Polk HTS 10 vs Pro 550

verticalraiser

I have Polk S60, S35 paired with Denon X1400. Currently I am using my old JBL sub and looking to add second sub to it.
I have narrowed down to the below 3 options.

Polk HTS 10
Polk Pro 550
Velodyne Impact 10 or SVS PB 1000

I am more inclined towards HTS10 as it may pair better with my other signature series and its newer addition their lineup. I could not get a chance to audition this though.
I auditioned Pro 550 and it sounded great.
Velodyne and SVS since they make best subs. I can consider them as well if they can pair up well with my setup.

any suggestion and input here will be appreciated. Is HTS 10 with power port really worth and will it sound better than Pro 550? Since Pro 550 is more than 2 years old, will it make a impact? is it better than HTS 10? They price is almost same.
Is velodyne or SVS will make better option? Additional 5K or 10K for these subs, is it really worth?

Venkat.

Last edited:
I owned Polk DSW Pro 550 and really happy with the performance. But from above mentioned list SVS is certainly better than all. FM are upgrading from Polk, Velodyne etc to SVS. May be SVS subs are expensive than all mentioned.

I have Polk S60, S35 paired with Denon X1400. Currently I am using my old JBL sub and looking to add second sub to it.
I have narrowed down to the below 3 options.

Polk HTS 10
Polk Pro 550
Velodyne Impact 10 or SVS PB 1000

I am more inclined towards HTS10 as it may pair better with my other signature series and its newer addition their lineup. I could not get a chance to audition this though.
I auditioned Pro 550 and it sounded great.
Velodyne and SVS since they make best subs. I can consider them as well if they can pair up well with my setup.

any suggestion and input here will be appreciated. Is HTS 10 with power port really worth and will it sound better than Pro 550? Since Pro 550 is more than 2 years old, will it make a impact? is it better than HTS 10? They price is almost same.
Is velodyne or SVS will make better option? Additional 5K or 10K for these subs, is it really worth?

Venkat.

Hi

if you are going to add two subs which are different, you need to ensure that you get the frequencies right...else you end up with too much boominess or muddy sound.....

Check the specs of the sub you already have in terms of power, what frequencies it emits etc.......what are the missing frequencies that is making you inclined to go for a second sub? Or you feel there is not enough bass? try to make some adjustments on the avr and see if you really need another sub...... most avrs nowadays have 2 sub out ports....this is nothing but just a gimmick....all your source content will always be 2.1 or 5.1 or 7.1 etc etc.

Besides the other brands you are focusing on...you can look also at Sunfire, BIC America etc......

Totally satisfied with S60s. Amazing performance. I have 13 X 22 ft room.
I got a pair of Fluance bipolar and pair of inifinity in roof. Infinity is used for Atmos and Fluance is for surrounds. the setup is great and sounds perfect.
advise : I felt HTS 10 is little less for audio from set top box or youtube. It blows away when played with bluray source. Choose HTS 12 if your room size is similar to mine. I am planning to add a second HTS to balance it out.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back