Portable headphone amplifier

Long long ago so long ago, I remember I asked the same question here. Still struggling to get a portable headphone amp.

I bought one of these: NEW! FIIO E5 HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER AMP 3.5mm EARPHONE MP3 - eBay (item 330319961848 end time Jul-04-09 06:18:47 PDT)

Came through in a couple of weeks. Works quite well: neutral sound - no exaggeration of bass etc, improves the SQ at low volumes as well by bringing out the details.

Jai,
so how much did it cost you to get it shipped from us to india?
I am also looking at buying the e5 soon.:)
Which player and headphones do you use by the way?

hi, unleash was talking about me. I don't have any headphone amp with me. I have a Fii0 , but its not working because the battery I used started leaking. Anyway, you need to get the amps to be shipped or mostly get it through somebody coming back to India. Neverthless, whats the budget you are looking at and what are you going to pair it with.
By the way, regarding Fii0 I need to differ from the opinion mentioned above, I would definitely not say its neutral. Its far from neutral. The bass is boosted a lot. However, I really enjoy its sound when I am not listening it critically. A very strong recommendation for its price and size, but mostly for fun.

Bought it off ebay. Cost $20 incl shipping. The link I posted is from a reliable seller (the same one I used). The only issue is that you need a paypal account to pay for it.

I use a 5th gen Ipod with mostly lossless files. Use a pair of panasonic headphones (found them to be better than the cheaper sennheisers).

The main problem is I don't have a cc,did you pay any import duty or something. If you find someone selling it here pls text me.

By the way, regarding Fii0 I need to differ from the opinion mentioned above, I would definitely not say its neutral. Its far from neutral. The bass is boosted a lot.

@gopi
The one I have (E5 - current version with Li-ion battery), has a bass switch. If you leave it at off, the bass isn't boosted. I think the previous version (E-3) came without the switch and had an in-built boost. Some details of both versions here: [Pictorial + Impression] FiiO E5 *Sample vs. Final Product* - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio

I'm not a great fan of bass heavy sound and bass neutrality is something I specifically look for (the main reason I dont like the 1-3k sennheiser headphones is the fact that they boost bass).

@kangarooman

I didnt pay any duty. Its a low value item and they usually don't bother with stuff this small.

Can you get it for me, I'll pay you by demand draft or cheque. I don't have a credit card to make online payments.

The FIIO E3 was supposed to have some hiss issues. Is that resolved? how clean is the sound?

Jai, thats interesting info. So you say that the seller on ebay shipped it you for 20$ inclusive of shipping to india? :yahoo:
That means I just have to get someone I know with a credit card to order it for me!
Thanks! I plan to use it with grado sr60 and cowon d2.

The FIIO E3 was supposed to have some hiss issues. Is that resolved? how clean is the sound?

Haven't noticed anything, even with the sennheiser in-ear phones, which are more sensitive than the larger Panasonic headphones.

@kangarooman
Happy to order one on your behalf if you are in Mumbai and are willing to pick it up from my office/house (both in Powai). Dont want to get into the hassle of shipping etc.

@ iaudio
I think the price was actually a bit lower - worked out to around $20 incl $3 for shipping insurance

jai, if thats the case my bad. I had E5 myself infact still have one. Don't remember the boost switch. Let me check today. By the way, it costs about Rs.350 in Singapore. Infact I got one free when I bought my headphones there.
But I would recommend this only if you are looking for something cheap. If your budget allows then there are definitely other options.

psychotropic, I would think you wont need an amp for Grado SR60. They are very easy to drive and are mostly used without an amp. I can expect it for SR80 . So, unless you want to just have fun and experiment I would not recommend you purchasing a Fii0 for it.

hey gopi i think you meant that for iaudio!

psychotropic, I would think you wont need an amp for Grado SR60. They are very easy to drive and are mostly used without an amp. I can expect it for SR80 . So, unless you want to just have fun and experiment I would not recommend you purchasing a Fii0 for it.

and jai, which in ear phones are you using the E5 with? and what is its rated impedance ?

They are a pair of Sennheisers. Not sure of the model number or specifications

Used the in-ear phones only for testing. Didnt make any noticeable difference with these. I think the amplifier makes sense only for phones with larger drivers.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back