Please suggest a GPU with hdmi output for audio connection to connect with Yamaha 667

Re: Please suggest a GPU with hdmi output for audio connection to connect with Yamaha

^^ I still am not sure what the confusion is, but for me both MPCHC and XBMC can sent multich AAC 5.1 to avr.

When aac is send as RAW, the avr will see it as two channel only. So it will use dolby prologic or dts neo to create virtual surround. I tested himedia hd600b player with aac and wma 5.1 files and the avr was using virtual surround. So I checked the audio info in avr and found the audio appears to the avr as 2 channel. But if the player can send it as 5.1 LPCM, then we get real surround.

Re: Please suggest a GPU with hdmi output for audio connection to connect with Yamaha

When aac is send as RAW, the avr will see it as two channel only. So it will use dolby prologic or dts neo to create virtual surround. I tested himedia hd600b player with aac and wma 5.1 files and the avr was using virtual surround. So I checked the audio info in avr and found the audio appears to the avr as 2 channel. But if the player can send it as 5.1 LPCM, then we get real surround.

Thats my point.I get surround is I play from VLC.with MPCHC its 2ch only.

Thats what I am saying, I have not used MPCHC for a long time, but XBMC sends AAC 5.1 as LPCM to avr, I will test mt MPCHC as well and see. But for XBMC I am 100% sure it sends AAC 5.1 to avr

I am using potplayer & yet to try its full abilities.LAV can bitstream,but may not send decoded 5.1 PCM.Correct me if I am wrong.

If AAC in MP4 container qualifies then it does

Last edited:

Thanks for input.This is very important as there can be more future audio codecs & current AVR should go easily with them.Thats why where HTPC shines.Change the SW & your system upgrades.

Thanks for input.This is very important as there can be more future audio codecs & current AVR should go easily with them.Thats why where HTPC shines.Change the SW & your system upgrades.

Now I have a question for you :). How does the potplayer bitstream 2 channel PCM?

I have tried to get it to send stereo MP3 ( in AVI) directly to the AVR so that I can decode it using Dolby Pro II or Neo 6 but my AVR gets it only as 5.1 PCM or 2 channel PCM (depending upon how I set the the output speakers) which the AVR allows me to convert as multicannel PCM or mono or direct or theater but neither dolby nor Neo 6 is comes up as a option on AVRs display. Is that possible and how?

In potplayer,if you select ffdshow as fiter,select output as stereo in ffdshow & bitstream it,you will get 2ch as PCM.If you use MPCHC with ffdshow same happens by default.
So you do get 2ch from 5.1PCM audio.
But why do you need to downconvert 5.1 to 2ch?

In potplayer,if you select ffdshow as fiter,select output as stereo in ffdshow & bitstream it,you will get 2ch as PCM.If you use MPCHC with ffdshow same happens by default.
So you do get 2ch from 5.1PCM audio.
But why do you need to downconvert 5.1 to 2ch?

Don't want to downconvert to 2 ch. What I want to try is to take MP3 original with 2 ch and feed it to AVR (onkyo 3400 in my case ) and then use the decoding of the AVR to convert it to dolby pro II (5.1) - I am curious if that would sound better or upconversion by the computer (using lav codec to upconvert 2.0 MP3 to 5.1 pcm) is better.

OK,AVR will sound better as its a Hardware.I have done this with my Onkyo AVR & prologic 2 will be good for movies & neo for music.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back