Please suggest

Barun7

Hi everyone, this is my first post in three and a half years. Last time, I had posted about some requirements about a budget home theater and received a few replies. But unfortunately, some personal tragedies took place and I was not in a position to build a home theater as I had planned. However, life has moved on and so has my age which is nearing mid 30s.
This time around, my requirements have changed a bit. I want to build a home entertainment within 85K-90K including a 4K smart TV with at least 43 inch screen. So, that leaves me with approx 40K to get a HT package(I want an av receiver within that budget). I know, it is not a very generous budget - but that is what I can afford at most. I was thinking of buying a projector but have backed out due to budget constraints. My requirements have been noted below and I hope to get some wise responses like last time. Before I go into giving out my requirements, I'd like to mention that I am a not an audiophile. I'm a regular Indian office goer who wants to unwind at the end of day and have some action movie sessions on weekends. I am not a party lover and would not a fan of loud sounds. I do not see myself upgrading
on my setup for years to come. The sound I require is crisp and detailed so that movies like 'Dark Knight' and 'Inception' can be enjoyed.

Considering the kind of knowledge forum members have, I am a novice although I have done my research as far as I can.

I have one doubt in my mind - should someone with my kind of requirements go for a 7.1 receiver or 5.1 should be as good? I mean will a 5.1 be enough for surround sound effect?

Room size - 250 square feet

Requirements(for speaker-woofer and a/v receiver).
Budget - 40-42K(max - the lower, the better)
5.1 setup with AV receiver
4K pass through 60 fps(want to be future proof to some extent)
DTS, Dolby atmos, Wi-fi and bluetooth compatibility
Hi-res audio
60% movies, 30% music, 10% sports and games
Low and mid range should be good(for vocals)

I have shortlisted a few according to my budget and am not sure if they are the right ones. Suggestions needed on that front also. Other options are also welcome.
Polk Audio TL1600
Yamaha YHT-3072
ONKYO HTS-3800
Taga Harmony TAV-506 + Taga TSW 120
Boston Acoustics Soundware xs 5.1 / Denon sys 5.1

Although it's out of my budget, I really wanted to have a go at Wharfedale DX-2. But then if it is better than the ones listed above, I can wait for a while.

Last edited:
I''m also planning to do some auditions. But, for that as well, some shortlisting needs to be done as no dealer stocks all the brands and will nor allow anyone to experience endlessly. For audition, I will be carrying the following :-

Music :
Brass Monkey by Beastie Boys
train Song by Holly Cole
Rosanna by Toto
Afterhours by TroyBoi
Howshwalo Ko Khabar from Sarfarosh
Kehna Hi Kya from Roja

Surround Sound :
The Echo Game Scene from House Of Flying Daggers
Saving Private Ryan(Omaha Beach Landing)
Matrix Lobby scene
Mad Max Fury Road
The Dark Knight(for vocals)

I''m also planning to do some auditions. But, for that as well, some shortlisting needs to be done as no dealer stocks all the brands and will nor allow anyone to experience endlessly. For audition, I will be carrying the following :-

Music :
Brass Monkey by Beastie Boys
train Song by Holly Cole
Rosanna by Toto
Afterhours by TroyBoi
Howshwalo Ko Khabar from Sarfarosh
Kehna Hi Kya from Roja

Surround Sound :
The Echo Game Scene from House Of Flying Daggers
Saving Private Ryan(Omaha Beach Landing)
Matrix Lobby scene
Mad Max Fury Road
The Dark Knight(for vocals)
Really Nice list ✌️
I would add LOTR first war scene for the bass test
I hope you have these in good format. Flac or mp3(320kbps)

So, that leaves me with approx 40K to get a HT package(I want an av receiver within that budget). I know, it is not a very generous budget - but that is what I can afford at most.

Room size - 250 square feet. I have one doubt in my mind - should someone with my kind of requirements go for a 7.1 receiver or 5.1 should be as good? I mean will a 5.1 be enough for surround sound effect?

If you want to grab a 7.2 AVR, you wont be able to complete the entire set-up.. For your room size, you should look for 5.2.4 (or) 7.2.4 set-up, over time..

IMO, you should settle for a 5.1 receiver now and finish your 5.2 set-up.. When you have size-able budget (future), you may upgrade to 7.2.4 capable AVR..

Other options are also welcome. Taga Harmony TAV-506 + Taga TSW 120

Taga 506 + Taga TSW 200 (12 inch subwoofer), would be a better one from the options you have listed..

Although it's out of my budget, I really wanted to have a go at Wharfedale DX-2. But then if it is better than the ones listed above, I can wait for a while.

