Popping noise from my HT Receiver?

bullitt

I bought a Yamaha home theatre RXV561 receiver. Everything is installed properly (sorta no brainer) HDMI Cables Digital Coax/Optical hook ups. My problem is while watching a show we get the ocassional pop sound coming from the receiver. Sounds almost like a static charge pop or similiar to when you turn a receiver off and you get a click/poping sound. I have the receiver plugged into a sound bar (not sure if that matters.) I have had the receiver replaced but the second one is still doing this. All speakers are confirmed and double checked hooked up correctly. When I play the tuner I cannot hear a pop could be because the music is louder than when on DTV. Mind you I have turned down the volume and cannot hear it, the wife does. Anyone here of this type of problem? Doesn't bother me that much but for some reason the wife cannot stand it. Help anyone.

Could I be getting an electrical interference from something? My friend said the wires may not be shielded? How can you tell? I bought name brand wires cand cables?

Last edited:
Popping from the receiver itself or through the speakers?

Also put down the model nos. for all your components.

I bought a Yamaha home theatre RXV561 receiver. Everything is installed properly (sorta no brainer) HDMI Cables Digital Coax/Optical hook ups. My problem is while watching a show we get the ocassional pop sound coming from the receiver. Sounds almost like a static charge pop or similiar to when you turn a receiver off and you get a click/poping sound. I have the receiver plugged into a sound bar (not sure if that matters.) I have had the receiver replaced but the second one is still doing this. All speakers are confirmed and double checked hooked up correctly. When I play the tuner I cannot hear a pop could be because the music is louder than when on DTV. Mind you I have turned down the volume and cannot hear it, the wife does. Anyone here of this type of problem? Doesn't bother me that much but for some reason the wife cannot stand it. Help anyone.

Could I be getting an electrical interference from something? My friend said the wires may not be shielded? How can you tell? I bought name brand wires cand cables?

The popping is coming from the receiver Yamaha RX V561, The speakers are Boston Accoustic the TV is 50" Panasonic Viera Plasma with an LG DVD/DVD Recorder and Rogers HD Digital Cable box. I have another site that stated my power cord should be replaced right away. I need a Surge protection and Line conditioner. I haven't traced what else is on the circuit the outlet I'm using for my home theatre but looks like my best try right now.

Bullitt, have you made sure that your earthing circuit is complete and grounded properly. To me it looks as if there is a static charge being built up and released regularly.

One of the easiest ways to find out is to have a good neighbour. Take the amp and just one speaker, run it for a little while and see what happens. If you don't hear the popping noise, the fault lies in the electrical circuit. If the noise repeats there also, there is something incorrect in one of your units.

You can even pull a long power cable from your neighbour's house.

Cheers

Last edited:
Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back