please suggest good speaker cables - preferably studio cables

rohitmusic

Hello friends,
I need some good speaker cables. For IC I plan to make using Gotham. On similar lines any speaker cable recommendations? Looking for transparent and neutral/flat signature.

Thanks!

You mention studio cables in the heading. In principle, I think it is a great idea to play back music along the same sort of cables as it was recorded along. The problem is that studios are into balanced connections and, mostly, unless we are using active speakers too, in the home we are not.

Looking for transparent and neutral/flat signature.

So, among the many offers out there, who do we believe. If you have read any of my ramblings and rantings, you know my recommendation already :lol:.

Check their site, read their articles, and if their attitude towards wire turns out to match yours, you might want to buy from Blue Jeans too.

Honest: I do not have shares, get a commission, or have any interest in the company at all. Mores the pity! I just like what they have to say on the subject, and I did buy some cables from them.

International orders on the .co.uk site, but it still gets shipped from USA. The courier charges were about the least I've ever paid on ordering abroad.

Speaker cables.... I luuuurv the idea of ultrasonic welded connectors. We all have our weaknesses!

As the usual disclaimers say, there are other non-bullshit cable companies. And the value of your cables may fall as well as rise...

Last edited:
Dear Thad! Nice hearing from you :)
Yes dear, the idea is to use decent quality speaker cables which could be had at a decent price. It is an attempt to "neutralize" most components of the system so the finer tweaks that I am trying shine out the most and truthfully.
I also need cables for my dad's system and think some good known studio cable will do just fine..

Thanks and kind regards!

Come to my place..i will give you demo of cat5, cable of 25k INR and cable of 20 rs a meter...but anyhow i am using chord carnival silver screen...

Belden 10 AWG 5T00UP, Belden 12 AWG 5000UE, or 13 AWG Mogami 3103. I'm not aware of retailers locally so import may be the only way to get them. Kiran Sales in Mumbai do stock 16 AWG Belden speaker cables. But they are tinned multistranded copper, not pure copper. Disclaimer: I have not tried this 16 AWG Belden (nor the 5T00UP or 5000UE). Some say tinned copper tends to have harshness, while others swear by it. I don't know what's the truth.

BTW, as Thad said, most studios use active monitors/speakers so they simply use balanced line level cables from consoles to the monitors (with XLR or 1/4" EP jacks), so they totally avoid speaker cables.

If you want true dynamic flat frequency of sound you can go for NORDOST BH speaker cable which I am currently using which is biwirable cable by shotgun method it has been made single. So the cable is 1.5 inch flat broad brings out every frequency of the source with 0% alteration. It is 3 metre per side I think cost me 25k. It is gold plated spades.

Come to my place..i will give you demo of cat5, cable of 25k INR and cable of 20 rs a meter...but anyhow i am using chord carnival silver screen...

Thanks dear, my visit to your place is due anyhow :) Would like to catch up with you some time and share notes on music and good life in general! Cheers! Leme know when I can drop by at your convenience, would love to meet you :)

Last edited:
Belden 10 AWG 5T00UP, Belden 12 AWG 5000UE, or 13 AWG Mogami 3103. I'm not aware of retailers locally so import may be the only way to get them. Kiran Sales in Mumbai do stock 16 AWG Belden speaker cables. But they are tinned multistranded copper, not pure copper. Disclaimer: I have not tried this 16 AWG Belden (nor the 5T00UP or 5000UE). Some say tinned copper tends to have harshness, while others swear by it. I don't know what's the truth.

BTW, as Thad said, most studios use active monitors/speakers so they simply use balanced line level cables from consoles to the monitors (with XLR or 1/4" EP jacks), so they totally avoid speaker cables.

Thanks buddy! Nice hearing it directly from the horses mouth! :)
I have been considering the mogami 3103 but dont know how to source it. Thanks for the suggestion on Beldens. Yes the tinned did sound a little harsh on upper frequencies in one of my experiences. Once a friend was using some cable and I happened to ask him if it was silver coated or tinned and tinned it was! :)

Last edited:
If you want true dynamic flat frequency of sound you can go for NORDOST BH speaker cable which I am currently using which is biwirable cable by shotgun method it has been made single. So the cable is 1.5 inch flat broad brings out every frequency of the source with 0% alteration. It is 3 metre per side I think cost me 25k. It is gold plated spades.

Thanks Clearcut, I will read up about this cable. But since I need a good length of this cable this will not scale out well for me. I need cables for my dad's and brother's setups and some spare. Hence the idea to go the DIY route.. :)

Many a Thanks and Cheers!

BJ have several varieties, and optional terminations, but if I haven't made a big mistake (easily possible: I'm innumerate) I think 4K will get you all your frequencies. EDIT: I just noticed that this is the Belden 10 AWG 5T00UP cable mentioned by jls001. Unterminated, and with in-my-head, rounded FX rates, it's abut Rs220/metre (a bit more: the pound has dropped from the easily-converted 100 rate :( ) Available in India? How much? EDIT AGAIN: plus taxes and courier**.

I don't know how much mains cable would cost. Seriously, well spoken of even by audiophiles with expensive equipment. I believe that the in-India choice is Finolex pump cable.

**They have changed all their carriage stuff. One can now order international from the US .com site, with a choice of delivery methods.
I just costed out a pair of 3m 5T00UP bare-->spade, delivered by FedEx to India, and including our taxes, at about US$75. That's still only a bit over 4.4K for what, even by audiophile expections, should be damn good cables ---eh?

Maybe when I build my listening room....

~

Last edited:
Thanks dear, my visit to your place is due anyhow :) Would like to catch up with you some time and share notes on music and good life in general! Cheers! Leme know when I can drop by at your convenience, would love to meet you :)
You can drop in anytime after 20th of Nov...i am not in Pune till that time..so missing my musical bliss..Om and sandeep have already been to my place..

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back