I guess the 5.1 Package is roughly 50K?.. In the Wharfedale DX-2 speaker package, the satellite speakers have 84 dB efficient, which is low and would need lot of power from an AVR.. The packaged subwoofer is 8 inch and 70Watts capable..

For the same money as Wharfedale DX-2, here are some (better) options..

• Taga 506 + Taga TSW 200 (12 inch subwoofer) = 50K
  • Taga 506 5.0 speaker package + Dual Taga TSW 120 subwoofers, <=60K.. Dual subs will give you get bass feel in the room..
  • Taga Harmony Platinum S90 SL / Platinum one x 2 pairs (24K) + Platinum C90 SL (13K) + Taga TSW 200 (27K) = Slightly above 60K..

Thanks for the detailed suggestion. I need to find a dealer who can give a demo of Taga. One of the major dealers in Kolkata stocks Taga but demo is not available.

Update - In the last few days, I've was able to go to two of the dealers in Kolkata. Both of the has decent audition rooms. I auditioned a few but almost all of them were above my budget. Really liked the Sonodyne Genie 2 which has five identical speakers and an active sub. Offered good clarity. Offered price 35-40K. The offer price for Polk Audio TL1600 is 32K. Does anyone have any idea if these are good for at least 7-8 years?
Although I did not consider it as an option due to the price tag, I got an opportunity to audition the Dali Spector series(both 1 and 2) and was blown away - literally! The center(Spector Vokal) was simply the best I have heard till now(might be I haven't heard too much but it was very impressive). The overall package contained decent punch and I was offered a 5.0 setup at around 55K. Add another 30-32K for Denon 550 BT(I've almost cancelled 250BT due to the lack of USB input). But then, the sub would be missing from the entire set up of approx 80K. Although there is always an option to add an active sub later on, the lows would be missing from the likes of Transformers/Mad Max Fury Road till the time I save up for a good sub. But, the setup is brilliant for music and movies if one doesn't want those thunderous rumblings! Also, going by the superb build quality, I don't think those will need upgradation till 7-8 years at least.
And seems no place in Kolkata stocks Taga Harmony/Wharfedales(entry level ones) - let alone audition! Any members from Kolkata here in the knowing a dealer who stocks Taga Harmony/Wharfedale?

Nobody from Kolkata?
@dr_rocket , @Aanuj , @tirthankar .. need your assistance in finding a Taga/Wharfadale dealer in Kolkata.
Also, looking for an advice from all - will the experience be vastly difference in the case of action movies if I go with a Dali 5.0 setup(I know I need to stretch my budget by a fair margin)? I can add a sub later but not very soon.

If Polk go with the new S series. Wharfedale DX2 is a good option. Dali spektor is a very good buy. Mission LX2 based package is great too. I would give Taga a miss. Check with Harmonie Audio, ProFx, Watteffects, Auditro & Solfege. Stay away from SKS pretty shady a dealer. Buy the sub later. Get proper fronts and a center for now. Later you can add the sub. If you are tight on budget and won't listen to music in 5.1 eg an SACD or DVDA then don't spend too much on surrounds for now. Concentrate more on the fronts L+ R and center.

Last edited:
Nobody from Kolkata?
@dr_rocket , @Aanuj , @tirthankar .. need your assistance in finding a Taga/Wharfadale dealer in Kolkata.
Also, looking for an advice from all - will the experience be vastly difference in the case of action movies if I go with a Dali 5.0 setup(I know I need to stretch my budget by a fair margin)? I can add a sub later but not very soon.
Thanks for mentioning me in your post. I started on same boat as you 2.5 yrs back. Had thought about TL 1600, Tannoy HTS 101, wharfedale Dx2, taga TAV 506, etc. Got demo of TL 1600 at Profx and tannoy at digital acoustics. Wattefects said they can procure DX2 if required but he got me demo of Elac cinema 10 and recommended it. Auditro hifi said they can procure Taga, but no demo. But finally, after demoing many others, settled for 5.0 system with polk signature series and OWM3. Later added XTZ 8.17 sub. Without sub also system is quite enjoyable, even action movies.
If you don't have that kind of budget at the beginning, you could look at AVR+pair of bookshelves+/- sub to start with and add the rest later. In this way, you can upgrade without having to sell components frequently.

Since Taga is so heavily discounted product online, why would any dealer stock it? As a buyer, I also realised this the hard way as now when I want to sell my Taga LCR, but am not getting a decent price due to this issue. I would not recommend anyone to go for Taga precisely for this reason. To a large extent same is issue with Wharfedale, though now their price is not as attractive as it was 3-4 years back. If you want to buy something for long term use and satisfaction, please increase your budget and buy from wide variety available, starting with LCR first, then sub and last surrounds. That will give you best results in staggered manner if you cannot buy all together due to funding issue. My sincere and humble advise to you. Best of luck!

