Poor Man's Home theatre

PAVAN KADAM

Guys, i dont want anybody jumping in laughter over my present setup.

I have a simple set-up since i am not any good at the kind of setup this forum showcases.:eek:

10 yrs ago and even today i love music, and love to hear it with that kind of effect i get in a theatre, So i go ahead and buy myself a Akai Home Theatre unit, that goes with the 29" Akai television.

I've been using this set-up and have been more or less happy but not satisfied by its functionality. Recently 3 yrs ago when i re-stored my house, i dedicated my First floor living room with specific speaker placement points rather than drawing wires all around it.

I hear OK music, but nothing as what i want it to be. Willl put pics soon.

All i want from you guys is...?

1) Weather i dump this set-up ? is there any chance of upgrading the same.

or

2) Kindly suggest me a better one -- mind it i will not want to spend too much once immediately, would love upgrading one by one.

Pavan, welcome to HFV. What counts is the passion and not the equipment/budget, enjooy your time on HFV.

Mention your budget (short and long term), which will help the gurus out here to suggest options.

Thats great news buddy. Glad to know you are considering taking the plunge:)

Like George said, all of us start with modest setups.

There is no point upgrading the Akai Home Theatre. Even I had one and it nothing but a stereo signal that is split across 5 speakers and a subwoofer. For a real multichannel experience (5.1, 6.1,7.1, 8.2 etc) you will need a AV Receiver which can decode the multichannel input, divide, amplify and supply to your set of speakers.

OT: Pavan is an automobile enthusiast and we know each other through an automobile forum. He restores classic cars as a hobby. He has a fantastic ICE in his Tata Safari - MBQUART, Sony, LCD Screens et all. So folks, don't be misled by the title Poor Man's Home Theatre....lol.

I remember the Akai Home Theatre. They went totally bonkers with the marketing but it so turned out to be just a stereo speaker system & a good sounding one too.

You will have to dump the setup. The Akai system in not a real 5.1 Theatre system & you cannot upgrade it.

I suggest a mid range Home Theatre in a Box solution or HTiB. This solution is affordable & there are nice sounding systems from LG, Samsung & Philips. HTiB's are easy to install & use. Expenditure will be around Rs. 25K for a slightly higher spec 5.1 HTiB.

I am not a fan of Sony HTiB solutions.

Is your room empty? if it is empty it will sound horrible, try to place some bass traps and sound absorbers at the first reflection points or try to fill your room with things which will kill sound reflection. by doing this it will definately improve the sound quality from same system. even a high end system sounds poor in room without any special treatment.

Thats great news buddy. Glad to know you are considering taking the plunge:)

Like George said, all of us start with modest setups.

There is no point upgrading the Akai Home Theatre. Even I had one and it nothing but a stereo signal that is split across 5 speakers and a subwoofer. For a real multichannel experience (5.1, 6.1,7.1, 8.2 etc) you will need a AV Receiver which can decode the multichannel input, divide, amplify and supply to your set of speakers.

OT: Pavan is an automobile enthusiast and we know each other through an automobile forum. He restores classic cars as a hobby. He has a fantastic ICE in his Tata Safari - MBQUART, Sony, LCD Screens et all. So folks, don't be misled by the title Poor Man's Home Theatre....lol.

:sad: O K, really sad that i cannot upgrade the existing set-up.

Anyways, not too late to begin with.

You very well know about me and cars, somehow i feel even if i spend half the money that went in the Safari, i'll be able to manage a decent 5.1 set-up.

Anyways i'am hiring you as a consultant for my project. Thank you
+:eek:hyeah:

I remember the Akai Home Theatre. They went totally bonkers with the marketing but it so turned out to be just a stereo speaker system & a good sounding one too.

You will have to dump the setup. The Akai system in not a real 5.1 Theatre system & you cannot upgrade it.

I suggest a mid range Home Theatre in a Box solution or HTiB. This solution is affordable & there are nice sounding systems from LG, Samsung & Philips. HTiB's are easy to install & use. Expenditure will be around Rs. 25K for a slightly higher spec 5.1 HTiB.

I am not a fan of Sony HTiB solutions.

Now seriously thinking of starting this set-up, thanks

Is your room empty? if it is empty it will sound horrible, try to place some bass traps and sound absorbers at the first reflection points or try to fill your room with things which will kill sound reflection. by doing this it will definately improve the sound quality from same system. even a high end system sounds poor in room without any special treatment.

The room on the first floor,sized about 25 ft by 22 ft,dedicated only for a home theatre set-up. And mostly having lot of breathing open spaces all over.

Just for you some pics...

Attachments

• DSC09632.jpg
    DSC09632.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 145
  • DSC09633.jpg
    DSC09633.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 137
  • DSC09634.jpg
    DSC09634.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 137
  • DSC09635.jpg
    DSC09635.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 137
  • DSC09636.jpg
    DSC09636.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:
Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back