Please advise for good FM Receiver

kumarsan

Hi,
i am new to the forum, i live in Faridabad, near Delh. We get most of FM stations from Delhi, but, with slightly weak signals.
Looking for advice for buying a good FM receiver with good antenna.
Thanks guys.
Kumarsan

Hi,
i am new to the forum, i live in Faridabad, near Delh. We get most of FM stations from Delhi, but, with slightly weak signals.
Looking for advice for buying a good FM receiver with good antenna.
Thanks guys.
Kumarsan

If you are looking for a stand-alone Tuner for your Hi-Fi rack, then the NAD 402 or 412 (if you can find them) are the best bet. They are both fantastic tuners with great sensitivity and quality. They also feature a unique "Blend" function which is great for listening to weak stations. I own the 402 which had been voted by What-Hifi as the best Tuner of 1996.

Hi Kumarsan,

If you also listen to MW and SW and like tuning by rotating a knob, you can also look for a Philips Hi Q International receiver (tuner plus amplifier). For FM you can use the Yagi type of roof mounted antenna used for receiving Doordarshan and the same flat connecting cable.

Best of luck in your search.

Was in Delhi for a few years in the early 2000s, did come across a hoard of Japanese component Tuners (the pioneers, JVCs, Sonys, etc) in shops around Chor Bazaar. Prices at that point of time were around Rs.1500/- on an average. However the functionality cannot be gauranteed I guess. Sony tuners are quite sensitive.

I second miroflex's idea of getting a tuner with a dial (and a tuning knob) as the digital ones tend to ignore weaker stations (not sure how weak the signal strength is at your location). However, these are difficult to tune and some tuners suffer from the frequency drift syndrome wherein you'd have to constantly keep tuning the station to keep it bright and clear. Using your YAGI from the Doordarshan days would definitely help. You could also use the an old multi-band VHF signal amplifier (popularly called booster, manufactured by MC industries, etc) provided the specs suggest that they cover band-2. Since VHF Bands 1 and 3 were commonly used across India by Doordarshan for TV, most of the VHF signal amplifiers manufactured at the time covered Band 1,2 and 3.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back