Please suggest a Dolby Atmos AVR to bring from US

chaitanyaht3

Dear all,
My friend will be coming from US in November. (he is already crying with his own luggage, but accepted to bring an avr)

Can you suggest a good Dolby Atmos AVR (5.2.4 or 5.2.2) please?
Budget is upto 60K in Indian currency. (Can stretch if its really necessary...)
Usage will be primarily for movies. It should be a powerful and punchy performer if those words are right to use.
(Music is not a priority. ill use a separate sterio amp)
All I care about is a good audio for movies. Its ok if it doesn't have all the latest bells and whistles.

I searched the following brands as far as I can, and got confused a bit. :sad:
Yamaha
Onkyo
Denon
Pioneer and
Marantz

I am willing to add a separate amp for two channels in necessary.
(I mean if the avr can extend to more channels with an external amp)

I know warranty wont work in India, so I am looking for a reliable one with less risk of repairs if possible.
Is accessories4less.com a good place to buy? Are they damaged products selling after repair?

I will be very thankful for any help from seniors.
Regards
Chaitanya

Last edited:
Accessories4less is refurbished items - If it is dealer refurbished item - then it should be okay. Factory refurbished could be hit or miss.

So far from what I have seen Crutchfield seems to have the lowest price. Denon X4300H is powerful 9.2 AVR and lets you add additional 2 channels with external power amplification. It should cost $800 ~ 55K INR. Anything beyond 50K attracts Customs.

thank you Arun, as far as I understand, refurbished items are those returned by customers for various reasons, and later repaired. I hope I am right....
I will buy from amazon, or a new item from dealer if refurbished one is risky.

Last edited:
Dealer refurbished are returns from customers. Factory refurbishes are likely to items returned for issues and issues subsequently fixed by manufacturers.

Dear all,
My friend will be coming from US in November. (he is already crying with his own luggage, but accepted to bring an avr)

Even if it is excess baggage, grab it.. It doesn't cost much..

Usage will be primarily for movies. It should be a powerful and punchy performer if those words are right to use.

One more vote for Denon x 4300.. It is 7.2.4 capable with additional power amp..

You will need a stereo amplifier that has both Pre-in & Pre-out jumpers to add to your AVR.. Or a 2 channel power amplifier..

Build from what you have already..I mean after spending so much money on AVR, speakers & subwoofer, why add stereo amp?

Yamaha
Onkyo
Denon
Pioneer and
Marantz

There are other products from competing brands, but not at your budget..

The current on amazon.com is very good for the Denon x 4300, so don't wait for big sale.. Grab it sooner, and your friend can keep it juz boxed at his place..

hello elangoas,

I already have a sterio amp.
So even if the avr is not very good at music, its ok for me. That's why I asked for an avr "primarily for movies". But if it can do a good job in music, that will be a bonus for me.
Thank you for giving a positive vote for Denon X4300.

Dear all,

All I care about is a good audio for movies. Its ok if it doesn't have all the latest bells and whistles.

I searched the following brands as far as I can, and got confused a bit. :sad:
Yamaha
Onkyo
Denon
Pioneer and
Marantz

I know warranty wont work in India, so I am looking for a reliable one with less risk of repairs if possible.
Is accessories4less.com a good place to buy? Are they damaged products selling after repair?

I will be very thankful for any help from seniors.
Regards
Chaitanya

It will look like jhumritalaiyya :lol:
Why?
I will tell. Speaker one company. Amp one company. Player another company. Decoder another company?
None of them will be made keeping in mind another company's product. If it were so, they would have bought out a product themselves isnt it?

You have asked suggestion.
I am giving suggestion.
This is perhaps the best AV receiver today.
9.2ch AV Receiver for Custom Installation
STR-ZA5000ES
This is a Sony product.
Price might be 143114.22 Indian Rupees.

But again nowhere have you explained how big your room is, is it a dedicated room or simply you will be stuffing in this with the other things in the room?

All these things matter.
If simply you want dhan dhan sound to play some downloaded stuff from YIFY or Extra torrents, better not invest 60 thousand. Go for some local amp and player, you can fine tune them better than the branded one's like
Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Sony.

Best way to enjoy music or movies is going for stock home theater. Sony is the best brand available.

Its a suggestion. Hope you take it in right way.

Hello all, im sorry that I didn't tell you my current setup.
Im using yamaha yht196.

I want to build a ht setup in a dedicated room (12x14). Generally its good to buy speakers first and then select avr.
But im getting a chance to get an avr from us.

I would say il go for a step by step speaker purchase.

Why?
I will tell. Speaker one company. Amp one company. Player another company. Decoder another company?
None of them will be made keeping in mind another company's product. If it were so, they would have bought out a product themselves isnt it?

You have asked suggestion.
I am giving suggestion.
STR-ZA5000ES
This is a Sony product.

But again nowhere have you explained how big your room is, is it a dedicated room or simply you will be stuffing in this with the other things in the room?

All these things matter.
If simply you want dhan dhan sound to play some downloaded stuff from YIFY or Extra torrents, better not invest 60 thousand. Go for some local amp and player, you can fine tune them better than the branded one's like
Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Sony.

Best way to enjoy music or movies is going for stock home theater. Sony is the best brand available.

Its a suggestion. Hope you take it in right way.

