Help required on AV receiver and matching speakers

manindra.mukherjee

I am having a Yamaha HTR 2064 (part of Yamaha YHT 196 HTiB) with the below specs

Amplifier Section Channel 5.1
Rated Output Power (1kHz, 1ch driven) 100W (6ohms, 0.9% THD)
Dynamic Power per Channel (8/6/4/2 ohms) -/130/160/180W

Yamaha Speaker Specs

Driver 7cm full-range cone
Nominal Input Power 30 W
Maximum Input Power 100 W
Sensitivity 83 dB/2.83 V/1 m

I am planning to upgrade the stock speakers with Sonodyne Genie 1 for Front and Surround and Genie V2 for Center which I auditioned and found to be good (with Denon AV available at showroom)

Specs for the speaker are:
Front and Surround Speakers (Genie 1)

CONTINUOUS POWER (RMS): 60 W
SENSITIVITY (1W/ 1M) : 87 dB
FREQ. RESPONSE (+3 dB) : 130 Hz ~ 20 kHz
NOMINAL IMPEDANCE : 8 Ohm

Center Speaker (Genie 2 V2)

CONTINUOUS POWER (RMS) 85 W
SENSITIVITY(1W/ 1M) :89 dB
FREQ. RESP. (+3 dB) :110 Hz ~ 20 kHz
NOMINAL IMPEDANCE :8 Ohm

I have the below doubts and seek advise on the same

1. Will this combination deliver a better performance....i.e. Will the amp be able to drive the new speakers. I have a separate active sub woofer and have disconnected the stock passive sub which came in the box.

2. Is this worth an upgrade. Sounded pretty good at audition though better than my HtIB.

3. Can I just upgrade the front 2 speakers and leave out the center and the surround. Will that have a non uniform sound effect

Thanks.

I am having a Yamaha HTR 2064 (part of Yamaha YHT 196 HTiB) with the below specs

Amplifier Section Channel 5.1
Rated Output Power (1kHz, 1ch driven) 100W (6ohms, 0.9% THD)
Dynamic Power per Channel (8/6/4/2 ohms) -/130/160/180W

Yamaha Speaker Specs

Driver 7cm full-range cone
Nominal Input Power 30 W
Maximum Input Power 100 W
Sensitivity 83 dB/2.83 V/1 m

I am planning to upgrade the stock speakers with Sonodyne Genie 1 for Front and Surround and Genie V2 for Center which I auditioned and found to be good (with Denon AV available at showroom)

Specs for the speaker are:
Front and Surround Speakers (Genie 1)

CONTINUOUS POWER (RMS): 60 W
SENSITIVITY (1W/ 1M) : 87 dB
FREQ. RESPONSE (+3 dB) : 130 Hz ~ 20 kHz
NOMINAL IMPEDANCE : 8 Ohm

Center Speaker (Genie 2 V2)

CONTINUOUS POWER (RMS) 85 W
SENSITIVITY(1W/ 1M) :89 dB
FREQ. RESP. (+3 dB) :110 Hz ~ 20 kHz
NOMINAL IMPEDANCE :8 Ohm

I have the below doubts and seek advise on the same

1. Will this combination deliver a better performance....i.e. Will the amp be able to drive the new speakers. I have a separate active sub woofer and have disconnected the stock passive sub which came in the box.

2. Is this worth an upgrade. Sounded pretty good at audition though better than my HtIB.

3. Can I just upgrade the front 2 speakers and leave out the center and the surround. Will that have a non uniform sound effect

Thanks.

Sonodyne Genie 2 are very good speaker for the money.... They are 89db efficient & would would be very easy for any AVR to drive them....

Ofcourse, seperate components offer better performance than HTIB speakers...

Make your Left, Center & Right with Sonodyne Genie 2 / Or Genie 1.....

If all the 3 (L,C,R) speakers are from same family, you will have uniform effect.....

Seriously doubt if you are from the Sonodyne marketing dept :lol: and if you are not, they should seriously reward you for all the efforts...

Sonodyne Genie 2 are very good speaker for the money.... They are 89db efficient & would would be very easy for any AVR to drive them....

Ofcourse, seperate components offer better performance than HTIB speakers...

