Pls suggest Airtel vs Reliance for SD channels only ?? :)

techspark

Hi, i m going to buy a new dth connection and i am only going to watch Sd channels.

I would like to know if airtel would be better or reliance big tv SD box. ( in terms of service and how often it gets disconnected)

One important thing i need is the Set top box should have component video output ports i can only use component ports to connect to my tv.

Big tv stb has component out but not sure about airtel.

Also are both using mpeg4 - which of them has better picture quality ??

All replies will b appreciated, thanks!

Last edited:
RDTV has upscaling for all SD channels to HD which slightly improves the picture quality. But you need to buy the HD STB.

Does the upscaling help in anyway. I dont want to spend 1.5k extra for the stb if there is only slight improvement in quality.

Can someone who has see both reliance Sd stb and Hd upscaled stb comment on the quality difference, if its really worth then i dont mind spending 2k extra.

Not worth spending 2K more if you are watching only SD content and from a sufficiently large distance.

I would say Airtel. I would also suggest buying an HD box if you plan to buy an LCD in the near future to become futureproof. The HD box also has an added advantage of recording. You can record tv programs (one at a time) to an external pen drive or hard disk to watch later. The difference in SD and HD box should not be more than 1500 bucks as far as airtel is concerned.

Upscaling won't be visible on a CRT TV.

Thanks guys for your inputs. I would like to confirm one thing, does the airtel set top box have component output (red,green,blue rca ports) ???

Thanks guys for your inputs. I would like to confirm one thing, does the airtel set top box have component output (red,green,blue rca ports) ???

Yes, every set top box including HD STB have RCA outputs.

No. Not all STB's have component out, especially SD. Verify before buying.

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk 2

Yes, every set top box including HD STB have RCA outputs.

Nope, my local provider's stb does not have component(rgb) out. Even dish Sd and dish+ doesnt have component out. I m not sure but i think even tata sky SD box doesnt have component out.

Its very important for me that the stb has component out.

I found this manual online http://s3.amazonaws.com/tektikrblogs/TUI/Docs/Airtel-Digital-TV-STB-User-Guide.pdf and as per this manual, it looks like the airtel SD Box also doesn't have component (rgb) output :(. Can someone confirm?

Nope, my local provider's stb does not have component(rgb) out. Even dish Sd and dish+ doesnt have component out. I m not sure but i think even tata sky SD box doesnt have component out.

Its very important for me that the stb has component out.

I found this manual online http://s3.amazonaws.com/tektikrblogs/TUI/Docs/Airtel-Digital-TV-STB-User-Guide.pdf and as per this manual, it looks like the airtel SD Box also doesn't have component (rgb) output :(. Can someone confirm?

Component out is not going to make a huge difference in case of an SD signal.

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk 2

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back