Please suggest a suitable 5.1 speaker system for Yamaha RX-V477 AVR

menonrajesh

Hello All,
I am looking for a suitable 5.1 speaker system for my Yamaha RX-V477.
Its an apartment and my living room is 12 X 12 - but without any wall on one side and effectively living room is extending to the separate dining area. I guess my usage of system would be 70% for movie and 30% for music.

Budget I have is around 35k INR. I am not sure if bookshelf speakers will fit in my budget or will it be an overkill for my room space. Due to the space constraints I have ruled out the tower speakers.

I have been going through the wealth of information around and have short-listed a few that I guess fits the bill in terms of budget as well as my requirements.

1. Boston Acoustics A2310HTS
(Boston Acoustics A 2310HTS Home Theater Speaker Package (Black Finish)) around 36K INR

This has received better reviews. Also I saw good reviews on BA as well as Polk as they have 2 way drivers (separate tweeter and mid-range) instead of full-range/single driver.

2. BA Soundware S 5.1 HTS
(Boston Acoustics SoundWare S 5.1 Home Theater Speaker System) around 33K INR

3. Wharfedale Moviestar MS-100 HCP 5.1
(Wharfedale Moviestar MS-100 HCP 5.1 Home Theatre Cinema Package) around 34k INR

4. Polkaudio RM 6750
(Polk Audio RM6750 5.1 Home Theater Speaker System - Black Speaker Price in India & Specifications) approx 31k INR

A few comments I noticed for this model is related to its Subwoofer. General opinion is that the subwoofer of 6750 lacks punch and many people replace it, if possible, with a better one from Polk.

I am in Bangalore and I am yet to audition any of these systems. I would be grateful if anyone can provide me with the below inputs

1. Advise if the above short-listed ones are feasible in terms of pairing with Yamaha RX-V477 and adequate for my usage indicated earlier.
2. Any other options I can explore within the budget of 35k INR that goes well with AVR
3. Any pointers on where I can audition these?

I got in touch with Reference Point, Indiranagar for BA - They don't have BA 2310 but have a model thats a predecessor of 2310. They dont keep Polk or WharfeDale. I know that Pro-FX keeps Polk - thats one place I intend to go. Also spoke with Uniquesys, Marathalli. They dont have any of my shortlisted ones but have Paradigm.

I am looking to finalise very soon, It would be great to hear your thoughts!!

Thanks much in advance.

Rajesh Menon

Yamaha 477 is a good amp . With a reputation of bigger than price soundtsage. An average 15 x 10 mts space will be covered by a wharfedale moviestar , given that you use PROPER placement.

This is missed by most ... and yet it's of most importance.

Make sure that the fronts are not more than 30 degrees angle from the couch.
5.1 at 30 degrees behind the couch and subwoofer acutely placed. (Actually i would advise to get a bigger/punchier sub from OLX . Something like a Yamaha DSW series will blow your mind, but its difficult to find coz not many ppl sell this model... its economical and real good).

Hey but you gotta spend on wires too , so keep that in mind.

You have a 477 , if i were you , i would not waste this awesome power of an amp on Moviestar, rather i would just buy some actual 5.1 in parts like MA BX fronts / Wharfedale diamond fronts , next buy centre and after that buy any decent surrounds (even old speakers from your computers will do this job for now.

IMO take a few months to build a 5.1, but build a system that you will enjoy for years to come...

Hope i helped..

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back