Possible tripath audiophile amp in Rs1000

Ebay kit : MKll Tripath TA2024 fully finished&tested pcb 2x15watt - eBay (item 260524457062 end time Jan-14-10 21:35:39 PST)

just $13.99 (all incl shipping!) = <700/--Rs

Add 150/- transformer + Cabinet...
Has a set of good audio grade capacitors (AUDIOPHILER,i think)

There are many mods you can do all in diyA forums.

Kaushik, I admire your never ending enthusiasm and search for interesting diy hi fi and most are very much vfm!
These are from China and ship worldwide, what other components to be sourced and where?
But isnt 15wpc is a bit low?

@Kaushik - Thanks, If you come across LM3886 gainclone kits with preamp or power regulator built in Ready Module kindly tell me. Have searched all eBays with no luck some are DIY some are bare amps some are just boards.
@Iaudio - The Guy is also selling 25 W version and is funny too. see what he has put up in description :)

What you need to use this amplifier:
- a Tripath TA2020 PCB ( duh...)
- a pair of speakers
- some patience ( but not too much )

Last edited:
iAudio,
see the other kit 25w PC ...
one more is LEPAI tripath(ebay),you can mod it to get the best out of it .. people change cap,resi ,power supply..just that naked Tripathchip and china pcb remains hehe :),finally .

these are tiny amps should do well as desktop set or bedside system . For small rooms they will do good.

There are 100w/pc amps but making then needs some effort good toroidals,heatsinks.. not recommended for
newbies.Getting big enclosure also is a problem.

anm,
what is the chance of our speakers getting fried?
very less unless you connect transformer to them directly !! No one will do that i guess.;)

hitensitapara,
PM me ... hehe :) i will give you schematic for a very good reg kit for gainclone..it will do much better that that
default power supply,also will not cost much...

If you plan of your own I can help you building those regulators..you have to do shopping of your own.

have you heard the Lepai? My friend and I just ordered one for a lark. Will post comments once we hear it.

iAudio,
see the other kit 25w PC ...
one more is LEPAI tripath(ebay),you can mod it to get the best out of it .. people change cap,resi ,power supply..just that naked Tripathchip and china pcb remains hehe :),finally .

these are tiny amps should do well as desktop set or bedside system . For small rooms they will do good.

There are 100w/pc amps but making then needs some effort good toroidals,heatsinks.. not recommended for
newbies.Getting big enclosure also is a problem.

anm,
very less unless you connect transformer to them directly !! No one will do that i guess.;)

hitensitapara,
PM me ... hehe :) i will give you schematic for a very good reg kit for gainclone..it will do much better that that
default power supply,also will not cost much...

If you plan of your own I can help you building those regulators..you have to do shopping of your own.

@keith ~ Thanks. yes Gigaworks kit looks good
@kaushik ~ Let me look some more, then will PM you. Reason being some kits on ebay are ready modules with good quality components (which may not be available locally, (already looked for LM3886 at few shops at lamington they dont have it) have downloaded/read about Mauro Penasa, Pedja Rodjik, Peter Daniel kits/literature (my Dec'09 internet bill is already 3K, would have got a kit for that amount :D) So lets see...
Thanks
Hiten

ebay kit you can take ,this regulator will sit in between.. between that capacitor board and Amp boards.
dont worry for the parts i will give links...anyways i am not selling it or the parts ,just in case you decide someday..i can help.

I picked up one of these: GAINCLONE LM4765 30W Stereo Power Amplifier KIT - eBay (item 120512635399 end time Jan-04-10 05:51:53 PST)

Cost around Rs.650. Ironically the transformer cost double what the kit did. Will be building it sometime in March (hopefully). In case someone is interested in this and in too much of a hurry to order it, they can pick it up from me at cost (this is one of 5 DIY projects on my plate and the lowest priority one).

I've also tried the Lepai T-Amp. Its not really as clean as the other tripath amps I've tried. The TA2024/TA2020 chipsets only give about 8-10w of clean power. They sound brilliant in small rooms and with high sensitivity speakers. Cant be substituted for even a 50wpc amp driving moderately insensitive speakers though.

