Please help buying a home theatre :)

Mon

dear hifi bredren,

This truly is a wonderful community you guys have setup here, every music enthusiast and wannabe audiophiles like me in india feel right at home here,

ive been a a silent lurker all this while, reading all the reviews put up by some of the guys who have auditioned and used thier setup.

i never thought id one day embark on this voyage of buying a home theatre and i finaly have saved up some money to finaly own a home theatre system.

i watch movies and play games via ps3 on my tv with no home theatre or external speakers of any sort and listen to music through my humble logitech z2300 pc speakers and now i feel a need for change, i want to watch movies and listen to music and play games with a surround sound system and get everything out of it.

i have a budget of 50k and could be stretched a bit.

ive heard lot of guys here raving about the wharfedale diamond 9.1hcp and i think it would be best for me to have your collective insight into what i should purchase.

i have a small room since i live in mumbai, probably 120-150 sq feet and i feel it would be better to know your opinion before splurging on the hard earned money.

now my brothers could you please enlighten this humble newbie on what should i purchase when it comes to amps,speakers.

i know a place where i can get a yamaha rx v463 for a good price but i dont think it would be enough to drive these wharfedale 9hcp speakers.....so please help me as in what kinda speaker package should i go for and what amp i should buy keeping in mind my tiny room.

thanks in advance.:)

monish.

463 should not have ne trouble driving 9.1/9.2. And at 50K, u (actually We, I m also having same deliberations right now) don't have much options. More, at roomsize u mentioned, It should be enough.
Here are some of the options, u have.

1. Receiver Yam 363 Around 17-18K
Yam 463 about 20 K
Denon 1509 Don't know exact, buwould be in range.
Denon 1709 in grey wud be around 20K.

2. Front BS Wharf 9.2/10.1 15K
BS Polk TSI 200 <15K
FS Polk TSi 300 <20K
BS Polk Rti a1 15

Now, Made in india and a bit low budget.
Sonodyne Sonus FS 2605V2 11k
Sonodyne Avant BS 150 9k

There are FS options of mediocre quality - JAmo FS, YAm FS 7390/8390, this forum doesn't think highly of them.

3. Center & Surround

Wharfe WH2 11 K
Sonodyne Sonus Center C2401+Sonus Rearr v2(BI-pol) 10K
YAmaha NSP 60 5K
JAmo Cen+Surr

Also, Wharf 9 Center+Surround @ 20K, but this will stretch your budget a little.

4. Sub
Polk PSW 110 <13K
Norge NSW 100 <9K
Sonodyne Roarr 210 15K
Sonodyne Roarr 108 9K
Wharf 150 18K

thanks for the immediate reply brotha yogesh :eek:hyeah:

the yamaha 463 i can get it for 19k here,

but the denon 1709 is 80 watts per channel and i read somewhere that the wharfedale 9.2 needs a 100 watt per channel output to perform at ease.

the centre as you mentioned the wharfe would do pretty good as well as the surrounds i think wharfe 9.0's will do fine.

the sub i think ill go with the norge nsw 100.

so that stretches my budget quite a bit.

how much will the wharfe 9.0 + 9cc centre cost?

Hi,

Here are the combinations that you can try. Audition it and decide.

Yamaha 463 AVR - 19k
wharfedale 9.1 - 11k
wharfedale 9.cc - 9 to 10 k
Rears: Any local made speaker - 5k [ Trust me for rears this should be fine. Also you room size is not big.
Subwoofer: norge, sonodyne, polk etc.. for 8 to 11 K
cables: 1K

Yamaha 463 AVR - 19k
Mission M34 - 15k or Mission M33i - 11k
Mh3 sys : combination of centre + surround: around 12k

Yamaha 463 AVR - 19k
Enery take calssix 5.1 : 30K.
cables 1k

Yamaha 463 AVR - 19k
cambridge audio S30 front : 7k
cambridge audio S30 rears : 7k
centre: cambridge audio s50 : 8???

Yamaha 463 AVR - 19k
Yamaha NS8390 towers : 9k
Yamaha NSP60: 7.5K

Thanks,
Prakash.

you guys are just two sweet man:clapping:

so would you guys realy go on with a yammy 463 and be happy with its performance if i go with this setup?

wharfedale 9.1 for fronts = 11k

wharfedale wh2 for centre = 11k

cambridge audio s30 for rears = 7k

subwoofer norge nsw 100 = 9k

so total excluding amp would be= 11k+11k+7k+9k=38k.

cables = 2k

so thats a total of 40k for speakers and cables and yamaha rx v463 will be 19k so thats a bit over my budget but i guess il have to stretch it that much if i want quality.

thanks again.:eek:hyeah:

Last edited:

Subwoofer; what would you recommend for this setup = 11k

Try sonodyne, norge or polk. buy which you like...

speaking of cables what make should i go for and how much would they cost to setup all these speakers?

Contact our forum member magma. He has some nice Taiwan OFC cables around 70rs per meter and he is in mumbai too.

Also what abt source dvd palyer?

P.S: This setup will sound good only if you use original dvd's. This is not for pirated stuffs.

Thanks,
Prakash.

Try sonodyne, norge or polk. buy which you like...

Contact our forum member magma. He has some nice Taiwan OFC cables around 70rs per meter and he is in mumbai too.

Also what abt source dvd palyer?

P.S: This setup will sound good only if you use original dvd's. This is not for pirated stuffs.