I got an opportunity to audition the Dali Spector series(both 1 and 2) and was blown away - literally! The center(Spector Vokal) was simply the best I have heard till now(might be I haven't heard too much but it was very impressive). The overall package contained decent punch and I was offered a 5.0 setup at around 55K.

From the specs of Dali spector 1, it is 83dB efficient, low for a speaker.. The spector 2 is 84.5 dB efficient, which is slightly higher than spector 1, but lower to comparable models 5.0 models in that price range.. You said, you room is abt 250Sqft.. You may need to consider this factor..
This means you will need more amplification power..

Subwoofer is a foundation for movie experience..A FS can be a intermittent substitute in the absence of subwoofer.. But with BS all around without a subwoofer, it may not be great experience.. But if that is only for a while, then fine..

If you want to buy something for long term use and satisfaction, please increase your budget and buy from wide variety available, starting with LCR first, then sub and last surrounds. That will give you best results in staggered manner if you cannot buy all together due to funding issue. My sincere and humble advise to you.

The OP has a decent budget of 40K (or) slightly more flexible budget.. Why does the user have to increase his budget when he can complete a 5.1 (or) 5.1 in his budget of 60K?.. There are combinations that one can do in his budget (or) within his budge..

Please avoid misleading posts in the name of satisfaction.. What is satisfaction?..

The OP has a decent budget of 40K (or) slightly more flexible budget.. Why does the user have to increase his budget when he can complete a 5.1 (or) 5.1 in his budget of 60K?.. There are combinations that one can do in his budget (or) within his budge..

Please avoid misleading posts in the name of satisfaction.. What is satisfaction?..
I am sorry but what is misleading? Satisfaction again means a lot of things & that too differently to all of us. I don't see why you are agitated, upset by my humble post. Anyways, I don't want to hurt your feelings so saying sorry to you, since clearly you got upset, not my intentions to hurt you or anyone else.
Peace

I am sorry but what is misleading?

You had said this
If you want to buy something for long term use and satisfaction, please increase your budget and buy from wide variety available, starting with LCR first, then sub and last surrounds.

Satisfaction again means a lot of things & that too differently to all of us.

Exactly.. So we don't know what is satisfying to the user.. But asking him to increase his budget for long term use & satisfaction and choose from variety of brands isn't a good idea, especially in the initial few posts, OP clearly stated that he doesn't have a big budget, but a modest one..

I don't see why you are agitated, upset by my humble post. Anyways, I don't want to hurt your feelings so saying sorry to you, since clearly you got upset, not my intentions to hurt you or anyone else.Peace.

Nope.. Am neither agitated nor hurt by your post.. Just that there isn't a need for OP to increase his budget :)..

After covering almost the entire city, I've come to the conclusion that I need to increase my budget by at least 40% in order to get a set up
which is expected to be there for the next few years. Although I liked the Dali Spector, the total setup would be way above my budget(thought of Sonodyne Sub 1008+Spector 2+Vokal - 3.1 setup is approx 60K alone). I really appreciate the suggestion to build a 3.1 first and then adding up the rear surrounds but then again, the 'feel' of a real 5.1 setup would be missing still.
No Taga dealers in Kolkata - so counting them out. Dealers also expressed about the after sales service.
Auditioned the Polk T50. Sound was good and big but did not appear refined to me. But was better than the TL1600 which I striked off within 4
minutes of audition. No offense to anyone - it is purely my opinion.
One dealer suggested the Focal Sib & Cub 3+Denon 550 BT combination but demo was not available there. They double up as the service partners for most of the brands here including Focal and Denon. I'm not sure about the Focal - but have seen some positive reviews on the internet. The
total set up(5.1) will cost anything between 50-55K. Receiver price is additional.
And one of my initial choices Wharefedale DX-2 still remains in the hunt despite the fact nobody stocks the model. The same dealer can get it
for me(as discussed). Price almost similar to Focal.
One more option in that budget is Jamo A101/HCS5. Not sure how they stand against the Focal and Wharfedale.
As I am not able to get the Obsidian 600, can Jamo S426/S526 be a good alternative?

So, the final options are :-

5.1 Setup
1. Focal Sib & Cub 3
2. Wharefedale DX-2
3. Jamo A101/HCS5

5.0 Setup
1. Jamo S426/S526
2. Polk T50

I know, I've been asking too many questions but this is the only forum where I can found expert advise - unlike the dealers. Forum members have been immensely helpful in increasing my knowledge and choices. From my end, apart from doing my bit online, I've been visiting stores across the city. Acuupedo informed me that I had walked 8km+ yesterday - the most in a few years!
Helping me in other ways nevertheless!
Will be finalizing in a day or two. Have decided to increase the budget - deferred the purchase of TV. Thanking in advance!

