Pls.post abt your journey to HiFi world

Another friend of mine had a Toshiba boombox in the late 70's - it was tall and big and I still remember was called the "BomBeat". Boy, the bass that the box could pump out was amazing!

First xposure --> dads philips turntable , he was very possesive abt this and never allowed me to touch

second--> dad got a sharp 2 in 1 , that was one hell of a sounding machine ,he was tooo damn possesive abt this too

after all the fights happening at home bcoz of dad not allowing me to touch his equipments i got a B,day present from mom after lot of persuasion ,and that was a cassete deck with 2 huge spkrs from SP road for 2k , this was too good for those days and this cassete deck had a line in , to which i connected a sony discman ,and the sound was wow!!

@ this time there used to be a shop nxt to galaxy theater/bangalore (both these doesnt exist any more) this shop had some amazing stereo amps/spkrs/ cassete decks from pioneer ,sony etc ,these were not for sale ,jst on display and this guy used to do some great recordings from CD to tapes--so ended up being a regular to this shop and used to spend hours looking at all the amazing equipments

first hifi buy of mine was a Sondyne A 2.6 powered speakers which came along with a small preamp , man this was amazing stuff , all i had to do was connect my disc man to the preamp, nxt i added on a sub from sonodyne to the system , this was great , then came along a dedicated CDP ,marantz 4000,the sound was incredible -------> from then on its always beeen going up the ladder :) (in fact i recently sold the above set up , this was with me for almost 10yrs although wasnt used much in the past 5 years ,the thot of letting it go had me in tears as this was my first hifi)

Last edited:
Still waiting for big & poppular names like-

venkatr, MBR, Cranky,marsillin,Dinayar,Thevortex,Asit and many other(sorry if I missed big-one)

Hi Spiro,

I am not anybody big, actually quite small in everything except perhaps a bit of musical ability.

All the other names you have taken are indeed big and popular.

In any case, I have no problems sharing my experience with all of you. The reason I was hesitating to write a post here was that in some form or the other I have written about it in parts in many places in this forum. Okay, if you want it, I'll try to put everything together here for record. I'll do that whenever I have some time. Please excuse me till then.

Regards.

Wonderful thread.

Thought of sharing my journey as well. My descent HiFi journey started very recently, but had a passion towards this for a very long time.

Listening to music extensively started with Cassettes and a Panasonic 2 in 1 way back in mid 80's ------> upgraded :rolleyes: to a more powerful Sanyo Car Cassette deck fitted into a black tin box to look compact and a DIY speaker, just a mid-range speaker fitted into a plywood box. But, then this lacked bass , so got myself two clay pots (srini also mentioned something like it), hung it from Ceiling (just to protect it from somebody breaking it !) and covered the mouth of the pot with correct size woofers overturned (maaaax bass :D) - all speakers connected from the same L and R terminals. This way i enjoyed many many tamil film songs for years !

-----> upgraded to a 2 ch amp picked up from the local electronics bazzar, made a huge plywood cabinet for speakers and fitted a woofer, midrange and a tweeter with a locally bought crossover (at that time, i did not even got into the serious electronics part of it as i did no know :eek:). The speaker looked like a Speaker, but sounded, i am not sure - was descent according to the limited understanding. I remember how i carried those two big boxes in a 2nd class sleeper compartment train from Chennai to Delhi after my marriage in mid 90's - they were blocking the pathway in the compartment and :eek:

-----> then a descent Thomson RCA CD changer music system with Kevlar cone speakers and a good bass (having it still in my parents room) - Changer does not work though, using it as an amp and for those nice speakers connected to a CD player and Ipod as a source straight in Aux.

------> now recently into a proper entry level setup and beginning to learn the tricks of the trade.

