Please Help!!! Need ideas & suggestions for stereo amp+bookshelf spk+ sub

raruntvm

Hello All

I beg your pardon if the description below seems absolute foolishness to you..am not a tech guy...

I am planning to buy a decent stereo amplifier set up mostly for music and sometimes for movies as well. Im not intrested in having a 5.1 surround sound anymore though a normal pc will be serving as the source for the audio signals. What am planning to get is a stereo amp with a minimum of 60watts per Channel @8ohms which allow me to connect one seperate subwoofer to it somehow. For speakers am planning to get 3 way bookshelf speakers. Each may have a 6" - 12" woofer with one dome tweeter and midrange tweeter. If am not getting this speaker setup in market am ready to DIY...

My total budget for all these will.be around 30k-40k(i dont know whether ill get all these in this price range).

Please provide your valuable ideas and suggestions. I hope ill get help from experts like you.

Thanks in advance..

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Tapatalk

Hello All

I beg your pardon if the description below seems absolute foolishness to you..am not a tech guy...

I am planning to buy a decent stereo amplifier set up mostly for music and sometimes for movies as well. Im not intrested in having a 5.1 surround sound anymore though a normal pc will be serving as the source for the audio signals. What am planning to get is a stereo amp with a minimum of 60watts per Channel @8ohms which allow me to connect one seperate subwoofer to it somehow. For speakers am planning to get 3 way bookshelf speakers. Each may have a 6" - 12" woofer with one dome tweeter and midrange tweeter. If am not getting this speaker setup in market am ready to DIY...

My total budget for all these will.be around 30k-40k(i dont know whether ill get all these in this price range).

Please provide your valuable ideas and suggestions. I hope ill get help from experts like you.

Thanks in advance..

First of all, Welcome raruntvm to forum.

Using Sub with Stereo Amplifier/Receiver
Normally music listening may not require a separate sub, but it depends on individual's taste really.
If you want to use a stereo setup for music as well as movies, sub would really add enjoyable experience for movies at least.
I am writing following options considering that your stereo amplifier does not have sub out (as normally you don't get it in stereo amplifier).

Option 1. If using Powered Sub
Stereo Amp ----(speaker cable)----> Sub Speaker IN
Sub Speaker Out -----(speaker cable)-----> Speakers

a) Connect one end of speaker cables to stereo amplifier and other end to sub into speaker-in. Normally all active/powered sub have speaker IN and OUT.
b) Now connect your speakers to Sub on Speaker Out jacks. This just like connecting your speakers to any amplifier/receiver.

Option 2. If Amplifier has speaker A + B options
a) Amplifier Speaker Set "A" - Connect your speakers
b) Amplifier Speaker Set "B" - Connect your Sub
Now, you can use A + B if you want to use speakers + sub both specially when watching movies, or just A to run speakers without sub.

Need not to say that there could be other possible options, let us know if above options don't fulfill your needs.

Coming onto choice for stereo amplifier, speakers and sub, having budget of 40K
Stereo Amplifier
I would see Norge 2060@10K (60W@8 Ohm), Norge 1000@14-15K (80WPC@8 Ohm), You may also get a pre-owned amplifier with approx. cost 15K
Marantz PM 5005 and Yamaha R-S2xx @21-23K.

Bookshelf
You have mentioned 3-Way Bookshelf, I am not sure if it is a good ideal or even if I have seen 3-Way bookshelf except a few old Onkyo models.
You should ideally get 2-Way Bookshelf within 15-20K budget.
Now, for Norge amplifier: Norge Bookshelf@14-15K, Boston Acoustics [email protected] from HFiMart, Warfe Diamong [email protected] from HiFiMART, you can also try pre-owned to get better speakers within your budget.

Sub
It might cost you approx. 15-20K for new one, you can search for pre-owned as well.

I think you should be looking at Stereo Amplifier + Bookshelf to start with, and later you can go for sub.

If on 40K strict budget for all three, then:
Norge Amp (10-15K) ) + Bookshelf (15-19K) + Sub (10-15K, possible to get decent sub if look for pre-owned)

If not on 40K strict budget, then:
Marantz PM5005 + BA A26 looks decent, Marantz PM5005 + Warfe 220 are more than decent but may lack bass because of speakers. If you are willing to add a sub then this is a good option. Sub to be added later.

Hope it helps.

Last edited:
Hi raruntvm,

Based on your budget, i suggest you look at Hifiads.com and For Sale by Owner section in HFV where you may just find something.....

what guddu478 said. In addition you could look for some class d amps in the 10k price range with built in DAC.Something like the SMSL Q5 Pro.

Normally music listening may not require a separate sub, but it depends on individual's taste really.
If you want to use a stereo setup for music as well as movies, sub would really add enjoyable experience for movies at least.
I am writing following options considering that your stereo amplifier does not have sub out (as normally you don't get it in stereo amplifier).

a) Connect one end of speaker cables to stereo amplifier and other end to sub into speaker-in. Normally all active/powered sub have speaker IN and OUT.
b) Now connect your speakers to Sub on Speaker Out jacks. This just like connecting your speakers to any amplifier/receiver.

Now, you can use A + B if you want to use speakers + sub both specially when watching movies, or just A to run speakers without sub.

Need not to say that there could be other possible options, let us know if above options don't fulfill your needs.