Hey... any suggestion is worth noting down. I dont want dhan dhan sound at all. I want audiophile quality output only. I deleted a large collection of mp3s just because of their average quality. If this particular sony avr is a good product il check it for sure. Thanks a lot. :licklips:

Hey... any suggestion is worth noting down. I dont want dhan dhan sound at all. I want audiophile quality output only. I deleted a large collection of mp3s just because of their average quality. If this particular sony avr is a good product il check it for sure. Thanks a lot. :licklips:

If you setting up something, home theater or music system. It depends mainly on the voltage. For that you need to have good stabilizer.

Now what stabilizer is good? You should do the math. 3-4 items their power consumption should align with your electricity supply.

These so called companies will show their true colour once something goes wrong with the setup.

They will blame it on anything from power to the setup.
In warranty, is fine. Out of warranty you need service centers and spares.
That is very doubtful if your setup us made up of 3-4 items.

On the other hand if you buy a stock, you can get your hands on their collar once something goes wrong.

Consumer courts will find it easy to catch hold of thieves easily if product is from a single company.

But most of it, sound and the experience matters. Dedicated stock systems are made keeping in mind music directors, movie directors in mind. They are fine tuned for a particular space and particular sound.

If you can gets hands on phone number of Sonodyne technical manager, he can suggest you some good combo for HT or MS.

While talking to him you can tell your room size etc. Why Sonodyne? Its easily repairable anywhere. Not like hi-fi brands such as Denon etc.

Why?

Without user flexibility, how is a HT set-up supposed to be done?

STR-ZA5000ES
This is a Sony product.

The user had asked for an AVR that he can fetch from US for $800.. You have suggested him a $2,000 product..

95% of the members have their expensive gear in living room.. Only few have the luxury of dedicated rooms..

If simply you want dhan dhan sound to play some downloaded stuff from YIFY or Extra torrents, better not invest 60 thousand.

Which audio track of a movie produce dhan dhan sound ?

The sources that you have mentioned have good audio tracks in the BR Rips..

Go for some local amp and player, you can fine tune them better than the branded one's like Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Sony.

Which local amp would you suggest the user?

What is a stock home theater?

If you setting up something, home theater or music system. It depends mainly on the voltage. For that you need to have good stabilizer.

Now what stabilizer is good? You should do the math. 3-4 items their power consumption should align with your electricity supply.

I use a double booster for my AVR, which really helps to run in low voltage too (Rural Area)..

These so called companies will show their true colour once something goes wrong with the setup.

They will blame it on anything from power to the setup.
In warranty, is fine. Out of warranty you need service centers and spares.
That is very doubtful if your setup us made up of 3-4 items.

This is confusing..If the AVR goes kaput, you can check with service center (or) any technician..If something wrong with speakers, mostly a dealer would help..

On the other hand if you buy a stock, you can get your hands on their collar once something goes wrong.

Consumer courts will find it easy to catch hold of thieves easily if product is from a single company.

But most of it, sound and the experience matters. Dedicated stock systems are made keeping in mind music directors, movie directors in mind. They are fine tuned for a particular space and particular sound.

Do you mean one should always purchase all the products from single company ?.. Would be happy to know what stock systems do the movie/music directors own in India..

If you can gets hands on phone number of Sonodyne technical manager, he can suggest you some good combo for HT or MS.

While talking to him you can tell your room size etc. Why Sonodyne? Its easily repairable anywhere.

Sonodyne doesn't have an AVR.. They have a 7.1 Pre-amp/processor which doesn't have Dolby Atmos/ Dts X and is designed to be used with Active speakers (or) power amplifier + speakers..

And for speakers, there are more products that an user can consider for any budget..

Not like hi-fi brands such as Denon etc.

Would it be safe to say that ProFx, the largest distributor of Denon AVR in this country has more access points than the home grown Sonodyne has/had ?

Thanks a lot John !!!! Stabilizer is something il surely look into. Regarding sonodyne, i heard about good subs they make. Il check their ht components as well.

Local companies are there, but i have an opportunity that my friend can bring from US. I was hopeful to get a mid range avr at a reasonable cost. The same models are highly priced in india. That way I will have more budget for good speakers.

Local companies are there, but i have an opportunity that my friend can bring from US. I was hopeful to get a mid range avr at a reasonable cost. The same models are highly priced in india. That way I will have more budget for good speakers.

You might have heard of Indiamart. You list your requirement with them, talk to a few sellers. See if they have something in your town/city on display.

These people offer the best deals in electronic goods. I am not associated with them but have purchased twice from sellers listed.

I suggest go for a demo in your town/city based on your need and what is available. Only then make the decision for purchase.

You tell some friend to bring something from somewhere, it is quite risky.

Hifi mart also provides these kind of services. But if you want Indian products, go to Indiamart.

Other easiest option is a Sony product. There too you go for demo and then purchase.

Simply buy something and then want to re-sell it here or on OLX, no buyers waiting for exchange, nobody ready to exchange, this forums has scores of people who took wrong decision to set up some system and failed utterly.

Then they simply want to discard it at throw away price or seek exhorbitant price because they had paid more while buying it. Talk to few people on
For Sale by Owner

In Kannada there is a saying "Ooododanna kottu odrodanna togondange" something like "From pan to fire?" It should not be that in your case.

Hope this helped.

Demo options are always limited. Secondly, the systems sound differently in demo rooms, and sound different when we bring home. A lot of factors come into picture here. My cousins ht setup sounded very different in his hall and childrens bedroom.

Going for demos is intresting, but limited options. Im guessing mid range avrs may have different sound signatures, but il go ahead with a gut feeling that mid range avrs wont disappoint us even if we buy without demo.

Marantz is great for music as far as I know. I read in some threads that SR series is good in marantz. Can you tell me how is its movie performance please....

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back