POLK TSX 440T or TSX 550T or RTi A7 or KEF Q500 or Q700

If its between Q500 & Q700 then consider the following factors:

1) Room size ( < 200 Sq Ft Q500, for bigger area Q700 will be better as far as 2.0 setup is concerned)
2) Damping factor of Amp at 20Hz (Q700 behaves well with highly damped amp output stage, reason being the two ABRs)
3) Sound stage (Q700 has a bigger sound stage)

Hi All,

I finally auditioned the below speakers for an hour & below are my conclusion:-

Polk 550T:-
The vocals thin effect is very less.....far good than the 440T. Typically good for music which has prominent highs like dance, trance, hip- hop....where you do not might want to hear the voice clearly...voice reproduction is slightly on the brighter side better than 440T...This will soften as time goes by but still will not able reach the level of speakers made for the vocals...

Polk RTi A7:-
I found the thinning effect far more prominent here....very similar to 440T but with bass. I do not really stand impressed over the vocals.

Q500:-
WOW..I had no words for this little beast...the vocals were like perfect, thick and rich...absolutely the right speakers I was looking for...bass & treble were in the right mix audible & enjoyable

Q700 Not available but need to check on this soon.

For me it is between Q500 Vs Q700.....not that Polk is bad it is meant for a different genre or different set of audience...I still consider them for surround speakers and center for the clarity they produce.....

hi danish,
you auditioned @ profx only?

Polk 550T:-
.voice reproduction is slightly on the brighter side better than 440T...This will soften as time goes by but still will not able reach the level of speakers made for the vocals...

Polk RTi A7:-
I found the thinning effect far more prominent here....very similar to 440T but with bass. I do not really stand impressed over the vocals.

These are quite similar to what I felt when I heard the entry level 330T. I think it is there across entry to mid to higher end models.

check with
1) hifilinks, opp to international stadium.
2) xenex, international stadium 1st floor.
3) thomsun, pathadipalam. they had jamo, pioneer, yamaha.
4) lulu

I don't have any affiliation with them. Early i don't know these places exist.
From this forum i know these shops and brands. I'm sharing what i gained from here. Share your experience later, if possible and give proper advise to others.
I had seen after getting help , some (not ALL) finish purchases. But later, they don't bother to help others for the same. They may sign in here only if they need advise on other items. I'm not talking philosophy, but the fact.

audition with your music as possible.(also don't get confused).

Thanks All for the feedback---
I decided for the KEF Q series - Q500 + Q200 + Q100 + Q400. (he said I can upgrade to Q700 after audioning it )
Since the dealer didnt have the peices right away and that he would be delivering the speakers after 7 to 15 days.......
meanwhile he gave me the Polks series (TSX 550 + TSx 100 + TSX250 + PWS 110) to use it for now, until i get my Kef puppies...

Whats the price you got from profx? I hope you dont have a problem with sharing that. Nonetheless wishing you congo for the new purchase hope your setup gets up and running in the coming few days. You can do a brief comparison now between the polks and kef once you get your setup done. :clapping::)

The overall package is 1.55 lac. I could not just let it away from my mind....I had heard some vocals like yesudas & piono how effortlessly great it was sounding as low, medium & high volumes ...the C series is way too sharp...I believe I will use this for next 5 years or more...:)

I decided for the KEF Q series - Q500 + Q200 + Q100 + Q400. (he said I can upgrade to Q700 after audioning it )
Since the dealer didnt have the peices right away and that he would be delivering the speakers after 7 to 15 days.......
meanwhile he gave me the Polks series (TSX 550 + TSx 100 + TSX250 + PWS 110) to use it for now, until i get my Kef puppies...

Great gesture by the dealer in letting u have the Polks till you receive the KEFs :clapping:

The dealer is gr8 and he is doing because of polk is always available. KEF is in the waiting list....there are still folks who are yet to get the speakers who booked last month.....

I have set up the Denon X1100 with the Polk's and these were the display pieces and are pretty. I had to make some changes to make the speakers sound warm :-

1. Brought down the treble to soften the sound.
2. Tried playing the Flacs through the Denon USB port and found the songs are still bright. I am now using DNLA to stream the flacs to AVR and getting good I am getting Flat reponse...my laptop is decoding the flac and sending wav response to the AVR through Wifi.

Overall Polks are very good in clarity and separation. All the instruments etc are crystal clear. Below are the songs I am enjoying right now.
1. Beautiful -Malayalam
2. Pazhassi Raja - Malayalam
3. Jim Reeves Hits collection

congrats danish.. update when you receive kef. Happy vishu in advance.
regards
girish:)

I went in 5 hours straight and my ears are paining...may be polks have gr8 break in...I am managing with lower volumes .......

Nice Deal. Enjoy

i finall got to hear the Q700..what a difference in the vocals? THe polks have opened up a lot..the mids are smooth but still thin with some room for improvement.

The moment I heard the Q700.. I heard only two songs fully (both having immense vocals & bass) and I knew I was going to put my hard earned money on this one. The UniQ array had no change in sound as I moved my location wrt to the speakers... I was hearing to a piece which was brand new...I was wondering how smooth it will sound once it opens up.....I would be getting all my KEFS tomorrow...so it is KEF Q700, Q400b, Q200c & Q100s...bye bye polks not bad at all...just for the love of vocals.

After reading the forums, I was told that bi-amping the Q700 woudl really help....
I woudl be trying that out..looks like bi-amping opens up the sound a lot as the passive drivers woudl be driven the LF, by the reciever instead of the circuitry within the speakers......

Keep you posted....

Last edited:
Hi All,

I got all my Kef puppies today...Did testing on 5.1 movies and songs.....Here are the observation below :-

1. UniQ Array:- very impressed with the uniform sound from front & rear...I changed the positions on the sofa & had no difference in the sound....this is so amazing...KEF really want to thank you for this miraculous idea....

2. The highs are not hurting anymore but rather very normal. The vocals are pretty forward. I feel the singers are standing just in front of me. The lively nature of the speakers are really amazing. The vocals are thick and airy.

3. Compared to the polk, the bass handling is amazing I am able to hear lower frequency very clearly...rumble are excellent it very neutral not tight or too bassy either....

Above are the prime differences I found...I am playing the flacs directly from AVR. My blu ray can also play but found AVR quality slightly better....

After enjoying the sound quality, I am really sad that I got the KEFs so late in my life......I have audio technical 900x...which are pretty much the same forward on vocals.......keep you posted on the findings

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back