

I found a logictech product called Squeezebox Touch which does the trick but not available in India as yet.

Any other suggestions?

Hi:

Welcome to HFV!

Yes, the Touch is still not available in India, but you can't go wrong with the Squeezebox 3 (older version) with its classical looks. And, I've found one just for you going very cheap...

Clickety

:)

thanks for the quick feedback.

I have approx 250GB of music that I need to connect to my yamaha Amp through to my speakers. The reason I like the sqeeze box touch is because it has an integrated touch display that's easy to use and costs less than $300... unfortunately I am not travelling anytime soon and nor is anybody I know in the near future. A cheaper option would be even more welcome !

George

It seems you listen to music thru the Squeeze box. How do you find it compared to CD players. Are the differences audible, obvious.

I too plan the digital way near future. It simplifies our storage section very much.

Thanks
Pandu

POandu

I stopped listening to conventional CDs a couple of years ago and have all my music ripped. My primary system uses a DAC from the SB Classic, and a secondary one uses the Duet. I am very happy with the user interface. Strongly recommended.

thanks for the quick feedback.

I have approx 250GB of music that I need to connect to my yamaha Amp through to my speakers. The reason I like the sqeeze box touch is because it has an integrated touch display that's easy to use and costs less than $300... unfortunately I am not travelling anytime soon and nor is anybody I know in the near future. A cheaper option would be even more welcome !

250 GB of ..MP3 or other format?
your budget?
Any other things yiu have?

POandu

I stopped listening to conventional CDs a couple of years ago and have all my music ripped. My primary system uses a DAC from the SB Classic, and a secondary one uses the Duet. I am very happy with the user interface. Strongly recommended.

George,

I guess your connections should look like this from source to output.

PC --> SB CLASSIC --> DAC --> receiver --> Speakers.

So SB classic has the remote using which you control the input into the DAC.

Another thing is are you using any jitter control external devices apart from th DAC.

Thanks
Pandu

Some suggestions if you have apple ipod touch or i phone,laptop with Wi Fi and Wi Fi Home

Appple airport express for 6.5 Thousand
Optical Cable
Dac
Amp+ Speakers

or Amp with on board dac

How about this

No it's a little different:

ReadyNAS Duo (audio server), connected to Netgear Wireless G router.

SB Classic( and SB Duet for system 2)

DAC with two sets of outputs

One output to 2A3 Tube amp

FR floor standing speakers using Fostex 167E drivers

Second output to plate amp + Subwoofer

System 2 is SB Duet,

Grounded Grid tube pre

AKSA 55N(NIrvana upgrade) solid state amp

2 way stand mounted speakers using Scanspeak drivers

I did the following and am pretty happy with it... you may want to try it out.

1. My external hard disk is connected to my desktop PC which in turn is on a home wifi network
2. Have attached an Apple Airport Express (US$ 99) to my amp via a simple cable (headphone jack on one end and single ended inputs on the other). This Airport Express is also on my home network
4. I use iTunes to stream the music and my iPod Touch / iPhone as a remote control.

Works effortlessly and the only additional cost I incurred was US$ 99!

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back