Polk vs Wharfes - Denon vs yamaha - for My first [Budget] HT Setup ?

ny2j

Hi All,

After a bit of auditioning the decision has boiled down finally between Polks and Wharfedales ? [Nothing new for a budget HT enthusiast:D]. I am open to options other than these but not interested in overseas shipping and stuff.

Spk package budget :- 30-35k
AVR budget :- 20-25k

Sound preference :- good mid range detail, dialogue clarity , 90% usage movies, sweet bass [do not like earth shattering bass]

Spk Setup 1 :-

Diamond 9.1
9.CS
Polk psw110
Surrounds :- Later

Spk Setup 2 :-

Tsi 300
cs10
psw110
Surrounds :- Later

The main question is AVR - 1612 vs Yamaha rx-v471 ?
Auddyssey vs YPAO :) as auto calibration ability is one i consider prime in deciding AVR. I have all wooden interior on one wall in my bedroom and no rattling windows :) .The acoustic correction relies heavily on my avr :)

I want a setup wherein i can watch a movie at a decent volume with all remotes aside and my avr/speakers should take care of handling the volume ups during loud scenes :)

P.S :- I will be using the above HT setup with my pana 42V20D at an approx viewing distance of 12 ft.

Reviews and comments welcome :)
cheers

Options for my AVR were Denon 1612 and Yamaha 471. After studying the features of both I selected Denon 1612. Some options I liked in Denon are: Audessey Auto setup, can be upgraded to 7.1, supports DTS HDMA compared to the DTS HD support in yamaha. Price wise both are almost same. Better take a demo and decide.

Since you watch more movies, the PSW110 sub is good, which otherwise is not ok for music.

Denon 1612 vs Yamaha 471 is a tough choice. You must audition both to decide. Denon owners will recommend Denon and same with Yamaha owners. FYKI, 471 does decode DTS-HD.

If possible go for Wharf 9.2 for the fronts.

Last edited:
Options for my AVR were Denon 1612 and Yamaha 471. After studying the features of both I selected Denon 1612. Some options I liked in Denon are: Audessey Auto setup, can be upgraded to 7.1, supports DTS HDMA compared to the DTS HD support in yamaha. Price wise both are almost same. Better take a demo and decide.

Right ! That is a fair insight. I am also more incline to Denon as of now :) though Yammy is an equally competitive option.

At a showroom in Mumbai, I was offered Rs. 20k for 1612 while 471 was not available for anything less than Rs. 24.5k

Thats crazy pricing for 1612. here in Delhi / NCR 1312 comes for 19k+ :)
PM me dealer details Asap. My friend is coming on 9 Nov from Mumbai i ll ask him to carry that :)

Yeah Diamond 9.2 is good in bass as far as i have read.
Since i am buying a sub straighaway i think for mids and highs 9.1 will be enough what say experts ?

The biggest problem is auditioning Yammy with Diamonds.....
I cannot find a place where both are on Demo as yammy dominantly sells only at Yamaha Square :(

Santy, I have doubts about the denon 1612 pricing. The MRP of denon is appx 30K, where as it is 28K for yamaha. I got an offer of 27.5K, for denon and 26K for yamaha. Are you sure it is denon 1612 and not 1312? If you are getting 1612 for 20K, then there should be some problems like warranty etc.

About the DTS HD problem I mentioned, please ignore it. Yamaha 471 supports dts hdma as verified by santy.

For movies both combinations should sound similar. Compare the musicality between the two by hooking up your favourite audio CD to both combinations, and then decide.

Have given a go to Wharfedale obsidion? Good 5.0 pkg. The fronts have 8inch side firing bass drivers.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

For movies both combinations should sound similar. Compare the musicality between the two by hooking up your favourite audio CD to both combinations, and then decide.

Hmmm....i think Polk suites movies better and Diamond is more musical.
But i think POLK with YAMAHA will make a bright combination.

I have not come acroos sombody who has paired new yamaha series with POLKS.

Have given a go to Wharfedale obsidion? Good 5.0 pkg. The fronts have 8inch side firing bass drivers.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

Ummm....in that budget i will prefer a POLK/Diamond series system with subwoofer :)

Not many reviews on Obsidian but all i could gather is "Not Recommended"

I myself am looking for a similar configuration and am in the same dilemma.

The other thing is that i found a deal on amazon:
Denon AVR2112CI Integrated Network A/V Surround Receiver and Polk Audio 5.1 TL1600 Speaker System for 800$, which is approx INR 40k.

I have a friend of mine coming down from US this december, but the AVR+SPeaker will be very bulky and the weight will be a problem.

Anybody has an idea as to how can this equipment be carried from US to India. If it can be done at a cheap price ad without customs, then this is an incredible deal.

Customs duty exemption will be possible if we claim it as a gift. The value of the item sould be less than 10K inr. In this case, it cant be done since the complete package is approx 50k

We get customs duty for even a 500gm 2K blu-ray disks whether you mark it as gift or not. There is no chance of avoiding customs duty for such large items.

baiju,
I think shopyourworld manages to do that. marking items as gift for ones below 10k. Myself and a fellow member was able to benefit from that when we ordered the CB-5 pair which weighed 8kg and was 7.2k sometime back.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back