Please welcome the newest member to my analog family...Hello Koetsu Black!

Hi Shaizada,
just want to know when you put all these new cartridges how do you play around with the VTA. I mean to say do you simply trust your ear or do something else. Actually I haven't really touched it yet in my rig and can't really locate any guide how to use it. Any pointers?
Thanks.

Aaaahhh yes :) That is an EXCELLENT question. As a base line, one of the best ways is to start of having the cartridge absolutely parallel to the vinyl surface. If that is difficult to gauge with the cartridge due to the shape, try and get the actual tonearm perfectly parallel to the vinyl surface. That is just the start.

Obviously, at this parallel tonearm setting, you must also make sure the VTF is spot on for your cartridge. Remember, VPI recommends going about 0.1g over the recommended setting. Many cartridges have a weight range. I've noticed with the JMW tonearms (at least with my 12" version), you want to track on the heavier side of the VTA range.

From there, there are a few things you can do to set the VTA. First, check with other online forums to see other users and their experiences. What do they recommend for the VTA settings in their own setup. For example, my Koetsu Black tends to like the VTA perfectly parallel to the tonearm or EVEN a degree or two down on the back. This is being gauged by the eye.

After you have that set for the most part, the next comes the listening. I like to play some acoustic material I am extremely familiar with and try to get the sound of an instrument right. It is best to play material that has very sparse and accurately recorded instruments. I love using a recording of a stand up bass that is an intro to a song. You want the right amount of attack, body, resonance and reverberations. Your ear will know when you get this right. To high a VTA and you lose the body and lower end tightness. To low a VTA and it gets boomy and you lose high end information. So really, as your ear gets better, so does your setup skills. You will get better with time.

shaizada - you certainly need more arms on your TT :)
You can name your modified turntable Chaturbhuj.

Hey buddy! Only have two armwands right now, but if funds permit, down the road, I plan to pick up a few more so I can have multiple cartridges setup at my fingertips. One can only dream....so that is what I am doing right now.

VPI Chaturbhuj. I think we have a winner for the next turntable name at VPI! hehe

Hi Shaizada,
thanks for the reply. This VTA dial is still bit confusing to me.When you talk about the angle is it the angle made by the tonearm with the record surface in that case 1 or 2 degrees with eye is very difficult to measure. In plain words if you turn the dial clockwise does it increase the angle and increase the bass? Or it is other way around. I got myself hifinews test LP and tried to measure the cartridge performence if it is optimum or not but at places it is bit confusing.Since now I have some sort of monoblock arrangements I will do a proper test for azimuth. To be honest with you I have tried with several maginifiers to see if the stylus tip is perpendicualr or not but didn't succed. So I guess this test LP is my last resort. Not that I not enjoying the sound but want to understand if things are optimized or not. But overall this is good fun which a cd player doesn't offer.
Thanks.

PS. I was reading somewhere there are some vinyl nuts who marks on the vinyl cover the particular VTF applicable to a particular album. That is really tedious. Have you come across anybody like that?:)

Yes, VTA raises and lowers the height of the tonearm in relation to the record surface. Turning the VPI VTA dial clockwise lowers the arm base. This lowers the VTA, increases the VTF and tends to increase bass while reducing highs. Turning the dial counter-clockwise increases the VTA, lowers the VTF and increases high frequencies while reducing lower frequencies.

Azimuth can be set by eye. In fact, I use a silver Compact Disc (I guess they are good for SOMETHING at least! hehe) and place it on the platter without a record on it. Then I simply place the needle on the disc. You want to try and make sure the actual stylus and the reflection of the stylus on the disc line up perfectly straight. If the stylus is bending towards either direction, it is easily seen via the reflection. Just my way of setting up Azimuth and it works very well for me. Good to re-confirm with that hifi test LP since you have it as well.

Have fun!

Viren, Ashok, Kamal and Amit were home yesterday to listen to the EAR-Bel Canto-Usher set-up. Viren's preamp was plugged in after a while and there was a definite improvement overall in tbe quality of sound. Think I'll get a preamp even though the EAR has a vol control.

Your vinyl journey sounds fantastic. Can't wait to hear it; hopefully in the next few months.

Soumen, yaar where have u been?! Glad to see you being active in the local audio scene. You met some really nice guys. Bet you had fun!

How did they like your setup? I knew you would ultimately go for an active pre. It is the next logical step for u.

Msg me when u know your plans. Would love to see u and catch up!

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back