Please help in choosing 55" - 58" LED.

karan382

Hello everyone,

Time for one of my favourite times of the year(s) - buying a LED :yahoo: Before I pester you all for suggestions,please allow me explain the requirements:

1. Viewing distance is approx 16 feet - 17 feet, therefore I understand a 55 inch LED will the best fit size ?

2. Looking for very good picture quality and decent sound. I prefer more natural colours and will avoid over bright colours (like Samsung). I am not stuck up for a 4K/Ultra HD as there is not really much content to support this format. My 70% viewing will be Tata Sky HD channels and 30% for 720p - 1080p format movies/shows.

3. Smart TV & 3D features are also not necessary, as I already have a 4 year old LG 47" with good 3D. For smart TV I can always plug in a chrome cast to access to Netflix, YouTube, browser (max requirements for me in smart) ?

4. I would want the TV to easily read external HD (1 TB) and play most video formats without any problem.

5. Though I am looking for value for money LED but I would not like to save a little money now and compromise of a much better & practical technology. Preferable budget is around 60k - 70k but I can stretch it a bit (around 1 Lac) if purchased is worth it. After sales is important in case of any future problems.

Basis my research I have shortlisted Vu 55K 160 Full HD (online price 46000/-); Sony KDL 55W800D (store price 100000/- approx ); Panasonic TH-58D300DX Full HD (online price 67000/-).

Though Vu offers very good price but I am concerned about after sales in case a problem were to arise. I have heard from few people of their poor after sales experience with Vu. I have also been unable to locate any dealer near my locality in Delhi that sells Vu as it mostly sold online now.

Sony in my view offers fantastic picture clarity and decent sound but it comes with a much higher price tag. I even saw the 50inch Sony Triluminous LED KDL 50W950D and I thought the colours in the Trilumous were much better than normal Sony. But since Trilumious does not come in 55 inch (unless I got for 4K) therefore I am unable to consider it.

I had a brief viewing of the Panasonic 58" and I though the quality was good enough though not at as good as Sony KDL 55W800D. But then again I save on a lot of money if I buy the Panasonic. The Chroma salesperson highly recommended the Panasonic and rated it as the highest selling model of the store with good after sales as well.

I was also considering the LG 55LH600T but I read many reviews of this TV lagging a lot between tasks.

Please let me know whether I am considering the above right models to meet my requirements. Or is there any other model that I should consider ? I seem to be more interested between the Panasonic or the Sony. Unfortunately I am not seeing many reviews Panasonic TH-58D300DX Full HD and I am wondering whether it will be a sensible buy ? Sony KDL 55W800D has mostly positive reviews like most Sony LEDs.

Also is it worth investing in a 4K TV considering that I would like to maximise the use of this TV for atleast 5 years from now. I was unable to much appreciate the 4K clarity in normal Tata Sky HD channel viewing and though that the colours looked duller in 4K. If a 4K is advised then what models can I consider in 55" and within the 100000/- price tag ?

Sorry for asking so many questions but too much research has confused me :sad:I look forward to all valuable suggestions and advise from all here. Thank you.

You can have a look at VU - they have an office in Okhla. Its the only one to offer a 3 yr warranty , extendable to 5 in case of a 4K TV.
Pana is good , but with 1 yr warranty and is a good compromise between quality & cost.

No need to worry about extended warranty as you can buy extended warranty for any product nowadays from 3rd party programs. If you are looking to spend 1lakh then I suggest you look into LG UH850T its 2016 model 4k HDR. The screen size is 50inch there is also larger size but the price will increase.
Since you are aiming to use this Tv for 5 years its better to buy one now with all the features so that you dont end up with a TV that is outdated within a year. The Tv HDR10 and Dolby Vision, 4K. Do check it out.

Thanks for the responses. I was reading about Vu threads here and there have been complaints about bleeding / clouding. Though the price &a warranty is tempting but I would hate it if it were to not work flawlessly from the start. Any more view about Vu 4K LEDs ?

Panasonic seems to be a no frills LED but the 1 year warranty can be a risky proposition. I am not too confident about third party warranty providers in long run ?

LG I would like to avoid as I already have a 47" LG and I have been quite happy with it. Besides the recommended LG UH850T is very expensive (and 1.5L) in 55" size.

Sony seems to be ok but I would like your advise in case I am missing out on much if I were to not buy a 4K TV.

Another important factor is watching of non HD channels. Pardon my ignorance but do any of these models have the feature upscaling non HD content to higher PQ ?

Thanks again. Ok

Thanks for the responses. I was reading about Vu threads here and there have been complaints about bleeding / clouding. Though the price &a warranty is tempting but I would hate it if it were to not work flawlessly from the start. Any more view about Vu 4K LEDs ?