Stereo Amplifier
I would see Norge 2060@10K (60W@8 Ohm), Norge 1000@14-15K (80WPC@8 Ohm), You may also get a pre-owned amplifier with approx. cost 15K

Bookshelf
You have mentioned 3-Way Bookshelf, I am not sure if it is a good ideal or even if I have seen 3-Way bookshelf except a few old Onkyo models.
Now, for Norge amplifier: Norge Bookshelf@14-15K, Boston Acoustics [email protected] from HFiMart, Warfe Diamong [email protected] from HiFiMART, you can also try pre-owned to get better speakers within your budget.

Sub
It might cost you approx. 15-20K for new one, you can search for pre-owned as well.

I think you should be looking at Stereo Amplifier + Bookshelf to start with, and later you can go for sub.

Norge Amp (10-15K) ) + Bookshelf (15-19K) + Sub (10-15K, possible to get decent sub if look for pre-owned)

Marantz PM5005 + BA A26 looks decent, Marantz PM5005 + Warfe 220 are more than decent but may lack bass because of speakers. If you are willing to add a sub then this is a good option. Sub to be added later.

Hope it helps.
Thank you guddu478 for your massive help...

Personaly i would like to here music with more bass so i prefer to use a sub and unfortunatley Norge models dont support subs. I am impressed with your idea of using sub with B speakers thanks for that.

I came across MARANTZ M-CR511 MELODY STREAM. i dont know whether these are stereo amps but they satisfies all my requirements except the budget..what do you say. can anyone give a feedback on this...

Hi guddu Well now am thinking of getting Norge Concerto Gold 1000
after reading others suggestions i felt its good to go. Sadly i dont have an option to audition it in banglore or if am wrong please let me kNow if there is any place here in Bangalore to audition it. Speakers am thinking to DIY

Thank you guddu478 for your massive help...

Personaly i would like to here music with more bass so i prefer to use a sub and unfortunatley Norge models dont support subs. I am impressed with your idea of using sub with B speakers thanks for that.

I came across MARANTZ M-CR511 MELODY STREAM. i dont know whether these are stereo amps but they satisfies all my requirements except the budget..what do you say. can anyone give a feedback on this...

MARANTZ M-CR511 is stereo receiver and has wireless features. It is a product of different league, basically for those who need everything within one box. I have not been a fan of such boxes, however it could be way to go if it suits your need.

As far as bass is concerned, any good bookshelf provide enough bass for music listening. Too much boominess may suppress the charm & magic of vocals/music, that's why everyone (I guess) here would suggest to go for speakers first and add sub later if you feel it is really required.

However, I would suggest to visit near places and listen to 2-Way or 3-WAY Floorstands. Because of more no. of mid/bass drivers, it produces more bass punch.
Having said that, I would also say that it's difficult to achieve the body-slamming bass (which adds another level of magic in movie experience) without a sub and must for multi-channel home theatre setup.
So, give it a try if possible and feel the difference between bookshelf and floorstands. May be it could fulfil your requirement of additional bass without adding a sub.
There are many options between 21 - 26K for floorstands, like Norge, Sonodyne, Polk Audio, etc.

Norge 1000 is a good amplifier to start with. many of us started our musical journey with Norge and moved further with the time after learning more from its listening experience.
It does not provide A+B speaker options, so if you want to add a sub later then you will have make connections as below:

[Amplifier]>>>>speaker cable>>>> [Sub Speaker IN]
[Sub Speaker OUT]>>>>speaker cable>>>>SPEAKERS

If it is getting difficult for you to put everything within your budget, why don't you think of getting a pre-owned/used stereo amplifier. It can give you more value for your money.
Good amplifiers, AVRs, speakers are built to last for many many years.

Very nicely explained in plain terms guddu, thanks for such a detailed and simple explanation to someone who is starting the journey.

Exactly the thread I was looking for.
@guddu478: I see you have Dali Zensor 3 and PM6005. have you tried a sub with this combination?

Hello...All
Without any Audition I'm gonna take Norge and speaker will be either Yamaha NS8390 or NS-F160.

Hello...All
Without any Audition I'm gonna take Norge and speaker will be either Yamaha NS8390 or NS-F160.

Without audition? Why? Wrong decision.
You will be better served with other speakers than Yamaha, if at all possible then please look at other options. The 150 is better than 8390 if you absolutely have to go with Yamaha.
There was a Wharfedale Diamond 9 for sale in the forum for only 5K, that would have been a much better way forward than the Yamaha's you mentioned.

The wharfedales are still on sale last seen yday. Do check out. Btw smsl q5 Pro is pretty good when I heard it on a 2.1. And pretty affordable too

The norge concerto gold is a very good amp esp at the price range. Even if you cant audition, i doubt you will be unhappy with it when you get it. What will be important is pairing it with the right speaker. So perhaps you should wait till you receive the amp, then carry it around to outlets to test on a speaker. I know if pairs well with the wharfedale diamond 220 bookshelves. imo thats the one you should go with at the budget

Stereo Amplifier

Bookshelf

Sub

Hope it helps.

Hello, i have Marantz PM5005 Amp, Bose 301 Stereo bookshelf speakers and Kef PSW2500 subwoofer. I use Marantz's record out to connect subwoofer but even full down main volume subwoofer still produce sounds and at whenever i increase the main volume subwoofer sounds like decrease. My amplifer has A + B speaker chanels. is it possible to use this option ( Option 2. If Amplifier has speaker A + B options ) in my subwoofer ?

Hi,
If your sub accepts regular speaker connection then try connecting it to speaker B terminals and run A+B. I think it may work that way.

The thread re-alived after two years. Since the thread starter @raruntvm didnot conclude about his perchase of amp+speaker, I am very curious to know what combo is he using and what was the sources of those gadgets

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back