Thanks,
Prakash.

ill be using my ps3 to watch movies bro and play games as well.

thanks for the heads up on the cables bro.

so would you guys realy go on with a yammy 463 and be happy with its performance if i go with this setup?

wharfedale 9.1 for fronts = 11k

wharfedale wh2 for centre = 11k

cambridge audio s30 for rears = 7k

subwoofer norge nsw 100 = 9k

so total excluding amp would be= 11k+11k+7k+9k=38k.

cables = 2k

so thats a total of 40k for speakers and cables and yamaha rx v463 will be 19k so thats a bit over my budget but i guess il have to stretch it that much if i want quality.

thanks again.:eek:hyeah:

Go for total wharfe setup, don't mix CA and wharfe. More, for 11k u will get wh2 center + rears. U don't need to add CA rears.

So,

Front Wharfe 9.1 11K, 9.2 15K
Ceter+surr wharfe WH2 11K
Sub Wharfe 150 15-18K

Toal 5.1 will be 37-42K, pick ur combo. If u replace wharfe sub with Norge/Polk, bass will be less as will be your cost. I wuld say go with wharfe sub.

And, if and only if ur budget permits, gor for wharfe 9 center+surround, which ill cost arund 21K, 10k more than wh2.

thanks for the immediate reply brotha yogesh :eek:hyeah:

the yamaha 463 i can get it for 19k here,

but the denon 1709 is 80 watts per channel and i read somewhere that the wharfedale 9.2 needs a 100 watt per channel output to perform at ease.

Denon 1709 has 80W per channel @8 Ohm impedance. BUt, wharfe are 6 Ohm impedance speakers which are also compatible to 8 Ohm impedance. 1709 delivers 115 W at 6 Ohm impedance. So, No Problem.

Go for total wharfe setup, don't mix CA and wharfe. More, for 11k u will get wh2 center + rears. U don't need to add CA rears.

So,

Front Wharfe 9.1 11K, 9.2 15K
Ceter+surr wharfe WH2 11K
Sub Wharfe 150 15-18K

Toal 5.1 will be 37-42K, pick ur combo. If u replace wharfe sub with Norge/Polk, bass will be less as will be your cost. I wuld say go with wharfe sub.

And, if and only if ur budget permits, gor for wharfe 9 center+surround, which ill cost arund 21K, 10k more than wh2.

yogesh bro, how much will these cost?

wharfe 9.0 fronts?

wharfe 9cs centre?

wharfe 9cm centre?

diamond 9sr surround?

and the 9hcp wharfedale home cinema package seems reasonable for the price of 33k which comes with a wharfe sw100 sub.......here is the list that comes with 9chp;

2 x Diamond 9.0
1 x Diamond 9.CC
2 x Diamond 9.SR
1 x SW100 (downward firing subwoofer of 100W RMS specifically designed for this application.)
40 metre speaker cable.
2 wall mounting brackets for Diamond 9.0

so if i replace the 9.0 with 9.1, and replace the 9.cc with either of 9.cs or 9.cm........then i think the centre and surrounds would be better than the wh2 package.......and it comes with a wharfe sw100 sub as well.

and also what is the retail price of the denon 1709?

Last edited:

So,

Ceter+surr wharfe WH2
Sub Wharfe 150 15-18K

centre that comes with "centre+wh2" combination is weak. Alongside 9.1 as fronts, it will dominate the center. In Hometheatre the center speaker should be given equal importance like fronts as they do most of the work in a movie environment.

Hence its better to go for 9.c or 9.cs

wharf SW150 prices has gone up its 21k mrp now.

Last edited:
yogesh bro, how much will these cost?

so if i replace the 9.0 with 9.1, and replace the 9.cc with either of 9.cs or 9.cm........then i think the centre and surrounds would be better than the wh2 package.......and it comes with a wharfe sw100 sub as well.

and also what is the retail price of the denon 1709?

with 9.0, 9.cc can match.
with 9.1, 9.cs can match.
9.cm is powerful and my opinion is it goes better with towers and for your room size 9.cc or 9.cs can do the job.

Thanks,
Prakash.

Last edited:
Hi

If I can suggest to start building your system in a piecemeal fashion by buying quality components rather than jumping to builidng all the components of a HT system, you will be better off. So, I suggest to start with the Yamaha or Denon or Onkyo receiver and get 2 good quality wharfdale 9.2s for 2.0 system and then add a sw150 sub down theroad. You will be way better than most 5.1 system with this approach.

dear hifi bredren,

This truly is a wonderful community you guys have setup here, every music enthusiast and wannabe audiophiles like me in india feel right at home here,

ive been a a silent lurker all this while, reading all the reviews put up by some of the guys who have auditioned and used thier setup.

i never thought id one day embark on this voyage of buying a home theatre and i finaly have saved up some money to finaly own a home theatre system.

i watch movies and play games via ps3 on my tv with no home theatre or external speakers of any sort and listen to music through my humble logitech z2300 pc speakers and now i feel a need for change, i want to watch movies and listen to music and play games with a surround sound system and get everything out of it.

i have a budget of 50k and could be stretched a bit.

ive heard lot of guys here raving about the wharfedale diamond 9.1hcp and i think it would be best for me to have your collective insight into what i should purchase.

i have a small room since i live in mumbai, probably 120-150 sq feet and i feel it would be better to know your opinion before splurging on the hard earned money.

now my brothers could you please enlighten this humble newbie on what should i purchase when it comes to amps,speakers.

i know a place where i can get a yamaha rx v463 for a good price but i dont think it would be enough to drive these wharfedale 9hcp speakers.....so please help me as in what kinda speaker package should i go for and what amp i should buy keeping in mind my tiny room.

thanks in advance.:)

monish.

9.0 not sure, 9.1 Around 13K
9cs & 9sr should be <11K each.
I have detailed quote from my dealer with me, but not handy at present. Will post again with details.

Recent price list got from a dealer hope can be bargainable. Diamond 9.5 is quoted as 25.5K against 30K MRP.

Attachments

• WH-MRP_(w.e.f._4_April_2009).xls
    24 KB · Views: 83
Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back