Panasonic seems to be a no frills LED but the 1 year warranty can be a risky proposition. I am not too confident about third party warranty providers in long run ?

LG I would like to avoid as I already have a 47" LG and I have been quite happy with it. Besides the recommended LG UH850T is very expensive (and 1.5L) in 55" size.

Sony seems to be ok but I would like your advise in case I am missing out on much if I were to not buy a 4K TV.

Another important factor is watching of non HD channels. Pardon my ignorance but do any of these models have the feature upscaling non HD content to higher PQ ?

Thanks again. Ok

Vu 4k Tv have bad upscaling even 1080p movie from usb will just look meh. The only economically priced Tv that has good upscaling is the LeEco 4k Tv. 55inch can be had for 57k or less.
If you want a no frills Led Tv I would suggest you infocus 60inch model it has sharp panel and is 10bit and the picture quality is amazing for the price. I have the 50inch model and the color reproduction is excellent and the overall PQ is very good.

Stick with Panasonic, Sony or Samsung. Panasonic typically uses an IPS display like your LG which isn't very good for viewing without any lights on as it can't do deep blacks. Panasonic probably would be your best choice based on reliability and build. You may not get a 4K TV in the price range though. Suggest you extend your budget to about 1.5L and look for a Sony or Samsung then.

We have 50" 4K Vu TV at my parent's place and a 55" Sony X85c 4K TV with me. Both are about 9 months old.
Spent most of the time with Sony as it is my home TV but now with visiting parents and having a relook at Vu TV, I can only say this with more belief that gone are the days where we look at objects giving more than 10 - 15 years of service. Be it a car or white goods. And these days, the competition to the main brand's brands is pretty good.
My parent's 4k TV does everything almost or near to 95% of what Sony offers with respect to PQ. The differences are so minimal that only a side by side shoot out or long term ownership will reveal it and definitely not worth the price difference given the way technology is coming out these days.

But again I owned atleast three different Sony TVs till now and so I can think beyond brand. On side note the Toshiba Tvs that I had were never performing that good so not all cheaper TVs are made same. Your mileage may vary.

Vu 50" 4K almost or near Sony X85c 4K in terms of PQ. Seriously, you should really calibrate your Sony X85c properly and if you did I dont know what you are watching. I myself had bought Vu 50" 4k iconium series model from Flipkart but I returned it. At first I was also amazed how good the Tv was but only in few days I realised why its so cheap because its just okay for normal cable watching Tv not even Blurays. Upscaling was just awful. Maybe they have improved the upscaling in the newer models.

From the previous post, it looks like not every one is happy with Vu TVs. This is the blessing (and curse) as the OP is getting personalised opinions from various people who have direct experience with the ownership of the products.

Not to get too philosophical here.. It seems we already make a choice and try to understand why we made that choice!

Just on a different note about the original thread, if money is not playing a big role, I will be looking at OLED options but I guess they are still very expensive.

Last edited:
Do check Samsung. I have a 55 inch 4K Samsung I bought 2015 Diwali. I had looked at many options and found Samsung to be the best. Have seen no issues on multiple Samsung TVs we have (LED / LCD etc) and this one till date.

During my 3 weekend demos of 4K TVs, i somehow found Videocon to be the next best after Samsung. Not sure of reliability as never used.

Croma gave a really super deal. Need to negotiate real hard...

Since you plan to use for 5 years, better go for 4K. Even 720-1080p movies look much nicer !

Cheers

Thank you all for your very useful suggestions. Basis the same - I will choose between Sony; Panasonic and may be Samsung. Though I am still confused whether 4K or not. I visited a multi brand store today and compares a few normal Full HDs and 4K side by side (on Tata sky HD channels) and I felt that the picture of 4K was more dull that normal HD LEDs. May be I am unable to appreciate the 4K PQ but I felt more comfortable with the HD screen. Am I missing out on something here ? When does upscaling feature in 4K come into play ?

Also of the above brands can you please recommend the more favoured models (around 1L mark for both HD & 4K). Few of the interesting models that I am googling do not seem to be appearing in any of the online stores ?

Thanks again :)

I have been finding the Panasonic TH 55CX400 Ultra HD 4K a very interesting option. At the price point of 90k it seems to offer food value. However the lack of reviews of this model is making me a little uncertain. I will highly appreciate if someone can share reviews of the same. Thanks again.

Here is a review
Hope it helps

Thanks so much for this useful link. Basis this it shows this model to be a good value for money and sufficiently well performing unit. I was wondering in case there are any Suggestions India based reviews / user experience available on the net ? Thanks

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back