Last edited:
Im no expert bro. But recently auditioned a lot of speakers and bought Yamaha package. Here's my spec

AVR: Denon X550 [Got it from Germany 22K]
Front: Yamaha NS8390 Tower [19K]
Sub: Yamaha SW300 [Not yet delivered to me] [29K]
Center/Rear: P51 [10K]

@elangoas once suggested set up 5.0 and add a sub later. This is such a precious advice. Yamaha 8390 towers have inbuilt sub cone which is soo much better. At times really felt like, I have an active dedicated sub woofer. Since you decided to increase budget, this will be good ....

Yamaha 8390, P51 and Denon X550 - 58K [Denon is costlier in India], add one or 2 subs later.

Replacing the 8390 with F71 will cost 8K extra, but the sound quality and bass is extra ordinary, I auditioned. You can try that too.

So, the final options are :-

5.1 Setup
1. Focal Sib & Cub 3
2. Wharefedale DX-2
3. Jamo A101/HCS5

5.0 Setup
1. Jamo S426/S526
2. Polk T50

A 5.0 set-up is better than most 5.1 package any day, as you get the flexibility of adding subwoofer of your choice / budget.. Most 5.1 set-up have 8inch subwoofer (or) not a powerful one..

Im no expert bro. But recently auditioned a lot of speakers and bought Yamaha package. Here's my spec

AVR: Denon X550 [Got it from Germany 22K]
Front: Yamaha NS8390 Tower [19K]
Sub: Yamaha SW300 [Not yet delivered to me] [29K]
Center/Rear: P51 [10K]

@elangoas once suggested set up 5.0 and add a sub later. This is such a precious advice. Yamaha 8390 towers have inbuilt sub cone which is soo much better. At times really felt like, I have an active dedicated sub woofer. Since you decided to increase budget, this will be good ....

Yamaha 8390, P51 and Denon X550 - 58K [Denon is costlier in India], add one or 2 subs later.

Replacing the 8390 with F71 will cost 8K extra, but the sound quality and bass is extra ordinary, I auditioned. You can try that too.
Hi Manoj, I am new to the forum. Looking for Yamaha setup. Yamaha RX-V485/585+NS-333+NS-P51 and SW200 fits in my budget. Didn't find many threads on Yamaha speakers. How about NS-P51 how the center sound. Any idea how this will pair up with NS-333. I am looking for compact setup with good output. Though my room(L Shaped) is big but TV watching area is upper side of L which is pretty small and listening distance is around 6-7 feet. And does the higher impedance of Center 92 db and Surrounds 89 db matter compare to NS-333. Your inputs are appreciated.

Hi Manoj, I am new to the forum. Looking for Yamaha setup. Yamaha RX-V485/585+NS-333+NS-P51 and SW200 fits in my budget. Didn't find many threads on Yamaha speakers. How about NS-P51 how the center sound. Any idea how this will pair up with NS-333. I am looking for compact setup with good output. Though my room(L Shaped) is big but TV watching area is upper side of L which is pretty small and listening distance is around 6-7 feet. And does the higher impedance of Center 92 db and Surrounds 89 db matter compare to NS-333. Your inputs are appreciated.
P51 is really great deal bro, but honestly I didnt audition much center speakers, so cannot judge. I did audition P51. Clean sound, at times I felt center speaker is a bit blaring. May be I dont set up the speaker correctly! Most of the time it is really good. SW200 was my one of my first options, but I felt something, what if this sub dont fit my room [11*18]. SO went for the bigger one! With such short distance 6-7 feet I dont think sensitivity plays crucial role, neither did impedance. Also I audition NS100 in a tiny room, propably equal to your room size. That was so damn great. Hence your choice of SW200 must be good or better. So go for the complete package of P51 with SW200. I dont know about NS333 but NS8390 is a complete full range speakers with a pumpy bass, if you can audtion this, you might have a second/better choice.

P51 is really great deal bro, but honestly I didnt audition much center speakers, so cannot judge. I did audition P51. Clean sound, at times I felt center speaker is a bit blaring. May be I dont set up the speaker correctly! Most of the time it is really good. SW200 was my one of my first options, but I felt something, what if this sub dont fit my room [11*18]. SO went for the bigger one! With such short distance 6-7 feet I dont think sensitivity plays crucial role, neither did impedance. Also I audition NS100 in a tiny room, propably equal to your room size. That was so damn great. Hence your choice of SW200 must be good or better. So go for the complete package of P51 with SW200. I dont know about NS333 but NS8390 is a complete full range speakers with a pumpy bass, if you can audtion this, you might have a second/better choice.
Thanks a lot Manoj. These inputs are really helpful.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back