PM6005 volume potentiometer

Sdpak

Hi,
I need to replace a scratchy potentiometer in Marantz PM6005. Original is Alps 50k which I am not getting. Can I replace this with 100k? Would this impact the should quality? Please let me know. Thanks

The units are not sealed airtight. You could drop isopropyl alcohol through the area where the leads are. Might be tough when it's soldered to the board. Use a syringe with a needle . Remember to blunt the needle with some sandpaper so that you don't poke yourself accidentally !
Taking the pot off the board is dicey and you could lift off the pcb tracks if you are not very careful. Better to keep injecting the isopropyl several times while operating the pot , with the power off of course. Then wait for the unit to dry out thoroughly. Maybe keep it in the sun ! Try tilting the amp sideways etc. with each effort so that the alcohol flows all over the wafers inside.
I have a motorised RK168 somewhere. I'll look for it tomorrow.

You could use the 100K pot. There would be a slight noise penalty at higher volume levels but this should be academic in nature and not really audibly affect what you hear. But it's always better to try and clean it as it is in every way you can before you try to take it out. Typical pcb's are OK for manufacture but not forgiving if you mess around with it with too much heat or physical manhandling.
Can you put up a picture on where it's located . Does it have a daughter ( small ) board of it's own ?

The units are not sealed airtight. You could drop isopropyl alcohol through the area where the leads are. Might be tough when it's soldered to the board. Use a syringe with a needle . Remember to blunt the needle with some sandpaper so that you don't poke yourself accidentally !
Taking the pot off the board is dicey and you could lift off the pcb tracks if you are not very careful. Better to keep injecting the isopropyl several times while operating the pot , with the power off of course. Then wait for the unit to dry out thoroughly. Maybe keep it in the sun ! Try tilting the amp sideways etc. with each effort so that the alcohol flows all over the wafers inside.

You could use the 100K pot. There would be a slight noise penalty at higher volume levels but this should be academic in nature and not really audibly affect what you hear. But it's always better to try and clean it as it is in every way you can before you try to take it out. Typical pcb's are OK for manufacture but not forgiving if you mess around with it with too much heat or physical manhandling.
Can you put up a picture on where it's located . Does it have a daughter ( small ) board of it's own ?
Thanks a ton for the details explanation. I will try cleaning this first with a help of a service person (the problem is there is no proper authorised service person in Chennai so I was hesitating to give it to anyone else to clean it before I know for sure if 100k would work if I have to replace it eventually. And to your question on the separate PCB, yes, the motorized pot is on a separate PCB but that is not small and has other components as well. Attaching picIMG_20190921_130606.jpg

Did you get a chance to check your RK168?

Success!!!!! I removed the pot from the PCB and opened it... Found the track and contacts....cleaned it with earbuds without using any liquid...and soldered it back! This has done wonders to my amplifier!

Success!!!!! I removed the pot from the PCB and opened it... Found the track and contacts....cleaned it with earbuds without using any liquid...and soldered it back! This has done wonders to my amplifier!
It is good to lubricate the potentiometer as well, you could use Dexoit that would give more longevity.
It not a good idea to remove the lubrication this might damage the tracks in longer run.

It is good to lubricate the potentiometer as well, you could use Dexoit that would give more longevity.
It not a good idea to remove the lubrication this might damage the tracks in longer run.
Oh ok.. thanks for this... Would consider doing it...

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back