Polk vs Wharfes - Denon vs yamaha - for My first [Budget] HT Setup ?

Hi All,

After a bit of auditioning the decision has boiled down finally between Polks and Wharfedales ? [Nothing new for a budget HT enthusiast:D]. I am open to options other than these but not interested in overseas shipping and stuff.

Spk package budget :- 30-35k
AVR budget :- 20-25k

Sound preference :- good mid range detail, dialogue clarity , 90% usage movies, sweet bass [do not like earth shattering bass]

Spk Setup 1 :-

Diamond 9.1
9.CS
Polk psw110
Surrounds :- Later

Spk Setup 2 :-

Tsi 300
cs10
psw110

The main question is AVR - 1612 vs Yamaha rx-v471 ?
Auddyssey vs YPAO :) as auto calibration ability is one i consider prime in deciding AVR. I have all wooden interior on one wall in my bedroom and no rattling windows :) .The acoustic correction relies heavily on my avr :)

I want a setup wherein i can watch a movie at a decent volume with all remotes aside and my avr/speakers should take care of handling the volume ups during loud scenes :)

P.S :- I will be using the above HT setup with my pana 42V20D at an approx viewing distance of 12 ft.

Reviews and comments welcome :)
cheers

I would go with denon 1612 anyday for the receiver and then demo the speakers with it. I would prefer the wharfs over polk but that is a personal choice. You should demo both and then decide.

12ft distance is even good for a 50inch............but I am happy on your choice. V20 is the best panasonic 2D tv in the market, you will love it!!!

all the best!!!

I would go with denon 1612 anyday for the receiver and then demo the speakers with it. I would prefer the wharfs over polk but that is a personal choice. You should demo both and then decide.

12ft distance is even good for a 50inch............but I am happy on your choice. V20 is the best panasonic 2D tv in the market, you will love it!!!

all the best!!!

Thanks aakashr :)

I already have the v20d . I have loved it every bit since den.
Its just that now i want to marry it to a good HT to take the experience to new level :)

Kindly share experience/opinion with purchsing recievers from SOUNDAVENUE mumbai ?
They sell US make with Converter? Worth option to consider ?

AFAIK at soundavenue.in, the prices are excluding step down transformers.
I learnt that the cheapo transformers may fail to deliver at peak loads.
There is a risk of damaging the equipment if that fails.
Moreover there is no local warranty for these products, if I am not wrong.

Also, they have listed Denon 1611 at Rs. 23,000 but 1612 is not seen.
Even 1611 is available on pre ordering only so it would take atleast 10-14 days for delivery.

So summing it up, it does not make much sense to go with that route. Warranty + a good transformer is worth more than what we calculate. So it is better to buy locally from an authorised shop and have peace. You can get Denon 1612 or Yamaha 471 for around Rs. 25k.

hmmm seems a bit of hassle.

Except for step down is there any other known issue with a reciever bought from states ?

Also i would like to know how yammy pairs with polks ? Anybody auditioned the new xx71 series with pols pref tsi ?

hmmm seems a bit of hassle.

Except for step down is there any other known issue with a reciever bought from states ?

Also i would like to know how yammy pairs with polks ? Anybody auditioned the new xx71 series with pols pref tsi ?

Hi, for receivers please stick with denon or marantz. demo the speakers you are interested in with the receivers.

Hi All,

After a bit of auditioning the decision has boiled down finally between Polks and Wharfedales ? [Nothing new for a budget HT enthusiast:D]. I am open to options other than these but not interested in overseas shipping and stuff.

Spk package budget :- 30-35k
AVR budget :- 20-25k

Sound preference :- good mid range detail, dialogue clarity , 90% usage movies, sweet bass [do not like earth shattering bass]

Spk Setup 1 :-

Diamond 9.1
9.CS
Polk psw110

Spk Setup 2 :-

Tsi 300
cs10
psw110

The main question is AVR - 1612 vs Yamaha rx-v471 ?
Auddyssey vs YPAO :) as auto calibration ability is one i consider prime in deciding AVR. I have all wooden interior on one wall in my bedroom and no rattling windows :) .The acoustic correction relies heavily on my avr :)

I want a setup wherein i can watch a movie at a decent volume with all remotes aside and my avr/speakers should take care of handling the volume ups during loud scenes :)

P.S :- I will be using the above HT setup with my pana 42V20D at an approx viewing distance of 12 ft.

Reviews and comments welcome :)
cheers

go for yamaha 5 series (571) with wharfedale 9.5 floor stander. do an audition of them even if you don't pefer them

go for yamaha 5 series (571) with wharfedale 9.5 floor stander. do an audition of them even if you don't pefer them

I did audition 9.5 FS with marantz i must say it sounded really good but at slightly higher volumes...at low/mid volumes the effects were not so precise and it costs 30k upwards and i am kind of tight on budget front :)

However i am waiting for MAV's detailed review i really liked the specs of the pioneers and the system has got some rave review in the budget audiophile range ...

Pioneers are on my list now :):cool::yahoo:

Last edited:
I do not know why Polk is always under rated, I think most of people who has not even auditioned Polk but speak against it. I would go for Polk. They are neutral sounding, but very sweet, engaging & detailed, brilliant vocals, u will like to hear all your music collection once again.

I do not know why Polk is always under rated, I think most of people who has not even auditioned Polk but speak against it. I would go for Polk. They are neutral sounding, but very sweet, engaging & detailed, brilliant vocals, u will like to hear all your music collection once again.

Your ear is the best judge on what you like, if you are going to buy a consumer driven system like SONY, you can go by other's advice blindly. where as if you want to buy a professional brand like yamaha or Onkyo etc., you have to put a considerable effort in zeroing what you prefer.

If budget is a constraint, not a problem, get a good amp with a pair of good front and in future you can add the rest OR get a HT in box pack(with USB) with zone 2 option (like Onkyo 3400) which also comes with a speaker package, in that in future you can replace the frontA speaker with a floor stander and use the old frontA speaker as zone 2 or frontB speaker. i got a Onkyo 609 with jamo HCS 102 package, I bought a wharfedale 9.6 and replaced the fronts in the above way and today I'm much more satisfied.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by srisaikat
[\Quote]

+1 to srisaikat

I am also a polk fan. I started hearing minute details after switching to polk and watched many movies again as I was experiencing them better. Polk RTi series is among the best in that price range.

My advice to you is to go slowly on this and assemble yourself a good setup rather than looking for an upgrade soon.

The best approach to your setup should be an AVR which could be a Denon or Yamaha depending on your preference and budget and then marry them with a pair of good Bookshelf speakers at this point on time and later once you have accumulated enough funds then you could buy the matching center channel, surrounds along with the Subwoofer. This approach with defenitely cost more but will give you long term Sonic Satisfaction in both Music and Movies.

Building step by step is the recommended option if there is a budget constraint.

Ensure that the AVR bought is having enough power to drive the shortlisted floor standers which will be added later. Otherwise you will end up upgrading the AVR as well

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back