Polk Speaker combination for Denon 1610 - Suggestions?

Akbglr

For setting up a HT, was browsing through ProFX site y'day, jotted down some speaker combos & prices , as listed below.
I will be setting this up in my 15X12 room.

Denon 1610 (A/V R)
+
POLK Speakers , detailed below.

Front Speakers
TSi 200 - 150 W, 2-Way 3 Speaker Bass Reflex Bookshelf speakers
150W
Rs.15000

OR

TSi 100 - 100 W, 2-Way 3 Speaker Bass Reflex Bookshelf speakers
100W
Rs.11000

+

Surround Speakers :
OWM 3
2-Way 2 Speaker Surround/Satellite
Rs.11000

+

Sub-Woofer :
PSW 110
200 W, 10 Front Firing Downward Ported Type
Rs.13000

+

Center Channel - Not sure which one to go for.. a cheap speaker but one that gives good mid-range output would be ideal, Any suggestions?
Rs.10000 (Estimate)

Total Est : Rs.62K - 66K

Is this an OK config or is it something that can be tweaked to bring down costs? As in, I have read that the Denon-1610 is a 75W output, but the speakers I've mentioned above is a 150W one.. etc etc - which leaves a lot of room between amp & speaker power. Are there speakers that will sound good as a Polk at a lower power... ?

I am new to these HT/Speaker/AVR arena... Any input from you guys would be of help.

I would like to recommend you Sonodyne HT package... Sonodyne FS Not a 3 way, but 2 Way Sonus 2504 (should be anywhere 15 - 20K), Center channel (5K), Dipole surrounds (9K). They will defenetly be much better choice.. For the subwoofer i recommend Sonodyne SLF200A. (23K) with reomte. It is really very good. No other sub in this price comes close to its performance.

So Max 60K, you can bargain more if you buying all of them. You will have a killer system. I believe Sonodyne listening room is there in Forum mall.. Do take an audition and decide it...

I would like to recommend you Sonodyne HT package... Sonodyne FS Not a 3 way, but 2 Way Sonus 2504 (should be anywhere 15 - 20K), Center channel (5K), Dipole surrounds (9K). They will defenetly be much better choice.. For the subwoofer i recommend Sonodyne SLF200A. (23K) with reomte. It is really very good. No other sub in this price comes close to its performance.

So Max 60K, you can bargain more if you buying all of them. You will have a killer system. I believe Sonodyne listening room is there in Forum mall.. Do take an audition and decide it...

Thank you Elangoas! I will check this one out..
How about Sonodyne after sales support? Are they good?

akbglr ,

Firstly do not start new thread for every question .. Yes it does take people to respond and we need to have some patience.... Second dont worry about after sales service for speaker package look for AVR (After sale service). And decide your budget , your interest of listening , your room size type of setup (2.0 or 5.1 / 7.1) then start auditioning the brands that fit your requirements. Your ears are the best judge.

Please post all your detail requirements in one single thread.

Kittu.

akbglr ,

Firstly do not start new thread for every question .. Yes it does take people to respond and we need to have some patience.... Second dont worry about after sales service for speaker package look for AVR (After sale service). And decide your budget , your interest of listening , your room size type of setup (2.0 or 5.1 / 7.1) then start auditioning the brands that fit your requirements. Your ears are the best judge.

Please post all your detail requirements in one single thread.

Kittu.

I thought I should post this query under Speakers category, hence the new thread. I get your point, will keep that in mind.

And also, thanks for your suggestions. :)

the Denon-1610 is a 75W output, but the speakers I've mentioned above is a 150W one

I read a lot of very informative threads on HFV about why you should always consider buying an amp or AVR of higher wattage than your speakers. When you try driving your "higher" wattage speakers at high volumes and with heavy bass and treble, it can cause what experts refer to as "clipping", causing damage to speakers.

On the other hand, when a speaker that is powered lower than your Amp or AVR is driven, you extract the most of of them and will more likely damage your ears before the speakers :)

Thats what I could gather, but please search the forum for "speaker matching" before you take the plunge

I read a lot of very informative threads on HFV about why you should always consider buying an amp or AVR of higher wattage than your speakers. When you try driving your "higher" wattage speakers at high volumes and with heavy bass and treble, it can cause what experts refer to as "clipping", causing damage to speakers.

Isn't it the other way around? Speakers should be of more capacity than your amp, so that the speaker can take the amp's full load.

what are you looking for .. stereo music or for Home theatre? whats the movie /music ratio ?

Multi-purpose. Movie:Music will be 40:60... I am looking for a system that will be a treat musically as well as while watching a movie....
I will visit Sonodyne @ Forum this weekend to check it out. Heard from a sound engineer/music director friend that Sonodyne speakers are super VFM.

All, FYI.

Sonodyne showroom has shifted from Forum.. just a heads-up, so that you dont travel all the way to Forum to know the shop has shifted.

They are at Jayanagar now.

I took an audition of the speaker config mentioned below with a Denon 1910 amp.

