Poor Headphone frequency spectrum in LCD TVs

Vivek Rao

Hi guys,

A few months ago I bought a Sony EX300 32" LCD. Since I am used to watching movies using the headphone output of my old TV (Sony Wega) I tried this also with the new LDC. Guess what - its just terrible - quite "Tinny".:mad:

I guess the LCD guys reduce the frequency range of the output to accommodate the LCD's tiny speakers. I guess the amp's output is routed through the headphone circuitry leading to the reduced frequency range. Its sad that they do not feed the raw signal to a separate headphone amp.

I have tried out the menu options but to no avail.

I do not connect to the headphone outputs any longer. Does anybody else have the same problem? And naturally any solutions other than going in for an external headphone amp/headphone output of external surround amp.

Does this TV has audio out?

In most TVs, there would be an option to select "Monitor Out" for audio out. In that case, TV does not apply any modifications to sound.

You can buy an adapter to connect headphone plug to audio out RCS jacks.

Well it should have a Monitor out but the output will be even less then the headphone out.

This issue is about frequency response not loudness. if TV has monitor out, signals wont pass through processing stages.

Guys, Am already using the monitor out of the TV to connect to to a chordless AKG headphone. This sounds great. However when I and my wife together want to enjoy a movie starts the problem (kid sleeping hence...). One of us is forced to plug into the TV headphone socket and it sucks.

There are ways around this - to split the monitor out and use a separate amplifier or a AV system. However it is all a pain. When we pay so much money for our LCDs and Plasmas wonder why we get conned like this by so called reputed cos. like Sony.:mad:

to split the monitor out and use a separate amplifier or a AV system. However it is all a pain. When we pay so much money for our LCDs and Plasmas wonder why we get conned like this by so called reputed cos. like Sony.:mad:

Monitor out in 2 W, so it has enough power to drive two headphones. You just need a splitter.

For my 32LD650 i transfer headphone out to my Integrated Amplifier (Sonodyne), but even on volume range of 50 -55 (max is 60) i was not getting proper sound. I can not try monitor out as LD650 does have only digital out.

Guys, Am already using the monitor out of the TV to connect to to a chordless AKG headphone. This sounds great. However when I and my wife together want to enjoy a movie starts the problem (kid sleeping hence...). One of us is forced to plug into the TV headphone socket and it sucks.

There are ways around this - to split the monitor out and use a separate amplifier or a AV system. However it is all a pain. When we pay so much money for our LCDs and Plasmas wonder why we get conned like this by so called reputed cos. like Sony.:mad:

Vivek, i think you are expecting too much from a LCD TV. Just because we pay so much money on a LCD, it cannot perform like an headphone amp. Will it? Its a dedicated display device dude. Headphone is just an addition. And you are already happy with one headphone. Adding another might share the power. Or the out you are connecting might just be a pre-out, which means it needs amplification, a headphone amp.

I have a 60ohms Headphone. I was not happy with it when using with my PC's on-board sound solution. Then i got the ASUS Xonar Essence STX Headphone Amp Sound Card. This card can go up to 600ohms. I use it at <64ohms setting and its amazing. Hope you understand :)

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back