Please help newbie to decide on his first system

Depends on your need and your budget.

Right now you should be okay with 5.1 since there is almost no 7.1 content available, so a pair of 9.DFS (dipole speakers) for the surrounds, a 9.CS (or 9.CC) for the centre, and an SW150 for the sub should complete your setup.

later on you can add another pair of 9.DFS or 9.1/9.0 for the rear surrounds.

If you want your rear channel to be as beefy as your front channels, then you can use another pair of 9.5s, but that may be a bit of overkill, especially if you're adding a sub.

Thanks for the well furnished reply friends....

I bought Onkyo TX SR 705 and wharfedale 9.5 speakers and now using it in stereo mode...

i would like to make my 2 channel setup to a 7.1 setup// which all speakers in wharfedale 9 series should i buy to make it a 7.1 setup??

You can talk about an investment for 10 to 15 years in audio. But I am afraid it is not possible in video. Over the last 5 years, we have moved from 480i Analogue and CRTs to LCD/Plasmas, 1080P, and pure digital processing. With digital processing and the high rate of progress in integrated chips, the rate of technical improvements in image processing will only accelerate. To a large extent, Asus is showing the way with their new PC based multichannel audio. I am sure the day is not far away when high end video processing such as those using HQV Reon or VRS will come down to a small video processing board on a PC. Oppo did that on a DVD Player, and I am sure it will become common place by the year end. Already many medium and high end AVRs are powered by VRS or Reon processors. I am sure Fardoudja is also working very hard to bring technologies to beat VRS and Reon.

Companies such as Anchor Bay, Silicon Optrix, Vivace and others are already working on 1800P and above for release by 2010. Remember, these technologies are already in place in high end labs and in professional studios. In addition, technology to deliver something close to 500GB on a single disc is already in place. This means the capacity to show a movie with a resolution that is some 20 times better than a Blu-Ray!!

For displays, TV companies are delivering quantum jump in display technology literally every year. From a contrast ration of 2000:1 just a couple of years ago, we are today looking at 40,000:1, 100Hz, and 24FPS which is the closest you can get to a movie on a film.

Though Onkyo, Denon, and Yamaha are good in different ways, you must first decide your priority.

When you say 60% for Music, and 40% for movies, I would say it is a vague statement.

How do you listen to music now? What equipment do you use now? Have you heard audiophile equipment? Can you differentiate between a good and bad amplifier? Do you understand what distortion is, and can you 'hear' distortion at say 20 watts? What is your main source of music - CDs, MP4, Radio, Tape? How much music (say CDs) do you have with you? How many hours do you spend a day listening to music with no disturbance? Have you heard a few songs so many times that you know every nuance of the song? Do you know when the singer breathes in deep? Do you know exactly when a drum beat will start, and when the violins will take over?

The point I am trying to get to here is that any AVR will deliver decent sound for music and pretty good sound for movies. AVRs from companies such as Onkyo, Denon, and Yamaha will work very well for movies and reasonably well for music.

How to differentiate between the three? Only by your own ears. Why? Simply because your taste in music and the way you listen to music is unique and individual.

If you are particular about music the way I am talking, none of these AVRs will work for you. One of the best option is to get an inexpensive stereo amp from Norge or a lower version from NAD or CA. This will satisfy your music needs. You can then get a budget AVR to satisfy your movie needs.

If you want to combine the two, and you are at least a partial audiophile, none of the three models may suffice. It may be better to look for an AVR from NAD or CA at the budget level that will deliver exceedingly well for both movies and music, particularly music.

Many of us will recommend may products based on our own auditioning or use. Will this work for you? I doubt it unless we both have the same taste in music and listen to music in the same way. And, that my friend, is impossible.

Prioritise and let us know how serious you are in terms of your percentages in terms of music vs movies.

Cheers

Venkat, you must have scared the poor guy with your posting!!!

Totally agree with you on AVR's sounding bad for music, at least my Yamaha 663+ Wharfdale does not sound too good.

Most people on this forum mention they want a home theater set up with needs more towards music than movies.
I'm bit confused on this requirement, isn't the whole of a HT system is to get a theater like feel while watching movies at home.If music is priority wont it make sense investing in a good stereo amp + towers ?

first of all... sorry for the delayed replys.. i only have limited access to net.....thts why!!!

I bought the Onkyo TX SR 705 for 47K and the wharf 9.5 for 26K from Trivandrum, Kerala.....

Now planning to build a 5.1 system.... one doubt... can I mix speakers from diffenet companies for the setup??

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back