Make your Left, Center & Right with Sonodyne Genie 2 / Or Genie 1.....

If all the 3 (L,C,R) speakers are from same family, you will have uniform effect.....

Last edited:
Seriously doubt if you are from the Sonodyne marketing dept :lol: and if you are not, they should seriously reward you for all the efforts...

I have received many such comments from FM here... Thanks for the compliment... I wish i was :clapping:... If i was, i would have atleast made Sonodyne the first choice for anyone who thinks about stereo (or) home theater in india..:)

International product range are good, very good but pricey in India :mad:... I always recommend Sonodyne range of products to consider to fellow FM who are on very tight budgets....

When you know that you have bought a really satisfying product for half of the international product price, no one else could be happier than you...

Sonodyne is for music lovers (at-least from my prospective), for movies I would choose another

Sonodyne is equally good for music & movies....

Am not sure if you have listened to their Avant range of products.... Match it with a midrange AVR & it can seriously compete any HT setup a lil more than a Lakh rupees...

They do a brilliant performance for movies...

Please suggest something better to our FM, than elangoas.

No point in SONODYNE bashing. Our, FM has already bought Roar 108 after auditioning Polk subs.
Please go through what he had to say about his audition.

No point in SONODYNE bashing. Our, FM has already bought Roar 108 after auditioning Polk subs.

Everybody supports the products they own , it is quite natural.We have Fenda F& D speakers owners review and recommendations here; its cheap but that not means they are world class products.Sonodyne with equivalent quality speakers are not less pricey than international brands ex Polk speakers.The fm who bought Roar sub may like it better than polk ;that does not mean Polk subs are less quality than Roar sub. Roar is 100watts but Polk is 150 watts. Roar is 8 inch and Polk is12 inch sw.MRP is more or less same. for less powered Roar sub.

You can create a different thread for SONODYNE bashing. Justified!

Again , no suggestions better than what Elangoas suggested.

He compared with Polk PSW 110, which has 10 inch driver with 100 watts continuous power and costs 4K more. Please get the facts right.

Still, I respect your opinion, if you find them to your ears of world class quality.

Last edited:
I don't need to start a separate thread to bash Sonodyne.I didn't say that my ears are of world quality also.If Sonodyne lovers have ears of world quality let it be so.May be you can judge sonodyne better since you have audiophile ears, i have an ordinary one only.So im not liking it.PSW110 is continuous 200 watts (better you chk facts with Profx) with 10 incher and mrp was 15k with 10% discount till last month.Now only they increased to 18.5k still it is mrp.Roar108 mrp also 18,190.00.2 inch lesser sub almost cost equally.

I can suggest better speakers, but that will mean a direct fight between Sonodyne and that brand because Sonodyne marketing department can take on any speakers here and fits in with their suggestions irrespective of the budget/ size/ color/ specs.

If someone wants black speakers, then genie appears, someone want wood, then sonus appears, bookshelf small genie appears, maybe they are good speakers but why shove everyone with the same Peerless woofers in an outdated cabinet design.

If someone wants black speakers, then genie appears, someone want wood, then sonus appears, bookshelf small genie appears, maybe they are good speakers but why shove everyone with the same Peerless woofers in an outdated cabinet design.

@premblr - Could you please tell the brand of speaker offered for the same price as Sonodyne offer with uptodate cabinet design....

@premblr - Could you please tell the brand of speaker offered for the same price as Sonodyne offer with uptodate cabinet design....

@Elangoas and @drkaushik we can stop these cat and mouse fight for sonodyne/polk arguments .For you Sonodyne delivers better audio.me and Premblr we like Polk.Let us enjoy our own audio perceptions.

I have and own better speakers than the above brand with a curved cabinet design, not a rectangular box. I had auditioned the said brand twice with different set of people before my buying decision. It is not just me, my buying decision was not alone.

Anyways, as subbu said let us bury this argument... to each his own.

Guys can you please help with the speaker specs which can work with the av reciever. Is a 8 ohm 85db sensitivity OK for a av reciver delivering 100W/ channel @1Khz , 6 ohm. I am unable to proceed to shortlist a few speakers. Please help

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back