Polk DSW 550 vs Velodyne Impact 10 - which would be better?

go and try mordaunt short aviano 7...

much much better than these two!
Really? Better than impact 10? I am looking for a sub too and given the mostly positive impressions FMs have for impact 10, I had pretty much decided to buy it. Will go for aviano 7 if that's supposed to be better (room size 25'x16')

Would like to know what other FMs think of it.

Can somebody also explain to me the significance of +-3 dB?

In my understanding, the subwoofer will attenuate the top and bottom frequencies of the spectrum by 3dB. That's why the Polk Specs read upper and lower -3dB limits.

Is my understanding correct?

BTW any good movie scenes that come to mind to test out subs?

I've been using my Kill Bill DVD. The scene in which Uma fights of that Jap kid Gogo, the one with the spikey metallic ball and chain.

For music I've been using the track 'Punjab' (Aao huzur tumko) by Karunesh.

Any suggestions welcome.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

For songs some recommendations

Sajna ji Vari Vari (Honeymoon Travels) especially the initial 1 min where the drums start beating, listen with and without sub you will hear the difference.

Soni De Nakhre (Partner), ground shaking material

ParDesi Girl from Dostana, drums throughout the song

Dum Maro Dum (Dum Maro Dum)

For movies

U571, in the first 15 mins there is a charge dropping scene on submarine

2012, lots of bassy scenes like volcano exploding, ground braking apart, etc

Jurassic Park 1, where the team first witnesses the dinosaurs and their feet thumps on ground. Again while the team is in the tour-car then there is a place where dinosaur is approaching and there is ripples in a glass of water

Open Range, midway there is a rain scene, hear out the sound of the thunder

Transformers 1, towards the end where a war breaks out in the desert.

Pearl Harbour, Japs drop bombs on the fleet.

Demoed the PSW 550. I think there was an issue with the sub - firstly the remote wasnt working and secondly I wasnt feeling anything punching me in the chest!

Believe it or not a PSW 110 was sounding better!

The dealer said that the sub was new and needed to be run in. But I doubt it - does a brand new DSW 550 sound so bad when not run in, that a PSW 110 sounds better?

Another issue couldve been the placement - the PSW 110 was flush against a wall while the 550 was placed in front of the 110 - so not flush against anything...

Then we played a run-in DSW 600 keeping it in the same position as the 550 and the shelves started rattling!

Anyway the whole episode was kind of a bummer and I'm finding myself leaning towards velodyne.

One question: Will a Velodyne EQMAX 8 incher sound better than Impact 10?

Hello tanmayj,
Try to demo Klipsch subwoofers too. They are excellent for movies & Music . Look for SW-450 or higher models.
Cheers
Sam

For songs some recommendations

Sajna ji Vari Vari (Honeymoon Travels) especially the initial 1 min where the drums start beating, listen with and without sub you will hear the difference.

Soni De Nakhre (Partner), ground shaking material

ParDesi Girl from Dostana, drums throughout the song

Dum Maro Dum (Dum Maro Dum)

For movies

U571, in the first 15 mins there is a charge dropping scene on submarine

2012, lots of bassy scenes like volcano exploding, ground braking apart, etc

Jurassic Park 1, where the team first witnesses the dinosaurs and their feet thumps on ground. Again while the team is in the tour-car then there is a place where dinosaur is approaching and there is ripples in a glass of water

Open Range, midway there is a rain scene, hear out the sound of the thunder

Transformers 1, towards the end where a war breaks out in the desert.

Pearl Harbour, Japs drop bombs on the fleet.

nice list...i am writing it down..

wanna add..

men in black 3 last space shuttle launch scene..

Really? Better than impact 10? I am looking for a sub too and given the mostly positive impressions FMs have for impact 10, I had pretty much decided to buy it. Will go for aviano 7 if that's supposed to be better (room size 25'x16')

Would like to know what other FMs think of it.

take a demo...u will know...

Back