Pls use caution and common sense - IMP PLS READ - U COULD BE NEXT

Venkat: Can edit your post and remove the last 4 lines? They should be in the thread which is currently discussing search, other topics etc.

Else people will start replying for your post and this thread will loose its purpose.

Thanks for the heads-up on this, madbullram, and sorry to hear about your young friend. Cynical as I can sometimes be, I'd never considered that there could be predators on tech-oriented forums.

Perhaps it would be prudent for members to only invite those people over with whom they've already interacted at, say, local HFV events.

My 2 p.

Hi Madbullram,

If you don't reveal the name, the whole point of your post is pretty useless cos you're letting a known perpetrator possibly repeat it on one of us. If you don't want to make it public at least pm it to all of us to we can be aware and be safe. Otherwise you're committing the crime of knowing and not protecting others. For all I know Suri might be frying my banana chips in Rohypnol right now!!! :D

Please. :)

regards
steve

very scary indeed...one shud be very careful and cautious at all times..
thanks madbullram for making everyone of us aware.and at the same time am very sorry for the people who underwent this ordeal.

Shocking to hear this but not surprised. I wish they get well soon.
Our forum is filled with personal details from member's star signs to their age and what they do to how much they earn.

Lets see what personal details are available in hifivision, a public forum ...
- Name
- your pics
- What do you do for a living
- Marital status
- your age

Now only how much you earn, your zodiac sign & personal health details remains.
I am rapidly getting old Just worrying about this ...
No offense to anyone but guys refrain from posting personal details. Use the MESSAGE BOX.
Regards

Dear Madbullram,

Thanks for starting this thread. I never expected something like this could happen to a forum member. I always thought that we all have a common subject to discuss and exchange views. In my earlier years when I was an amateur radio enthusiast I used to have friends come over and I used to visit friends. But now we have to take all new "friends" with a pinch of salt. I agree wholeheartedly with you that the first few meetings should be in a common ground and not in one's house.

P.N. Reddy

OMG OMG !! terrible it is ...hoping your friend gets over this and moves on fine...whatever would make him happy and feel better...having a friend along when inviting strangers should be a followed i guess....an eyeopener ram ur thread...tc..

Thanks MBR,
This precaution everyone shld take.In Mumbai,there are many such cases & everyone shld be awared of those.

Really dengerous . Would keep this in mind . Will spread the news as far as possible . Yesterday only one of my friend was discussing that internet has made it possible to bring together a group of people with common interest and to trust people with out even knowing them. It is common passion that makes us trust people through this type of forum.

This is an example to the contrary ......

Pratim

Oh i forgot to add if you do need help do post am sure we have a pool of talent here on the forum who can pitch in right from lawyers to writers to what not!

regards

What a disturbing news, Ram. More than the loss of the materials, it is the belief of your friend and his GF that has been betrayed. It takes a long time to recover from this.

I had a similar but much less dangerous thing happen to me when I was finishing up my grad school and was moving from one foreign continent to the other - I had an enormous quantity of books and notes that I didn't have the resources for at the time to move to my new place of work. A 'friend' who had a house volunteered to keep these 30 boxes of books etc in his basement and ship to me later at a date convenient to me. I'd pay him of course. In a few months time when I wanted the books shipped, the guy could not remember anything about my boxes. When I pressed hard, he said something about some flooding in the basement and he said perhaps all my boxes had been thrown out. Till this day, I cannot forget this. Till this day I have a hard time coming to terms with what happened. Since then I have bought many of the books back, but cannot replace the enormous volumes of notes, homeworks etc that I still need from time to time.

In this case, why can't something be done about it. I understand both your friend and the offender belong to some other forum. Can't the offender be traced using this other forum? This offender should be brought to justice, it's a criminal offence.

Regards.

Exactly captain, as we meet these beautiful souls we tend to forget that there are demonic inceptions in this world and we drop our guard at the wrong time.

@Vekat: The first person who came to mind was you. I know you are cautious and vigilant BUT pls pls pls be more cautious, the last person i want to see hurt!

@ venkat - i assure you that (when i come to chennai and stay with you) that I will not drug/sedate you and steal all your audio gear!:)

regds suri

Wowhh... this is shocking, when I think of it, I get a chill in my spine. There have been times when I have been to fellow members house and have invited few to my place. I have some really good friends through this very forum itself and thinking of something like this is really freaky.
Come to think of the fact that I met Sumit through this very forum and our friendship have matured enough to form a partnership in business and starting a venture of High end Audio Visuals business.
There have been times when I have even loaned my equipment to a fellow member without having any fear in my mind but this narration would change that attitude of mine forever.
Thanks Ram for sharing it with us.

It's really a very shocking episode - a great lesson for others. Hope your friend recovers from the shock soon.

I have posted in other forums I frequent like T-Bhp. Pls feel free to post this in any forum you think this would be informative. I have no problem
Thanks: I'll post it on IndiaMike. Many members there are resident Indians anyway, but this sort of scam is bound to be tailored to play on tourists at some time in the future.

Biscuit bandits come home, eh? :mad::sad:

Last edited:
Woow !! That is scary as all of us are gullible when it comes to our passions.
Would like to share another con going around in Chennai.

was on the lookout for a Karizma. Found one advertised in a leading newspaper.
So I called the guy - The deal he gave was unbelievable.
Fixed to meet him on Monday. He asks me to meet him On Kodambakkam High Road near AVM Studio outside a Hotel.
When quizzed about the venue not being his house. He gave some story about parents and how they might not want him to buy a Ninja 250 etc, etc.

On my way there I get stuck in traffic and ask a former colleague who is also a avid biker to go there check the bike and give him the sellers phone no.
He calls back in around ten minutes and asks me not to come as the bike is not available. I turn back home.

NOW THE CON My colleague call me a little later .The story goes like this . The cheats advertise a bike well below market price and is too immaculate to be true.
Once you test ride it they are " WILLING " to take a Rs. 1000 /- or 500 or anything you have as advance and ask you to come the next day to a financier's office to collect the bike papers.
The next day when you land there you will find a couple more Bakras all having given an advance.
I did not know where to put this beyond Team BHp but for some strange reason I am unable to post over there.
So thanks to Ram I could share it with you guys

Thanks MBR for this post.

I was thinking as to how one could avoid such scenarios. And the points that come to my mind are points that have been already mentioned above:

1.>Avoid personal touch with noobs
Most of such people would be looking to pull a fast move, and will likely not invest a lot of time in the subject matter of the forum (I should guess not more than 3 months at any rate)

2.>Make your first contact at a physical forum meet
Again, my reasoning is as above. Such people wouldn't want invest significant time in the forum. So meeting you at forum meet and then meeting you later at your residence would be a lot of time.

Of course, these are just guidelines. And thieves are know to observe/study their targets for a month or two before striking.

These kind of incidents happen in many places mostly in train I have seen these kind of incidents in movies also.For example this weak I saw Dil Chanta Hai in that movie saif ali khan is facing this kind of situation in goa resort.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back