It is good to see how all our freinds have gone through their journey and it rekindles many memories. Lovely thread and looking forward to see many more.

swami

Hi all,

I was born in a musical family where music was practised day in and day out, so there was music right from the time I was born. Many great musicians used to come to our place and at home or at many other numerous concerts I have heard almost all of the great Indian classical musicians of the time from almost a hand-shaking distance. I have also taken rigorous training in vocal Indian classical music from three gurus, at least 10 years of training from each. I was good in academics and my parents wanted me to take academics as profession. I went to an IIT after school leaving, but came back home almost immediately very home sick, did my undergraduates in Presidency College, one of the best places to do Physics those days. I did my Graduate studies including PhD and post-doctoral reserach in several places in the US and Europe. Came back and settled in Kolkata with a faculty position, despite a few opportunities, never thought of settling in the West, mainly for the music.

At home there was a transistor radio (very rare in those days, one of my elder brothers brought from US) and Hitachi spool recorder/player and a HMV Phonogram.

Till about 15 years of age, I was strictly prohibited from listening to anything else than Indian classical music.

First thing I bought in the US was a GE cassette recorder/player for about USD 30 in late 1981. BTW, I recorded a full Bhimsen Joshi concert in Pittsburgh (I was graduate student in Carnegie-Mellon Univ) in that GE recorder and I still have those two cassettes working. Then in 1983, I bought a Magnavox 2-in-1 stereo system (with detachable speakers) for about USD 150. I was amazed by the improvement of sound in that compact stereo system. Around 85/86, I bought a full Technics system with stereo separates, comprising of an integrated amp, a cassette recorder/player, a tuner, a TT and two large BS speakers. This whole system was bought for about USD 500 on a going-out-business sale at 1/3rd the price.

From my very early days in the US, I used to get invited by many Indian families (mostly Bengalis, Maharashtrians, Kannadigas, Tamils, Malayalis and Gujarathis) to their places. They used to give me very good food, and in return I had to sing for them. They were all hard-core Indian classical followers. All of them had very decent to high-end music systems and many of them used to record my singing and organise concerts for me. This was my first exposure to good-quality music systems, and I decided some day when I would be earning, I should have such systems. To many of them I became like a family member, and seeing my interests, at times they would call me to accompnay them when they went to audition some equipment. So I had a taste of all this already when I was graduate student in the US.

Within a few years some of my friends in Engineering graduated and were absorbed in the US Industries. Some of them also bought houses and decent music systems. As I have mentioned elsewhere, one such friend of mine had a Nakamichi Dragon Cassette deck at that time, and from 86 till 88, I listened to this Dragon almost regularly.

After finishing my PhD in 88, I went to Germany for my first post-doc (also got married). My wife was a professional dancer and had toured the whole world performing with her group. So I did not really get any resistance from her in two very important things in my life: 1) spending on audio equipments, 2) coming back to India in the end of 1994.

Soon after we sort of settled in Germany, we started auditioning audio equipments. But before that, we bought a 2-in-1 Hitachi system for nearly DM 300 and it was an excellent buy and could also record at a decent quality - amazing little machine. This was mainly bought for my wife though, because she was still occasionally performing and for rehearsals she needed such an unit.

Slowly we bought our system. First my Canton speakers for DM 2000. I bought them as demo pieces and got a discount of DM 400. As most of you know, they are still working and in fabulous condition. I really would be at a loss when they go down and stop functioning.

Then my HK6300 amp (DM800-900), Denon DCD920 CDP (DM 850-900), Aiwa 3-head cassette deck (DM 650-700), Dual CS5000 TT (DM 800-900), Kenwood GE5020 (DM500) equalizer all followed. Also bought AKG K500 (top of the line then for about DM 350) headphones for late night use. Got a stereo microphone and a pre-amp to go with for home recording. These were from a small Dutch company called 'Prefer' (DM 350). I did several fantastic recording with this unit using my Sony Pro walkman WMD6 (DM 800). At my home recently Cranky did hear one such recording of a concert of Ali Akbar Khan and was amazed at the quality.

After a 4 year stint in Germany we again went back to the US for a 2nd post-doc, carrying all these equipments and also a Grundig multi-system TV and a Panasonic multi-system VCR with features such as picture-in-picture (exotic features in those days).

After that I have bought several other equipments up to the Leben and the Nakamichi deck recently. But this is how it all started.

