Please help me to decide the load of Volage Stabilizer for my HT setup

tellranga

Friends,
I need to buy a common servo digital voltage stabilizer to safeguard my 7.1 HT, LCD TV & XMP.
Following are the power consumption consumed by the electronic devices ,
  1. Onkyo 6200 Receiver - rating AC 220 - 240 V, 50 / 60 Hz , 470 W
  2. Onkyo sub - rating AC 220 - 240 V, 50 / 60 Hz , 137 W
  3. LG 32 LH35FR - 110W
  4. XMP - 12V DC, 3A
Have decided the make of stabilizer as Apex, but not sure whether I should go for 1KVA / 1.5 KVA / 2KVA.

One stabilizer sales person told me
  1. 0.5KVA for receiver +
  2. 0.5KVA for sub +
  3. 1KVA for LG + XMP + future devices like PS2, projector & DVDPlayer .
  4. So altogether 2KVA stabilizer is required.
But I felt he made a random guess, hence not sure whether he is guessing too low or too high.So thought of checking with our forum members.

Please guide me.

Thanks

Last edited:
well for ur current setup 1kv should do the job,don't forget those power consumption ratins are the max power consumption.if in a situation u do try to keep every settings to the max then a 2kv,would do the job.
ur 32" lg under ideal settings won't consume more then 70watts,the 110watts is when the backlight,volume is set to max and if any usb devices connected.
same goes to ur reciever,idealy it would be consuming around less then 250watts,only at maximum volume levels will it go near that figure.

if u do plan on adding a ps3,projector etc again a 2kv should do the job.

i briefly had a vertex 2kv costed 14k.does a fine job.

In my setup I use a 1.5 KVA APC smart UPS which takes up the entire load on my system with ease, even at peak levels. I hope this helps, to know about the gear connected to it please see the signature panel.

Hi Ashish,

You may be running a risk by using the UPS as a stabilizer and may be better off with a servo stabilizer if thats the objective.

To the original thread, typically, the TV would have a built-in stabilizer so you may not need to connect it. For the rest, there is a separate thread on calculation of stabilizer rating which you can use for reference.

Hi Ashish,

You may be running a risk by using the UPS as a stabilizer and may be better off with a servo stabilizer if thats the objective.

To the original thread, typically, the TV would have a built-in stabilizer so you may not need to connect it. For the rest, there is a separate thread on calculation of stabilizer rating which you can use for reference.

This Particular model of the UPS which I use also has voltage correction facility built into it, also it features pure cine wave output and like a servo with the rise in demand this unit increases or decreases the output and maintains the constant output of 220-230V.

Tellranga:

This has been discussed many times before. In any case, let me give a quick explanation.

for DC currents 1 Watt = 1 VA.

In AC, if the volts and amps are in phase, then, even for AC 1 Watt = 1 VA. If not, something called a power factor (PF) has to be taken into account. Generally, we can assume that the PF to be one, and thus can assume 1 watt as being equal to 1 VA.

In your case the total wattage, including your XMP, is 753 watts. Generally we assume an amp to draw extra power when it has to play at higher volumes or when there are music/movie tracks that ask for a sudden surge of power. In addition, amplifiers have what is called an 'inrush current'. When you switch an amplifier on, the transformer inside will draw several times the specified current till the capacitors inside get filled up. Generally it is recommended that you go in for twice or more the total calculated wattage to compensate for these sudden current requirements.

In your case, a 1.5KVA stabiliser would be ample for all your existing equipment.

cheers

Hey I happened to talk to the contact person here in Hyderabad and he gave me a quote for 10.5K including RFI/EMi filter, surge suppressor etc. for KRYKARD and then MAXINE guy for 9.5K. 2KVA Servo Stabilizer that is.

At first the Krykard quote given was 8K and when I asked if 13K in other cities incude something extra then he said adding all taxes etc it is 10.5K.

Am confused and surprised at these low prices.

Any guesses guys? This is for Hyderabad.

What all shuld we be asking or as a newbie look for in these high end servo stabilizers.:eek:

Am sure they can take a guy like me for a ride and I would just go and buy it.

