power amp for avr fronts

himadri

hi all
has anyone used a power amp to power the front channels of the avr. i would like to know if so, then what power amp was used. im looking for a power amp to drive the front channels of denon 4308 to drive the power hungry snellc7s(four ohms speakers).

hi all
has anyone used a power amp to power the front channels of the avr. i would like to know if so, then what power amp was used. im looking for a power amp to drive the front channels of denon 4308 to drive the power hungry snellc7s(four ohms speakers).

I am Using a power amp in my case to power the front speakers where I am using Onkyo Nr 905 as the pre amp and Sonodyne SPA 202 as the power amp.
Whats your budget for power amp?

Parasound, Adcom, Emotiva and Marantz monoblocks are some well-rated power amps that I've seen people use. They are US based companies, so shipping will be an issue. You can get used components for quite cheap on eBay or audiogon if you're willing to be patient. As asked by someone before, what's your budget?

thanks ashish and ajinkya
well the budget is around 50k-60k. i know it may sound silly as compared to the prices of denon 4308 and snell c7s , but thats a constraint at present. well emotiva, adcom , are tough to procure in india. marantz monoblocks of earlier models are not in production except for the reference series which are expensive.how about rotel rb1080? anyone used them for powering fronts?

Well, Parasound distributor in India operates out of Bombay or Pune (can't remember exactly). Had an e-mail exchange with them over their Halo range 2-channel pre and power amps. They told me they would ship anywhere in India.

Regards.

Yes you can use Rotel Rb 1080 to power your fronts but this model is discontinued and if you try to find it in the 2nd Hand Market then you could end up with a good deal. Mind you that rotel needs 1.5 V at the pre out level and your Denon would be able to give maximum of 1V so they might mismatch, as in the case of Subhash who has a 875 Onkyo and uses Vincent power amp to power his fronts. For more details on this discussion look at this thread: http://www.hifivision.com/surround-...r875-reasons-875-go-into-protection-mode.html

Adcom is also available in Indian through a dealer in Chennai. Another power can you can look at is NAD. That is also available in India.

Cheers

You may look at Parsound and NAD. Both will fit in your budget. Please audition before you purchase. You may also look into the used market. I bought NAD from the used market and I am very satisfied with the same.
The person from whom I purchased my NAD had a similar power amp NAD 214 to sell. If you want I can provide you with the number.

But, please ensure about the matching and stuff as I don't have any knowledge of Snell.

Cheers.

vincent SP331MK power amp with onkyo 875 to power the jamo C809 L/R, recently upgraded to it from the vincent SP331 power amp

hi all

A power amplifier does not amplify an AVR, instead it takes the signal from the AVR and amplifies it before sending it to the speakers. If you are using an AVR

You could amplify one or more channels at a time. Typically if the speakers are not very efficient people tend to amplify the front L/R channels and leave the rest connected to the AVR.

Seeing you are using 4 ohm speakers, I suggest to definitely use amps for the front 2/3 channels. In this case you need to look at stereo amplifiers

Get an Emotiva power amp. Definitely value for money.
Think they only sell direct. You could import from their US website

The emotiva products look very impressive , is anybody using any of thier products

the pre/processor looks very good

thanks asit venkat subhash anooj marsilians et all
i checked the rotel and denon manuals. though the rotel indicates 1.5 volts as input power but the reciever manuals do not indicate clearly the preamp output voltage. the emotiva xpa2 manual indicates input impedance rca as 23.5 k ohms but not the voltage. any idea whethr the emotiva matches with the denon 4308? shall be grateful for some insight into this.
himadri

i checked the rotel and denon manuals. though the rotel indicates 1.5 volts as input power but the reciever manuals do not indicate clearly the preamp output voltage. the emotiva xpa2 manual indicates input impedance rca as 23.5 k ohms but not the voltage. any idea whethr the emotiva matches with the denon 4308? shall be grateful for some insight into this.
himadri

Emotiva also recommends pre pros higher rating but it will work fine with the denon, i am presently using it with yamaha rx-v661

himadri

All Emo power amps XPA and LPA models should match the Denon. Hoping you are using for a HT setup as those monster amps are great for HT purposes. I would not use them for music though as they are a bit too bright.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back