One thing I have to say before ending. I always enjoy music if the music is good. Because of my long involvement, taalim and riyaz in music, I can instantly do notation of all music I hear. But generally I tend not to be analytic unless I want to learn something from that recording. Similarly, given the quality of the equipments are decent, I tend not to nitpick all things about an equipment, although I immediately see many aspects of a system, like the tonal balance, clarity, macro and micro-dynamics, imaging, soundstage etc etc. Somehow, I have conditioned myself in a way so that when GOOD music starts playing, despite all the analytic activities going on in the background both in the music and equipment fronts, I enjoy the music and get fully immersed in it.

Regards.

Last edited:
That was a lovely introduction, Asit!

And thanks Spirovious for a quality thread. I will surely share my extremely small and ongoing journey soon.

Thats gr8 post,very nice musical journey Asit.
Can you name the musicians if possible?

@thevortex-Thanks & share your way with us.

@Asit- Awesome musical journey:clapping: In my humble experience I have noticed that people with musical ability or instrument players tend to have the most musical systems. BTW great thread. Njoyd reading the various experiences.
Cheers
Sid

Last edited:
Hi all,

I was born in a musical family where music was practised day in and day out, so there was music right from the time I was born.

My wife was a professional dancer and had toured the whole world performing with her group. So I did not really get any resistance from her in two very important things in my life: 1) spending on audio equipments, 2) coming back to India in the end of 1994.

Hi Asit,

Really yours is an wonderful and TRUE jouney in the world of Real life of music ...

Regards

Asit Sir,
You bring a world of knowledge, passion and humility to your posts.
It has always been an immense learning experience reading them.
Thanks and Regards
Moktan

Hi,

Thanks to Spirovious for starting this thread! @Asit, it was really worth waiting! That was a splendid journey into the world of music. Beautiful narration!

Eagerly waiting for others posts.

Cheers!

That's another gr8 post.
After reading all work done by Asit & Cranky,I feel my journey is just @ baseline. I did similar DIY so called system in Boys common room using walky as source,my DIY local amp & pioneer car spk mounted open on Table with drawers taking out.Bass was very good,but system was just nowhere close to hifi.:)

Murthy, Psycho, Srini, Venkatesh, Vortex, Spiro, Sid, Moktan and Cranky,

Thanks for the kind gesture and words. There is no difference between your journeys and mine, except that it started very early, almost as soon as I was born, or perhaps even before it.

The realisation was assisted by a conversation (or its equivalent, in those days) with my father.

Cranky,

I am interested to know about that 'conversation' in more detail. Of course I knew a bit of what you have written, first-hand, still it was a joy to read through your eloquent expression.

Regards.

Last edited:
Hi All,
It is pleasure reading about your journey to Hifiworld. Thanks for sharing.

"It is good to have an end to journey towards; but it is the journey that matters in the end.
Ursula Kroeber Le Guin
-American author

Panasonic stereo 2 in one - Class 7

Sony Walkman - class 9 - This was a revelation !

Pioneer mini combo with a Sony LP Player - Class 11

Replaced the Pioneer Mini combo speakers with DIY 3 -way with bolton drivers - When I was 20.

Junked the Pioneer Mini combo and got myself a Pioneer amp and technics cassette deck and technics cd player and existing sony LP - When I was 22

Made different version of DIY speakers and till I was 23. I used to earn pocket money by making these for friends.

Junked all the DIY and got myself a Sansui 3 way loudspeaker - When I was 24

Owned three Bose loudspeakers in succession 601, 201, acoustimass. Tried out some used gear by Sansui, Nakamichi during this period. - From 24 to 28
Sold all the Bose and Sansui loudspeakers and got myself a wharfedale diamond 8.4 - When I was 28. This was my first entry into hifi.

Sold all the japanese gear and got myself a Nad C350 - Another revelation ! - When I was 30.

Last few years:

Sold the wharfedale 8.4 and got myself a Acoustic portrait MS 301 - A revelation !

Bought a Acoustic portrait - Tube preamp

Odyssey Stratos power amp

Arcam cd73t cd player

Latest change: 2009

Sold the MS 301 and invested in a custom made 2 way loudspeaker with scan speak drivers by Acoustic Portrait.

