please suggest a budget media player to buy in US

Naveenbnc

Hello All,

Please suggest a budget media player to buy in US and bring to India.
Requirements are as follows:

1. Should play good quality MP3, & lossless (FLAC) music
2. Should play bigger size BR rips from external hard disc or pen drive
3. Lan & Wi-fi, to play online content
4. I will upgrade my audio setup to 5.2.2 or 5.2.4 dolby atmos in near future. media player should handle it....

(I am not sure if I should get a blue ray player with above features)

I am sure I get some recommendations if I go through the threads here, but I am really really really tied up with some projects, and unable to do research. That's why I am seeking seniors help ....

Budget ... $100 to $150 (if it is beyond this rage, I can think on it too ... )

If there are budget media players with above features that I can buy in India under 10 to 15k I will buy here with warranty.
Any suggestions will be a great help

Thanks & regards
Naveen

Get Nvidia Shield 2017 version from USA during Black Friday deals...
You won't find a more capable media player than that currently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If there are budget media players with above features that I can buy in India under 10 to 15k I will buy here with warranty.

You can consider a MOBO+ CPU+ RAM + Internal HD, from the used market.. You can get this for 4 ~ 5K depending on capability..

Upgrade it with a good power supply from corsair, a good cabinet, wireless keyboard mouse, wireless LAN adaptor capability..

You can add internal hard disk as & when possible.. So this can store your BR Rips..

I have a desk top CPU with the below (attached image) configuration.
Its working fine. If I can make a htpc... will it be on par with a media player, like Nvidia shield..?

Nvidia shield is having lot of appreciations in our forum lately...

I need something that can easily bitstream audio to avr.
(I have an office laptop, but I dont want to use it for entertainment purpose)

86e95a173c0557c811dbc3c67822a0d7.jpg
acd45bfeb77bab58b3848e70a8a28190.jpg

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Its working fine. If I can make a htpc... will it be on par with a media player, like Nvidia shield..?

Yes.. This will be the best option to make a good media device in an inexpensive way.. U will need a graphics card with HDMI, which can bitsream to AVR..(Zotac Nvidia)..

You have plenty of applications (free) to support music/movie playback from PC..

NVIDIA Shield is the best choice. Especially if you want the newer formats like HEVC and HDR.

A GPU (for your existing HTPC) will also do it, but considering the present prices of GPUs it will actually cost more than the NVIDIA Shied, and provided you can actually get one.

For what it costs, and easy availability, plus the tons of features it has, and the formats it handles, simply go with the NVIDIA Shield.

thank you so much seniors ... :):):) earlier I was a bit directionless... now i have a clue which way to think :clapping: thanks a lot !!!!

Will nvidia Shield work in India ? Do I have to use VPN ? like will Amazon prime come with India content or will it be restricted ?

Nvidia shield is having lot of appreciations in our forum lately...

I need something that can easily bitstream audio to avr.
(I have an office laptop, but I dont want to use it for entertainment purpose)

PC will work, but power foot prints and space also need to be addressed, especially power consumption. Shield will work as good as a PC with 1/10 of the power of PC, plus shield has lot more other advantages .... coming from an experienced user, shield at present wins hands down ..

Sam9S are you able to use it in India ? Amazon Prime, Netflix, Google play movies etc ? and even Vudu with VPN if possible ?

Yes all works since APV and Netflix, are officially launched so works, hotstar also works but via side loading. VUDU does not work, even with vpn.

+1 to Nvidia shield. They have a remote only pack on sale for $149 which pretty much takes care of all the av needs.Even the pack with controller is on discount at $169

I am also on same page. Finally decided to buy himedia q5 pro.
It is dolby licensed support atoms also. It has Amazon prime video app. 13k in Amazon waiting for discount. Same price in US.

Been using Nvidia shield 2017 which i got from US for almost 6 months now. Got a 16gb version and added a 64gb usb 3.0 pend drive to add as internal storage. No worries till now. Handles all the formats ( both video and audio) effortlessly. It can bitstream Dolby Atmos to receiver. So very happy for the 200$ which i spend.

Hello All,

Please suggest a budget media player to buy in US and bring to India.
Requirements are as follows:

1. Should play good quality MP3, & lossless (FLAC) music
2. Should play bigger size BR rips from external hard disc or pen drive
3. Lan & Wi-fi, to play online content
4. I will upgrade my audio setup to 5.2.2 or 5.2.4 dolby atmos in near future. media player should handle it....

(I am not sure if I should get a blue ray player with above features)

I am sure I get some recommendations if I go through the threads here, but I am really really really tied up with some projects, and unable to do research. That's why I am seeking seniors help ....

Budget ... $100 to $150 (if it is beyond this rage, I can think on it too ... )

Thanks & regards
Naveen
Hi Naveen , you could try the ibox media player. Its an india brand but its awesome.

Cheers!
Anand

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back