Please suggest a GPU with hdmi output for audio connection to connect with Yamaha 667

Re: Please suggest a GPU with hdmi output for audio connection to connect with Yamaha

@ spirovious: thanks bro. That anandtech article was very helpful. What exactly is a low profile 6570?

Low profile means you can fit it in small cabinet.I have 5570 which is earlier version of new 6570.It has new ATI video GPU with Divx codecs which mine doesnt have.

@sam:I am a bit confused... In case I go for a GPU like the 430 would I still need a soundcard like the Xonar? I thought the GPU would handle both the video and the audio transfer to the AVR...

@ reignofchaos: Yeah I too have shortlisted the GT 430 and the ATI 6570. I was wondering by what you meant by passive 6570. Also what is the differance between the GT 430 and GT 440.

@ spirovious: thanks bro. That anandtech article was very helpful. What exactly is a low profile 6570?

I feel like a novice all over again :) There is much to learn when it comes to cards. Thanks for the help guys. Owe you one!

Passive means no dedicated fan is present for cooling which reduces the noise of the graphic card.

If you are passing the audio and the dac its taking care odd the decoding then I don't understand why you need a sound card

Sent from my MB525 using Tapatalk

Re: Please suggest a GPU with hdmi output for audio connection to connect with Yamaha

@sam:I am a bit confused... In case I go for a GPU like the 430 would I still need a soundcard like the Xonar? I thought the GPU would handle both the video and the audio transfer to the AVR...

Yes GPU would also handle music obviously via HDMI to AVR, but its believed, if you are too picky that sound card handles stereo signals better than the a GPU. Personally I cannt comment on that, as even I use my 440 via HDMI to listed to music from my Polks connected to my AVR, and they sound perfectly good. The suggestion was if you are too specific for 2 channel stereo you might want to opt for Xonar.

Also the difference between 430 and 440 is related to gaming performance only. A/V bit streaming is same in both, so you can opt 430 as well.
Another opinion from my personal experience is that nVidia cards perform better in terms of A/V than ATI, which is a preferred brand for pure gaming. So I'd suggest to go for GT440/430 rather then HD 6xxx series if A/V is all you wanna stream ......

Last edited:

ATI perform better in casual gaming too.They have more stream processors if compared budget cards.

Folks I contacted my computer vendor and he has only the GT 430 and GT 450 available. I presume both of these would be with an HDMI out and would take care of my requirement.

I have been quoted Rs 3,500 for the 430. Any last minute advise before I go over to the shop in the morning? I am expecting my AVR to arrive at my place in the afternoon so wanna be ready for it :)

If you are mostly playing video content wich is "P" ( 1080p , 720p etc) go for a cheep ATI5450 based fan less card. It costs just 2K only. it has built in bitstreaming support for the HD audio . Only flip side is that its difficult to configure it on Linux , XBMC live wont support it by default but every thing runs smoothly on Windows 7. For linux go for a nvidia based card like 520 .

Make sure that the card you buy has bit streaming support many cards with HDMI out don't have that .

Folks I contacted my computer vendor and he has only the GT 430 and GT 450 available. I presume both of these would be with an HDMI out and would take care of my requirement.

I have been quoted Rs 3,500 for the 430. Any last minute advise before I go over to the shop in the morning? I am expecting my AVR to arrive at my place in the afternoon so wanna be ready for it :)

Go with either...... eyes closed, wont be disappointed......:)
Both have bitstreaming and both can play HD A/V perfectly .....
I'd prefer 430/440. reason 430/440 had regular HDMI port and 450 has mini HDMI, meaning a different cable.
Also make sure you have the latest nvidia drivers before you start bitstreaming .... 285.6 are the latest as of now.

Last edited:

I would like to bring in notice that ... none of the Radeon cards are capable of 1080p 3D Blu-ray playback or stereoscopic gaming (although the latter may be possible with 3rd party software and certain monitors), so that might not be as future proof, plus nvidia drives are bit more stable than ATI when it comes to A/V playback. PLus nVidia has CUDA and physx though later is only needed in gaming.

Its not a native support (OOTB) thats what I meant ........ stability still remains a factor ..... that is why I opted for nVidia for HTPC despite of having 2 HD5850 CF in my Gaming rig .....

Which free software other than vlc(which does)can output 5.1PCM over HDMI to 667?
PDVD10 may not read the file encoded in different formats.

Say I have few HD-ripps with 5.1aac.VLC decoded it & send to 667 as 5.1 PCM,which 667 process as 5.1 out.If I use MPCHC,I cant get 5.1,but 2ch PCM when used with ffdshow.
Remember I am talking about 5.1 audio other than regular DD/Dts(even HD).

MPCHC does bitstream 5.1 using ffdshow .... TMT5 also bitstreams HD audio 5.1. XBMC also bitstreams 5.1, but only DD and DTS (no HD audio) ....

Not sure if this is the info you are looking for ...

MPCHC does bitstream 5.1 using ffdshow .... TMT5 also bitstreams HD audio 5.1. XBMC also bitstreams 5.1, but only DD and DTS (no HD audio) ....

Not sure if this is the info you are looking for ...

Yes,I could get all regular/HD format bitstream successfully.ffdshow couldnt do DTS-HD master that well,but LAV filters could.
Now there are many HD movies with 5.1 audio encoded in different codecs other than DD/Dts.Like aac,mpeg etc.
VLC does the job,but PQ on MPCHC is better than vlc.Is there any filter which can decode more codecs & send as 5.1/7.1 PCM via HDMI?

Yes,I could get all regular/HD format bitstream successfully.ffdshow couldnt do DTS-HD master that well,but LAV filters could.
Now there are many HD movies with 5.1 audio encoded in different codecs other than DD/Dts.Like aac,mpeg etc.
VLC does the job,but PQ on MPCHC is better than vlc.Is there any filter which can decode more codecs & send as 5.1/7.1 PCM via HDMI?

One suggestion that I can give is to have a look at potplayer. With LAV filter and madVR it seems to give the best results - at least I find the results pretty good. Have a look at

http://imouto.my/configuring-potplayer-for-gpu-accelerated-video-playback-with-dxva-or-cuda-and-also-high-performance-software-decoding/

Which free software other than vlc(which does)can output 5.1PCM over HDMI to 667?
PDVD10 may not read the file encoded in different formats.

Say I have few HD-ripps with 5.1aac.VLC decoded it & send to 667 as 5.1 PCM,which 667 process as 5.1 out.If I use MPCHC,I cant get 5.1,but 2ch PCM when used with ffdshow.
Remember I am talking about 5.1 audio other than regular DD/Dts(even HD).
Provide link to samples.

One suggestion that I can give is to have a look at potplayer. With LAV filter and madVR it seems to give the best results - at least I find the results pretty good. Have a look at

Configuring PotPlayer for GPU-accelerated video playback with DirectX Video Acceleration (DXVA), Compute Unified Device Architecture (CUDA) or high-performance software decoding

I am using potplayer & yet to try its full abilities.LAV can bitstream,but may not send decoded 5.1 PCM.Correct me if I am wrong.

I can PM you,pls.check.aac cannot be decoded by AVR & need to feed 5.1 PCM(multich).

I still am not sure what the confusion is, but for me both MPCHC and XBMC can sent multich AAC 5.1 to avr.

Last edited:
Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back