Possible to use 4ohm Subwoofer on 6ohm AVR?

djanuj

Hi guys. Greetings from Mumbai. I have a small doubt which i need help in resolving. I found a subwoofer for my car which has 1800w, 420w RMS & 4ohm impedance. My subwoofer which i am currently using at home has some issue. So is it possible to use the above car subwoofer for my Home Theatre setup? I have denon avr x1500h and has 6ohms impedance.

AVR Specs are as follows

Number of Poweramps 7
Power Output (8 ohm, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 0.08% 2ch Drive) 80 W
Power Output (6 ohm, 1 kHz, 0.7% 2ch Drive) 120 W
Power Output (6 ohm, 1 kHz, 1% 1ch Drive) 145 W
Power Output (6 ohm, 1 kHz, 10% 1ch Drive) NA

Subwoofer Specs :
EFFECTIVE FREQUENCY RANGE 32-1000 Hz
OUTPUT SOUND PRESSURE 86±2 dB / 1 W / 1 m
PEAK POWER 1800 W
RATED POWER 300 W
RMS POWER, CEA 2031 420 W

Do you think it will work? I was told that Subwoofer impedance should be higher than Amplifier's impedance otherwise the amp will get spoilt.

Please help. Thanks.

It is very much possible to connect a subwoofer with the AVR but not at all advisable and so not recommendable. That 420W is a lot of power that AVR won't be able to output. That Denon AVR is also a lower end model which means even lower power output as compared to higher end models.

IMO it would even struggle somewhat to power a 100W speaker rated at 4ohm at moderate to higher volume.

Hi,

There is no way you can connect a Passive Car Subwoofer to your receiver. Your receiver like most other receivers has Sub Pre Outs, which needs to be connected to an Active Subwoofer (subwoofer with an amplifier) or to an external Power Amplifier which in turn will drive your passive subwoofer.

Which is your current Subwoofer and what is the issue with it?

MaSh

Hi guys. Greetings from Mumbai. I have a small doubt which i need help in resolving. I found a subwoofer for my car which has 1800w, 420w RMS & 4ohm impedance. My subwoofer which i am currently using at home has some issue. So is it possible to use the above car subwoofer for my Home Theatre setup? I have denon avr x1500h and has 6ohms impedance.

AVR Specs are as follows

Number of Poweramps 7

Subwoofer Specs :
PEAK POWER 1800 W
RATED POWER 300 W

Do you think it will work? I was told that Subwoofer impedance should be higher than Amplifier's impedance otherwise the amp will get spoilt.

Please help. Thanks.
I believe X1500H doesn't support Passive Subwoofer. So, I am afraid you can't hook your Passive car Subwoofer to your Denon AVR. X1500H has two Subwoofer pre-outs for Active Subwoofer.

AVR Specs are as follows

Number of Poweramps 7

Subwoofer Specs :
PEAK POWER 1800 W
RATED POWER 300 W

Please help. Thanks.
Hi,

There is no way you can connect a Passive Car Subwoofer to your receiver. Your receiver like most other receivers has Sub Pre Outs, which needs to be connected to an Active Subwoofer (subwoofer with an amplifier) or to an external Power Amplifier which in turn will drive your passive subwoofer.

MaSh
Most AVRs don't support passive subs. You could have hooked up the sub to a power amplifier, somthing like the crown XLS, in which you can set a low pass filter but the x1500h does not have pre-outs.

Hi,

MaSh
I am currently using Z5500 Subwoofer. Have been using it for past 3 years without issue. But last month started getting distorted noise. Even though subwoofer was repaired with new foam etc. but still facing the issues so was planning to replace the sub and put my older one in the car.

Link to my current sub issue : https://www.hifivision.com/threads/some-issue-with-my-z5500-subwoofer.83957

Last edited:
you could consider buying a separate amp for the sub & connect the sub to that amp. then connect your avr's sub out to that sub amp.

i came across these when i was looking for some sub amps for another purpose

note : i haven't used either so don't know how well they work personally

there were some diy amplifier kits too in case you have diy skills

AVR Specs are as follows

Number of Poweramps 7

Subwoofer Specs :
PEAK POWER 1800 W
RATED POWER 300 W

Please help. Thanks.
You must have car amplifier also. So you can buy 500watt SMPS and connect it to that car amp. Give avr preout to car amp input and connect car amp to sub. thts it. It will shake your room.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back