Poor picture quality in Tata Sky Plus on LCD TV

naripeddi

Hi, I purchased Tata Sky Plus with great expectation that the picture quality will be crystal clear on my Panasonic 32" HD Ready 100 HZ TV. The picture turned out to be very patchy for almost all the channels. Some of the channels look as if they are being played from a VCD. I complained to the Tata Sky Customer Service, an engineer came and gave the typical answer: "on LCD TVs, the picture quality will be like that only. The picture quality will be very good on CRT-based TVs". I cursed that technician at his ignorance. He even checked the signal strenght and said it is at FULL STRENGTH. I am using Component inputs. There is no HDMI Output from Tata Sky. Please help if anything can be done about it. The DVDs played from my progressive scan DVD Player (part of the 5.1 Home Theatre system) are displaying very good (if not perfect). Audio output from Tata Sky Plus is very good as I am using Digital Optical output.

I am using TATA SKY with my Sony 32 inch Bravia and most of the time I think how I wasted my money buying that BRAVIA to watch highly compressed video delivered by TATA SKY.

If you speak of quality than none of the DTH Operator provides quality Video till now and there claim of "DVD Quality Image" is 100% false.

Still waiting for HD DTH Services to start in India.

Deba, thanks for the reply.

It is a huge disappointment for me from TataSky Plus. I guess same is the case with all other DTH operators.

I am also thinking, if we can improve the picture quality little bit by using a better costly component cables, as opposed to using the ones given by Tata Sky. I heard Tata Sky gives Component cables that are worth barely Rs 40-50.

I guess SunDirect has started the HD Service very recently.

This is the case with standard definition even in the US. I think there is no option but to wait until HD becomes more mainstream and affordable.

George

Hi:

I do think the LCD is also to blame for the poor picture. I just don't like the SD pictures from any LCD for that matter. You just can't go wrong with TS+ through component cables.

:)

This is the case with standard definition even in the US. I think there is no option but to wait until HD becomes more mainstream and affordable.
George

Can we, by any chance, improve the picture quality by using more expensive Component cables, than what is provided by Tata Sky?

Deba, thanks for the reply.

It is a huge disappointment for me from TataSky Plus. I guess same is the case with all other DTH operators.

I am also thinking, if we can improve the picture quality little bit by using a better costly component cables, as opposed to using the ones given by Tata Sky. I heard Tata Sky gives Component cables that are worth barely Rs 40-50.

I guess SunDirect has started the HD Service very recently.
Component cable will not improve quality alone. And there is absolutely no requirement to buy costly cables. They will not improve quality.

Component out provides output at 480i, 480p, 720i, 720p and 1080i. Since all DTH providers except Sun HD (and that too for some limited channels) provide SD quality only, the source input to TV is restricted to 480i.

Hi:

I do think the LCD is also to blame for the poor picture. I just don't like the SD pictures from any LCD for that matter. You just can't go wrong with TS+ through component cables.

:)

This could be true because the picture was largely better on my earlier CRT-based TV (22").

Component cable will not improve quality alone. And there is absolutely no requirement to buy costly cables. They will not improve quality.

Component out provides output at 480i, 480p, 720i, 720p and 1080i. Since all DTH providers except Sun HD (and that too for some limited channels) provide SD quality only, the source input to TV is restricted to 480i.

Agreed. When I connected TSky+ to the Panasonic LCD TV, I remember the TV telling me that it is receiving 576i input from TSky+. But I need to double-check if it was 480i or 576i.

Could be that my DVD Player (which is progressive) is outputting 576i to the TV. I need to double-check.

All, I will try and take screenshots of how the TSky+ picture looks on my TV and post in this forum. There are all sorts of problems from a patchy picture to bad-looking letters.

First and foremost, set your picture to 4:3 and leave the black bars on either side intact. Stretching the 4:3 Tata Sky + signal to fit your 16:9 HDTV will distort everything and make everything look way too soft and blurry...

Use a good Component Cable and calibrate your Contrast, Brightness and colour carefully.

Tata Sky + picture if watched in the above way looks better on LCD than on CRT... it will not be DVD quality, but it will be very watchable.

I hope you people are aware of the difference between analog and digital televisions and also the difference between 4:3 and 16:9 display formats.

The DTH and SD broadcasts are optimised for 4:3 analog TVs (period). When these signals are viewed on 16:9 digital TVs (LCDs/Plasmas), there are two types of conversions happening.

1) Approximation of the analog signal to digital signal. The signal loses lot of sharpness in the process. This could happen either in the STB or in your TV and one can be marginally better than other but neither could approach the sharpness and contrast of viewing the same sinal in a 4:3 TV (CRT).

2) Conversion of 4:3 to 16:9. Again, this might take place in either the TV or STB but both are going to strech the picture. When this is applied over an already bad digital approximation, the result is disastrious as we see in out sets.

Costly cables cannot improve the picture. The output is only as good as the input!!

The DVDs and Divx are digital by nature and look much better in a HD TV.

