Polk RTi A5 or Wharfedale Diamond 9.5

exljp

Recently my speaker's tweeter gone bad, it is a Polk Monitor 5 series 2. Used it for nearly 18 years. I am in search of a replacement. Anybody compared between Polk RTi A5 vs Wharfedale Diamond 9.5

My amp is a Marantz PM 75 (vintage) 100W RMS per channel at 8 Ohm or 120 RMS per channel at 4 Ohms.

CDP is Marantz 5001, I recently acquired this after my Denon CDP went bad. Thanks to Venkat for selecting this CDP, wonderful CDP for that price.

The system is used 100% for music.

I also want to know Which is better for Denon 2309.
Polk RTi A7 or Wharfedale Diamond 9.6 or If any one have any other suggesions.
I auditioned Polk RTi A5,A7 and KEF iQ5,iQ9 . KEF was supperb in clarity but it had lack of Punching sound for mid low frequencies without subwoofer. But Polk RTi A7 was nicely handeling mid low frequencies. Just want to know do we have better option then Polk RTi A7 in 50-55K ?(Should be able go give good bass without subwoofer)

I tried an audition at Profx y'day for RTI A5, but could not listen to it as the sales guy said 'A5 is not connected, so he cannot play it, call us and come, we will arrange it'. Came out disappointed, but he played Monitor 60, it was awful. I am currently having a Monitor 5 (18 years old), it is miles away compared to Monitor 60. Then tried to get an audition for Diamond 9.5, but shop was closed:(.

I tried an audition at Profx y'day for RTI A5, but could not listen to it as the sales guy said 'A5 is not connected, so he cannot play it, call us and come, we will arrange it'. Came out disappointed, but he played Monitor 60, it was awful. I am currently having a Monitor 5 (18 years old), it is miles away compared to Monitor 60. Then tried to get an audition for Diamond 9.5, but shop was closed:(.

exljp Monitor 60 is just looks good but it sounds bad I know it.
I auditioned Monitor 60,Monitor 50,RTiA5,RTiA7,KEF iQ5,iQ7,iQ9 all in same day one by one. They wont give Audition simpley to any one. If they feel you are really interested and able to afford then they will show you all.
As I had gone with family and I took an appointment they had shown me.
If they will give you audition anyway they wont bother to connect or dissconnect the speaker. Think from there side why they do that if you are not willing to buy?

So what to do? Go with one or two machure people.

exljp Monitor 60 is just looks good but it sounds bad I know it.
I auditioned Monitor 60,Monitor 50,RTiA5,RTiA7,KEF iQ5,iQ7,iQ9 all in same day one by one. They wont give Audition simpley to any one. If they feel you are really interested and able to afford then they will show you all.
As I had gone with family and I took an appointment they had shown me.
If they will give you audition anyway they wont bother to connect or dissconnect the speaker. Think from there side why they do that if you are not willing to buy?

So what to do? Go with one or two machure people.

The problem y'day was that there was no one in the shop except this one guy, the rest was on leave, in fact he mentioned that most of the people are on leave. So I assume it was difficult for him to shift it from the lower floor to the demo room which is on the upper level. He was willing to audition A7 which was already connected, but that was out of my budget. I already have a Polk PSW12 sub, so I thought A5 could be fine for me. How did you find A5?

How did you find A5?
A5 is nice and it gives very punchy sound for Mid low frequency.
I told them to play without subwoofer ,They did so and sound was realy good.
My plan was to buy only floor stand speaker so I was testing that how much bass they can handel.Polk ATi A5 hendeled it very nicely.But as you know it is 2way so A7 is better but costely.
But if you are able to buy A5 and as you said you have subwoofers then according to me don't go for Polk ATi A5(38K) You should buy KEF iQ5(37K). It is 3way and clearity is very very fine. Don't go for size of KEF. In clearity KEF iQ5 was better then Polk ATi A5.
KEF iQ5 is smaller then Polk ATi A5 but you will be able to hear every beat .

One more thing.If you know how to set your Amp. then you can get very good sound from both.
KEF iQ5 didn't handeled Mid low frequency. It is good for clearity.
Polk ATi A5 is good for mid low bass and punchy sounds.
If you audition them one by one you will feel the difference. But to get good output both speakers need different settings . So switching the amp. output between speakers while audition will sound different.

It also depend on what kind of music you like.
If you subwoofer gives enough BASS then go for KEF iQ5
If you need more BASS and punches go for Polk ATi A5.

But at the end of the day your choice dose matter.

Take your own favorite song's CD and audition both one by one at least 1 or 2 hour. Belive me it is realy the best way to choose. :eek:

A5 is nice and it gives very punchy sound for Mid low frequency...
You should buy KEF iQ5(37K). It is 3way and clearity is very very fine. Don't go for size of KEF. In clearity KEF iQ5 was better then Polk ATi A5.
KEF iQ5 is smaller then Polk ATi A5 but you will be able to hear every beat .

:eek:
Thank you for the details, I listened to KEF some time ago and found it to be too bright. So I did not try this time, may be I should try that again.

The RTi A5 versus Diamond 9.5 dilemma is still on... is anyone able to help us on this?tks
Its not RTi A5 versus Diamond 9.5 dilemma.
Its only the information we had.
I have no idea about Diamond 9.5 . If you have some, please share with us.

I listened to Diamond 9.5 couple of times, thanks to Ramesh of this forum. It is a good pair for the price of about 25K. But could not listen to RTi A5 yet.

I've owned the 9.5's for a year now and have used various amps with them (denon, panasonic, onkyo & nad/Cambridge audio soon hopefully).
The speakers are really good. I've also got the Rti A8 and compared to those the sounds not as full but the sound stage & stereo separation is amazing. I usually listen to them with the sub and they sound great. I use them exclusively for music.
Can anyone suggest a good stereo amp for them? Nad/ca/Arcam?

I would seriously consider the wharfie over the polk... its a little more refined on the mids... The polk is more of a home theatre kind of speaker... does effects very well. The wharfedale is a more musical speaker.

Why dont you try a Marantz amp with your Wharfs? Many members on the forum seem to find the pairing good.

I also want to know Which is better for Denon 2309.
Polk RTi A7 or Wharfedale Diamond 9.6 or If any one have any other suggesions.
I auditioned Polk RTi A5,A7 and KEF iQ5,iQ9 . KEF was supperb in clarity but it had lack of Punching sound for mid low frequencies without subwoofer. But Polk RTi A7 was nicely handeling mid low frequencies. Just want to know do we have better option then Polk RTi A7 in 50-55K ?(Should be able go give good bass without subwoofer)

Polk Rti A7 are good speakers but they also need good power to really push to its limit, this is due to the fact that it has twin 7" low end drivers in it, 2309 will be ok if you listen to medium to low volume levels but it will run out of steam if you push the volume up. Also it depends on your room size too, if its on the largish side then your amplifier will have to work harder to get the desired SPL.

Polk Rti A7 are good speakers but they also need good power to really push to its limit, this is due to the fact that it has twin 7" low end drivers in it, 2309 will be ok if you listen to medium to low volume levels but it will run out of steam if you push the volume up. Also it depends on your room size too, if its on the largish side then your amplifier will have to work harder to get the desired SPL.

@OP , apologies for going off topic.

@Ashish , Who is lakozy contact in bangalore ?

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back