Pls suggest plate amp for yht-196 sub woofer

senthil83kumar

I recently bought a Yamaha yht-196 HTiB and found the passive subwoofer it came with too under-powered for my living room. After looking at posts in AV forums, I understand that I can improve subwoofer performance by adding a subwoofer plate amp (thereby making it active). I have a few queries in this regard and hope you ppl would help me out.
1.Any suggestions on which amp I should go for? The subwoofer is 16cm cone type with max power handling of 100W
2.Can I use the subwoofer preout (since plate amp is gonna amplify signal anyway) and cut power to subwoofer in AVR for better power distribution to the other 5 speakers?

Any suggestion would be really really helpful!

Thanks & Regards,
Senthil C

You certain can do that. This will give you better result. The only thing to consider is whether the driver is capable of handling this extra juice.

You are very rite that this will help amp to perform better for other 5 channels as the low frequencies are most power demanding and steal the power from amp. You separate this part amp will drive other five with ease and much low distortion.

You certain can do that. This will give you better result. The only thing to consider is whether the driver is capable of handling this extra juice.

You are very rite that this will help amp to perform better for other 5 channels as the low frequencies are most power demanding and steal the power from amp. You separate this part amp will drive other five with ease and much low distortion.
Thanks Koushik! any idea where can i get a plate amp in Chennai or online?

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back