To explain better, 480p is NOT BAD. Original DVD which are 480p are excellent in the HD TVs. It is the COMPRESSION which spoils the picture. If TV channels are transmitted uncomprressed, the effect will be much better.

DVD quality is much better than the usual 700mb divx rips downloaded from the net. But even these 700mb divx rips look much much better than the DTH transmissions.

If I have to give a number, I assume a whole movie is compressed to ~100mb before transmitted over the DTH (as opposed to 700mb divx) to warrent such ugly picture.

To put it to comparison,
Original DVD = ~4GB
Divx Rips = ~700Mb
DTH transmission = ~100MB

I am saddened that even after paying a fortune for the DTH and seeing huge amount of advertisements, we get a mere 100mb quality (for 1.5Hrs) of picture!! The DTH operators should really have extra balls to advertise it as DVD quality..

Guys,
I too have a tata sky + and am using this along with 10 year old 29 inch Sony 100 hz TV for sometime now. After seeing the poor quality with conventional component connections I have opted for S video output connections. This has given me a wonderful improvement in video quality. I urge all of you to try this.

There is no other way but to wait for HD services to start and drop its price in our country, but I think one has to wait for another 2 years approx. to get AFFORDABLE HD broadcast and blu ray discs.

hi naripeddi, no need to post your screenshots, we know what it's like :), it's the fault of tata sky for compressing the images severely. This crap is all that you can expect. It's not that LCDs or plasmas have a problem handling SD, if you look at how they handle DVDs, you can see that they can make SD pictures look lovely. The fault is squarely that of tata sky.

The DTH operators should really have extra balls to advertise it as DVD quality..

Maybe they should be reported to the Advertising Standards Council of India for false advertising! The ASCI recently put notices in newspapers requesting citizens to report any ads that misled or misrepresented their products or services...

Boasting "DVD quality" is bad enough, but when they claim "CD quality" for audio, that's even worse... often TV channels have their stereo audio squashed, then mixed down to mono before transmission, so the left & right audio channels are identical - identically horrible, that is!

First and foremost, set your picture to 4:3 and leave the black bars on either side intact. Stretching the 4:3 Tata Sky + signal to fit your 16:9 HDTV will distort everything and make everything look way too soft and blurry...

Use a good Component Cable and calibrate your Contrast, Brightness and colour carefully.

Tata Sky + picture if watched in the aboou, will t looks better on LCD than on CRT... it will not be DVD quality, but it will be very watchable.

Thank you, will try that...

hi naripeddi, no need to post your screenshots, we know what it's like :), it's the fault of tata sky for compressing the images severely. This crap is all that you can expect. It's not that LCDs or plasmas have a problem handling SD, if you look at how they handle DVDs, you can see that they can make SD pictures look lovely. The fault is squarely that of tata sky.

Very true...and the Customer Service engineer bluntly states that this is what we get...no possibility of improvement.

Hi,

Is your telly a new one? The reason i am asking is Tatasky looked bad on my PV8
in the initial stages.But after some weeks of the TV running the picture quality has improved greatly.Now i am getting as close a picture i used get with my CRT.
If your TV is new give it some more time.

cheers,
sri

I hope you people are aware of the difference between analog and digital televisions and also the difference between 4:3 and 16:9 display formats.

The DTH and SD broadcasts are optimised for 4:3 analog TVs (period). When these signals are viewed on 16:9 digital TVs (LCDs/Plasmas), there are two types of conversions happening.

1) Approximation of the analog signal to digital signal. The signal loses lot of sharpness in the process. This could happen either in the STB or in your TV and one can be marginally better than other but neither could approach the sharpness and contrast of viewing the same sinal in a 4:3 TV (CRT).

2) Conversion of 4:3 to 16:9. Again, this might take place in either the TV or STB but both are going to strech the picture. When this is applied over an already bad digital approximation, the result is disastrious as we see in out sets.

Costly cables cannot improve the picture. The output is only as good as the input!!

The DVDs and Divx are digital by nature and look much better in a HD TV.

To explain better, 480p is NOT BAD. Original DVD which are 480p are excellent in the HD TVs. It is the COMPRESSION which spoils the picture. If TV channels are transmitted uncomprressed, the effect will be much better.

DVD quality is much better than the usual 700mb divx rips downloaded from the net. But even these 700mb divx rips look much much better than the DTH transmissions.

If I have to give a number, I assume a whole movie is compressed to ~100mb before transmitted over the DTH (as opposed to 700mb divx) to warrent such ugly picture.

To put it to comparison,
Original DVD = ~4GB
Divx Rips = ~700Mb
DTH transmission = ~100MB

I am saddened that even after paying a fortune for the DTH and seeing huge amount of advertisements, we get a mere 100mb quality (for 1.5Hrs) of picture!! The DTH operators should really have extra balls to advertise it as DVD quality..

So, we, in India, are in a pethetic situation where DTH looks better on CRT-based TVs using 4:3 than the expensive LCD TVs with 16:9. It's a shame.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back