All wiring / cables are from a japanse company who makes cables for recording studios.

The biggest realisations/Influences:

1. What a scam Bose is !
2. Introduction to Nad - This was a massive improvement from all the Japanse amps I used to own/checkout.
3. The LP player. Real hifi sound during the 90's.
4. Wharfedale - My first intro to entry level hifi. Learned the art of pleasent hifi (very diplomatic sound) by the british at affordable prices. I still respect what they achieved at such a low price.
5. Introduction to acoustic portrait. The art of building real-hifi. I like the designers approach. This was a life changer for me.
6. What a scam most review magazines are !
7. DIY if done right has massive possibilities.
8. The value of "correct setup"
9. Introduction to Jazz, Western and Indian classical changed my outlook towards hifidelity sound !
10. Vinyl and tubes

Some other hifi brands / products / Approaches which has influenced me during this journey. For various reasons like value,quality, belief systems.
1. Cadence loudspeakers
2. Odyssey amplifiers
3. 47 Labs - Pie tracer
4. Proac response 1se
5. Linn LP 12
6. Nakamichi cassette decks
7. Shindo labs
8. Leben hifi
9. Symphonic line amplifiers
10. Electronic room correction and Emerald Physics loudspeakers
11. Rethm Loudspeakers

Last edited:
Hi Asit

I am truly impressed by the fact that you gave up a seat in IIT and decided to pursue pure science at the Presidency. I do not know of anyone who has done that. Even more impressive is the fact that after your post doctorate you decided to come back to Calcutta to teach. Just goes to show the kind of passion and belief you have in pursuing what you want to.

Dear All

Heres my story towards how I got into this side of audio.

Before I begin, I wish to state that I dedicate all the under-mentioned to my late father who passed away exactly 1 year from today & he more than a strict parent was my "greatest friend" who constantly pushed & inspired me and also appreciated each and every nuance of this road. I sincerely miss him. 'May his soul rest in peace'

Im married with 1 son & a 1-month old daughter. My 13 yr old son is into DIY tinkering & this gives me tremendous pleasure as long as its a hobby since academics come first in this cut-throat competitive world.

Thank you all for patiently reading thro this long post.

-------------------------------------------------------------

)

Hi ,

It was an amazing journey of yours next to Asit.. You guys were real Music guys and travel is True Journey.

We some gangs out here were just passing by......

Yes, Our Father is our "First Friend".. We should know the value of them when they were with us......

Good !!! next Audio_Engr is out in your house. His journey has already started and soon we can expect your son's. Tiger's son will Tiger Only.. dont worry about academics...

Thanks for sharing..

Regards

Lovely lovely reports, everybody. I have started reading the thread from the beginning, unfortunately getting interrupted by work (will do it quietly at home), but the sincerity of all posters has touched me.

Sq-Wave, thanks to you for your immense contribution in my amp thread, thereby drawing my attention to a few things I did not take enough notice of..

Audio_engr, awesome report! I have only one question though. Do you still practice your violin? I am ready to give a 3-hr vocal classical concert on short notice, but I usually avoid giving concerts unless it is completely on my own terms (because the music scenario has completely changed after I came back from abroad and fortunately I earn my bread from another means).

Spiro, I forgot to answer your query. Yes, I've heard almost anybody, starting from early 60's (when I was only a few years old). I cannot think of anybody I have not heard from close quarters. Some of them also came to our place. I have many lovely and touching episodes I can remember from those days that still brings tears to my eyes. Those days were special.

Prem, Why just me? In our Presidency College Physics batch we were about 14 in all and about half of them dropped IIT and joined our batch. Presidency College Physics and Economics were very very special those days. Many of the eminent physicists and economists have come from Presidency College, including the Nobel Laureate Amartya Sen. As a second comment, our Institute in Kolkata is meant for basic research where students join only after their MSc for their PhD work. Yes, we do teach, but only at the PhD level. I have two students who have already finished their PhD. Two more have joined me this year.

Regards.

Thanks squarewave & audioengr for sharing wonderful journey.
Many looks to come from music family :)

Last edited:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back