Hi Jai,
When will you be receiving this kit ? Which are the other five projects ?

this is probably a stupid question, but let me ask anyways. Is there a way for a tripath amp like the Lepai to be better/more powerful if provided with a beefier power supply? and what would constitute beefier? a higher current rating? a high er voltage rating?

I've also tried the Lepai T-Amp. Its not really as clean as the other tripath amps I've tried. The TA2024/TA2020 chipsets only give about 8-10w of clean power. They sound brilliant in small rooms and with high sensitivity speakers. Cant be substituted for even a 50wpc amp driving moderately insensitive speakers though.

I already have the kit. The traffo arrived today (had ordered for the projects together).

The others are:
TA2020 based amplifier (using a regulated, switching power supply)
10w Class A dual mono power amplifier
Goldmund design based preamp
BPA150 (lm3886 x 3) based monoblocks

Other long term projects: Firstwatt F5 (got the PCBs from Sudhir on the forum), Mosfet based dual mono power amp (POOGE 2 MOSFET Power Amplifier Kit (Mono)_Integrated Amplifier_Analog Metric - DIY Audio Kit - got them at half the price off ebay, have the amp kits but no power supply)

@ Kaushik ~ Oh you mean power regulator schematic/kit. Yes some kit I saw were with power regulator.
GAINCLONE LM4765 30W Stereo Power Amplifier KIT on eBay (end time 05-Jan-10 17:15:20 GMT)
Dont know if they are good, I am totally ignorant about these things. will definately need your help.
Thanks
Hiten

That is a card with power section built in no special regulator.

i have a different recipe, probably itz not there in ebay..take your time,itz like a upgrade mod on the simple amp kit.

this is probably a stupid question, but let me ask anyways. Is there a way for a tripath amp like the Lepai to be better/more powerful if provided with a beefier power supply? and what would constitute beefier? a higher current rating? a high er voltage rating?

They are supposed to sound better with a regulated power supply and their best with battery power - basically the cleaner the power, the better it is supposed to sound (I havent tried this and am basing this on what I've read). The voltage is limited by the chip (the TA2020 gets fried if you go above 13.5v, lower for the TA2024). The current throughput is also limited - usually 3A is more than enough.

The power supply issues are common to most T-Amps. With the Lepai, the problem is more to do with its messy design (the tone controls and a low quality op amp in the input ciruit). From what I read on DIYAudio, its possible to bypass these with a bit of soldering. However, parts selection on the rest of the amp isnt particularly good either so you would need to change a few additional components to get the chip's full potential. I was planning on doing this but finally decided to just build a new one based on one of Arjen's kits from ebay (same seller as the link in the first post of the thread)

Finally got and listened to the Lepai. I'm very impressed. I haven't heard it with my Ushers yet. The amp is with my friend in Bangalore. Listened to a Jamo 406 floorstander pair with it. It's normally powered by an Onkyo 304 receiver. The one thing I can certainly say is that it's much much better than the Onkyo. It drove the floorstanders to comfortable listening levels before distorting audibly. The soundstage and detail were superb. The sound had a lot of 'air' and the dynamic range was very impressive for such a low power amp. By the end of the month I'll get to try it out with my Ushers in my small room, which maybe a more friendly environment for the little Lepai.

Either way, for a 1000 bucks, there's no audio gear that I've seen that is better value.

Finally got and listened to the Lepai. I'm very impressed. I haven't heard it with my Ushers yet. The amp is with my friend in Bangalore. Listened to a Jamo 406 floorstander pair with it. It's normally powered by an Onkyo 304 receiver. The one thing I can certainly say is that it's much much better than the Onkyo. It drove the floorstanders to comfortable listening levels before distorting audibly. The soundstage and detail were superb. The sound had a lot of 'air' and the dynamic range was very impressive for such a low power amp. By the end of the month I'll get to try it out with my Ushers in my small room, which maybe a more friendly environment for the little Lepai.

Either way, for a 1000 bucks, there's no audio gear that I've seen that is better value.

That is a unmodded Lepai i think even then it looks good enough ,so what we hear in other forums is true .These small tripaths amps are real VFM .
With a good power supply and mods it will be surely liked by audiophiles.

Psycho thank you for the update, i am happy to become more sure ,it will make a budget audiophile system possible.

Hey Psych, did your friend buy it as a CBU or a DIY kit?

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back