MAXINE guy was strong in the opinion that his product is the best and rallied many pointsvis-a-vis competitors. I just listened and gave it pass.

Need ur inputs guys.

Thank you guys. I require a 2 kva servo stabiliser and this thread has really come as helpful. I have to get the price of Krykard, Aplab or Maxin brand at Delhi. Any way, any suggestion on Isolation transformer, please.

This Particular model of the UPS which I use also has voltage correction facility built into it, also it features pure cine wave output and like a servo with the rise in demand this unit increases or decreases the output and maintains the constant output of 220-230V.

hi ashish
what is the model # of your UPS and how much did u get this for? also does it in anyway affect your A/V's SQ? also this provides protection for voltage fluctuations/ surges etc. i suppose?

hi ashish
what is the model # of your UPS and how much did u get this for? also does it in anyway affect your A/V's SQ? also this provides protection for voltage fluctuations/ surges etc. i suppose?

well it doesn't effect SQ,many people i know use ups and yes it does protect from voltage fluctuation and surges.
but in a UPS u need to go for one that gives a sine wave output in backup mode.like the apc smart series.

hi ashish

I am using the APC smart series UPS and the model no. is SUA1500I, this is the link to the specification page of the same : APC Smart-UPS 1500VA USB & Serial 230V this thing costed me 15k in Delhi. For Voltage protection I am sure about it but for surges I also have a surge protector which is connected to the output of my UPS so I am not too worried on that front. There is no difference in SQ using this UPS and connecting it directly.

woah 15k! i thought UPS so wld be around 2-4k :rolleyes:
i'm in mumbai and overall get decently stable power so dont need the battery function of a UPS. just really need something to guard against the fluctuations (very infrequent) and surges (esp. during monsoons) for 3k or less.
any suggestions guys?
what do u guys think of this -
>>> SU-KAM <<< Leading manufacturer of Power Products in India, Only Power back up company manufacturing world class UPS, Home UPS, Online UPS, Inverters, Batteries, Battery Chargers, Solar Products

(asked on a previous post but didnt get any response to it, so guess not too many users)

Well I went ahead and bought a SERVOMAX 2KV Servo Stab here in Hyderabad. This is a Hyderabad based company and is 25 years in the business.

I called thier company - > Manager - . sales executive and got it delivered in 3 days.

My components are all connected to this - PS3 + Yamaha reciever + speakers. Donno abt load and went ora servo reading the numerous threads here.

It costed me 9.5K(all inclusive - noise filter, surge suppressor)

I have set it up and its kind of lessening sound quality than when I connect to mains.

Voltage is perefect at 230V.

http://www.servomax.net/home

Thanking specially never tiring Venkatji, Subhash, and Cranky posts.

Last edited:
The Alacrity Energy Services quoted Rs. 13.8k for their 3 KVA Servo Stabiliser incl. excise+CST+Freight to Noida. Local levies / Octroi will be extra. Buyer is to arrange relevant Road Permit or transit document. They can also arrange for billing through a Delhi based dealer, if procurement of transit documents is difficult for the buyer.
I requested for quotation from Aplab also. But they have not sent the same yet.
Friends, has anybody purchsed Krykard servo stabiliser in NCR? Is the above quoted price is ok?

Another information, Alacrity now a days get their single phase servo stabiliser manufactured by a licensed manufacturer M/s Reliable Electricals Chennai. Although Alacrity do marketing and takes full responsibility for product performance and after sales support. Alacrity has a service engineer at South Ext-1 New Delhi.

Would Alacrity be able maintain the product quality at the earlier level, when the same is manufactured by a licensed manufacturer?

woah 15k! i thought UPS so wld be around 2-4k :rolleyes:
i'm in mumbai and overall get decently stable power so dont need the battery function of a UPS. just really need something to guard against the fluctuations (very infrequent) and surges (esp. during monsoons) for 3k or less.
any suggestions guys?

well in that budget u can go for a V-Guard DIGI series of stabilizers.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back