Please suggest a good configuration for HTPC

I think for an HTPC, the chassis you choose is an important factor.

Look at the ones from Streacom

they look like they belong on the av rack.
Again, choose the motherboard form factor based on your cpu power requirement and also expansion slot options.

Just to add, if you really want to add audiophile grade components, add JCAT usb and LAN card with separate power supplies.

This is the Config i thinking.. i have a separate stereo setup so my focus is only to have good video engine, either Intel or AMD

CategoryModel
Intel Processori7-10700F
Motherboard Intel 10th GenMSI Z490I Unify
AMD ProcessorRyzen 5 3600
Monther BoardMSI MPG B550I
Memory16 GB 3600 MHZ
Graphics Card1660 Chipset
SSDSamsung 1TB EVO
BlurayLG
CabinetCooler Master NR200P
SMPSMasterWatt Lite 750W

Newbie to this forum and kindly excuse my question and for being a spoilsport here.
I built my first HTPC in early 2006 and streaming devices were unavailable. Boxee box is the first streaming device that came and failed, if I am not wrong. Then came Roku. Have used everything. Have been bit outdated on HTPC as I stopped upgrading since 2011 and focusing on other technologies.
OP's question is purely based on his interest to explore HTPC I guess.

My question in general: Is there any particular reason for spending so much of money on a HTPC now? Whatever you spend on HTPC can be used for getting a better HTR and speakers and improving acoustics. May I know from the current HTPC builders and users about the benefit of building a HTPC.

In a HTPC build, noise plays a major factor and all the suggestions on HTPC is focusing on performance. Trying to learn again. Thanks in advance.

Newbie to this forum and kindly excuse my question and for being a spoilsport here.
I built my first HTPC in early 2006 and streaming devices were unavailable. Boxee box is the first streaming device that came and failed, if I am not wrong. Then came Roku. Have used everything. Have been bit outdated on HTPC as I stopped upgrading since 2011 and focusing on other technologies.
OP's question is purely based on his interest to explore HTPC I guess.

My question in general: Is there any particular reason for spending so much of money on a HTPC now? Whatever you spend on HTPC can be used for getting a better HTR and speakers and improving acoustics. May I know from the current HTPC builders and users about the benefit of building a HTPC.

In a HTPC build, noise plays a major factor and all the suggestions on HTPC is focusing on performance. Trying to learn again. Thanks in advance.
Hi Mate,

If this question is for me....actually i have Nvidia shield Pro and my laptop stopped working... so for dual purpose (Generic PC use for home and for HT), i thought of making a HTPC also, this decision is made after investing in for decent acoustics , Speakers and amp etc not high end btw.

And one more important point for me to go for HTPC is Madvr HDR Tonemapping feature.

Btw... still the plan is in deciding phase , its insane to get a graphic card now in market or for that matter world wide... atleast till end of 2021, there will huge demand on GPUs as per the internet infos.

Happy to discuss further. ..

Hi Mate,

If this question is for me....actually i have Nvidia shield Pro and my laptop stopped working... so for dual purpose (Generic PC use for home and for HT), i thought of making a HTPC also, this decision is made after investing in for decent acoustics , Speakers and amp etc not high end btw.

And one more important point for me to go for HTPC is Madvr HDR Tonemapping feature.

Btw... still the plan is in deciding phase , its insane to get a graphic card now in market or for that matter world wide... atleast till end of 2021, there will huge demand on GPUs as per the internet infos.

Happy to discuss further. ..
Thanks for the reply. My question is more to understand the reasons to build a HTPC in the current age and not directly to you. I don't want to hijack your thread.
Your reasoning about multipurpose PC / HTPC and madVR justifies your investment. I noted the HT setup from your signature and you have a good one by the way

For time being, i have to drop the idea of building HTPC, the graphic cards price are insanely high and its on high demand :(

Meanwhile, let me enjoy with my Nvidia Shield Pro...

For time being, i have to drop the idea of building HTPC, the graphic cards price are insanely high and its on high demand :(

Meanwhile, let me enjoy with my Nvidia Shield Pro...

One of the worst periods to buy a GPU right now, feel lucky having picked from used market few months back. Used market prices are also 10-15k more now.

I am using old gen Intel NUC as HTPC for past five years. It struggles to play h265 codec files and 4K files.

Intel NUC is cute little box which has all the capabilities required for HTPC and small enough to hide within your AV equipments.

There are multiple options available. From Intel Atom to Intel i-7 with price range starting from less than 11000.

You need to invest on RAM, HDD, Operating System additionally.

I would recommend to choose i-5 based Intel NUC.
thats because prior to 6th gen intel core i3/i5/i7 processors, their chips did not have quick sync. Even my 4th Gen Core i7 4720hq struggles with 4k 60fps (24fps runs fine) with CPU usage climbing to 100% whereas my much slower core i5 7200u plays it back with minimal CPU usage.

If you want only HTPC use for watching movies then this will be more than enough.

CategoryModel
Intel Processori3 10100F
Motherboard Intel 10th GenMSI H410M PRO VH
Memory8 GB 3200 MHZ you can add another 8GB if you need in future
Graphics Card1650 Chipset
SSDSamsung 500GB EVO for OS, for storage, get HDD as per requirement
BlurayLG
CabinetCooler Master NR200P- whichever looks good to you
SMPSMasterWatt Lite 450W

If you want only HTPC use for watching movies then this will be more than enough.

CategoryModel
Intel Processori3 10100F
Motherboard Intel 10th GenMSI H410M PRO VH
Memory8 GB 3200 MHZ you can add another 8GB if you need in future
Graphics Card1650 Chipset
SSDSamsung 500GB EVO for OS, for storage, get HDD as per requirement
BlurayLG
CabinetCooler Master NR200P- whichever looks good to you
SMPSMasterWatt Lite 450W
Thanks mate its not only for watching.. i need to have the HDR Tone mapping and 4K upscaling..through MADVR. I tried in a i7 8th gen, 16 gb ram laptop and uhd gpu... It struggled :( so my idea is to have RTX 20XX GPU atleast

Thanks mate its not only for watching.. i need to have the HDR Tone mapping and 4K upscaling..through MADVR. I tried in a i7 8th gen, 16 gb ram laptop and uhd gpu... It struggled :( so my idea is to have RTX 20XX GPU atleast
Iam referring this thread for recommendations.

thats because prior to 6th gen intel core i3/i5/i7 processors, their chips did not have quick sync. Even my 4th Gen Core i7 4720hq struggles with 4k 60fps (24fps runs fine) with CPU usage climbing to 100% whereas my much slower core i5 7200u plays it back with minimal CPU usage.
Does the i5 requires external gpu for 4k hdr blueray playback or its igpu plays it.

Does i5 plays 4k hdr blueray movie such as 4k remux without external gpu

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back