Cost around 85K with Denon 1911.

Polk
TSI-300 FS
TSI-100 Surround L&R
CS-10 Center
PSW-110 SW

Tried below combinations -
A) FS + surrounds alone,
B) (A) with Sub-Woofer
C) (A) without Subwoofer.

What my ears sensed, the output from (A) combination - FS, Surround and the Center was good, though slightly higher on the mids.

The Subwoofer, for me, was a let-down. The FS+Surrounds sounded booming even without a sub. The sub sounded too tight (I prefer the lows to be more defined). . Played a sound track that I know has a real thumping bass, but I could not feel that 'real punch' even with the sub vol driven up 7/10. The showroom guys says it is because of the carpeted floor.. Any thoughts friends?

This has led me to think of Sonodyne Sonus speaker.
A Hifi'er in our forums had suggested to check out those speakers. Unfortunately, Sonodyne Bangalore does not have a listening room setup yet (they shifted from Forum Mall). All they can do is give me a demo of their Sonus FS + Roar SW. They cant demo a full HT setup as yet.

- Is Polk or Sonodyne a better speaker, in terms of sound and VFM? (I know the term 'better' is not fair, but I need to figure out. Polks are the first speakers I have auditioned)
- Does dipolar speakers (Sonodyne) have an edge over regular surround speakers?
- Sub-Woofer : Please help - Polk/Sonodyne/some other brand which I am not aware of.
- Does bi-amping on 1911 really help? I am juggling between 1611/1911. It is not the budget that is a constraint. Just that I dont want to make awrong selection of items.

Requesting inputs from experts out here.

Regards.

I took an audition of the speaker config mentioned below with a Denon 1910 amp.

Cost around 85K with Denon 1911.

Polk
TSI-300 FS
TSI-100 Surround L&R
CS-10 Center
PSW-110 SW

Tried below combinations -
A) FS + surrounds alone,
B) (A) with Sub-Woofer
C) (A) without Subwoofer.

What my ears sensed, the output from (A) combination - FS, Surround and the Center was good, though slightly higher on the mids.

The Subwoofer, for me, was a let-down. The FS+Surrounds sounded booming even without a sub. The sub sounded too tight (I prefer the lows to be more defined). . Played a sound track that I know has a real thumping bass, but I could not feel that 'real punch' even with the sub vol driven up 7/10. The showroom guys says it is because of the carpeted floor.. Any thoughts friends?

This has led me to think of Sonodyne Sonus speaker.
A Hifi'er in our forums had suggested to check out those speakers. Unfortunately, Sonodyne Bangalore does not have a listening room setup yet (they shifted from Forum Mall). All they can do is give me a demo of their Sonus FS + Roar SW. They cant demo a full HT setup as yet.

- Is Polk or Sonodyne a better speaker, in terms of sound and VFM? (I know the term 'better' is not fair, but I need to figure out. Polks are the first speakers I have auditioned)
- Does dipolar speakers (Sonodyne) have an edge over regular surround speakers?
- Sub-Woofer : Please help - Polk/Sonodyne/some other brand which I am not aware of.
- Does bi-amping on 1911 really help? I am juggling between 1611/1911. It is not the budget that is a constraint. Just that I dont want to make awrong selection of items.

Requesting inputs from experts out here.

Regards.

Hoping to get responses on my queries.
Wrt Sonodyne, there is a constraint on getting a demo of a full HT (I can get a demo of only the Sonus FS). Would like to hear from those who have heard & used Sonodyne, whether I should take a blind jump for Sonodyne speakers..?

Isn't it the other way around? Speakers should be of more capacity than your amp, so that the speaker can take the amp's full load.

Hi Akbglr,

Well! Its a very interesting topic. What I figured out after some really exhaustive searching was that its really OK to keep the AMP rated higher than the speakers, as you will be able to extract the best out of the latter.

On the other hand, an amp that is rated considerably lower than a speaker may result in "clipping" , resulting in damage to your tweeters.

The logic I deciphered is, with an amp of higher rating, you will almost always NOT have to increase the volume beyond the 10 'o' clock setting :)

cheers,
pannags

Hi Akbglr,

Well! Its a very interesting topic. What I figured out after some really exhaustive searching was that its really OK to keep the AMP rated higher than the speakers, as you will be able to extract the best out of the latter.

On the other hand, an amp that is rated considerably lower than a speaker may result in "clipping" , resulting in damage to your tweeters.

The logic I deciphered is, with an amp of higher rating, you will almost always NOT have to increase the volume beyond the 10 'o' clock setting :)

cheers,
pannags

Thank you for the clarification Pannags.

I would recommend the Polk Audio RTi series speakers.If you are looking for bookshelves then go for the RTi A3 they will blow away the sonodynes, wharfedales out of the water anytime.
Rti A7 Flrstnders are also very powerful with good mids & solid bass.The CSi A6 centre speaker is too good.The surrounds could be FXi A4 or A6.
The above speakers are good for both HT & Stereo music.I would highly recommed them!

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back