Power and pre amplifier matching

shibuchristy

Normally have an idea of same brands power and pre gives better combination than any other, what could be the matching factors??. Input sensitivity/current??!

Normally have an idea of same brands power and pre gives better combination than any other, what could be the matching factors??. Input sensitivity/current??!
input and output impedance of source and amplifier needs to be matched. Typically output impedance of a pre-amp will be couple of hundred ohms and input impedance of power amplifier will be near 100K ohms.

input and output impedance of source and amplifier needs to be matched. Typically output impedance of a pre-amp will be couple of hundred ohms and input impedance of power amplifier will be near 100K ohms.
Thank you very much

I definitely agree with it ...it is all in maths !!..
But is there anything related to the tonal balance...for example some amps are having soft tone, some are more emerging kind ...may be I am little deviating from the topic, but would be great if anyone can share their experiences in this regard..thanks

You can't talk about things like tonal balance unless you look at the system as a whole. IMO, power amplifiers should be able to reflect any changes you do upstream. But it will boil down to what the rest of the system is.

You can't talk about things like tonal balance unless you look at the system as a whole. IMO, power amplifiers should be able to reflect any changes you do upstream. But it will boil down to what the rest of the system is.

i have checked these using same source...and cables. Amplifier plays in the main role in coloring tones , basically pre amp.
sometimes you may like or accidentally get into a combination where tones and power matches our speakers or our likes!
Our tastes and ears amd the type of music we basically listen to , are the main factors .

Some months back I had an oscillating experience.
I was listening to a high-end Rockna DAC with inbuilt hifidelity preamp (which was defeatable) in a friend's place.
The company recommendation was not to use an external pre though.

He had two preamps, both top of the in the brands chains. While with one the overall stage improved, with the other one the sound quality actually deteriorated.

So it is very hard to pinpoint.

If you preamp purpose is to just add multiple inputs and have an analogue volume control in the chain, the best is to look out is for a pre that is reviewed as totally transparent.
If you are looking for character from the pre, then it is going to be a challenge to match.

Some months back I had an oscillating experience.
I was listening to a high-end Rockna DAC with inbuilt hifidelity preamp (which was defeatable) in a friend's place.
The company recommendation was not to use an external pre though.

He had two preamps, both top of the in the brands chains. While with one the overall stage improved, with the other one the sound quality actually deteriorated.

So it is very hard to pinpoint.

If you preamp purpose is to just add multiple inputs and have an analogue volume control in the chain, the best is to look out is for a pre that is reviewed as totally transparent.
If you are looking for character from the pre, then it is going to be a challenge to match.

Challenge!..that is where the unending journey goes...thank you all ...

Evaluating a stereo only Pre-Power Combo other than Emotiva and Rotel.
Are there brands that offer analog inputs only preamp with tone controls ?
1)I do not want to use a integrated amp with preout and a power amp combo.
2)Also prefer to have the same brand pre and power amp.
3)No tubes

Thanks.Saga is tubed based ...so ruled out for me.Sys is last option as it has no tone controls.Would Loki work with Vidar ?
Sys is a passive preamp. Not very impressive.
What is the rest of your system? Loki is tone control only.
Why are tone controls so important; these have almost gone the way of the dodo.
Cheers,
Raghu

Sys is a passive preamp. Not very impressive.
What is the rest of your system? Loki is tone control only.
Why are tone controls so important; these have almost gone the way of the dodo.
Cheers,
Raghu
Yes .Iam old school and prefer tone controls.
My source is a iPad to dragonfly or arcam BT to amp to Xavian
I am mostly BT user.I know it has all the drawbacks....but I can live with that.Its convenience that matters to me at this time
My existing amps are up to the job but i do see a sound upgrade with a dedicated power amp.Else I would just go the diy way.

+1 for tone controls. It is an effective way to tame lows and highs.
Also, analog only pre/pwr combos or IAs are void of any digital noise.
But, products these days do a good job of containing digital noise.
If your source is iPad, why not just use digital EQ or tone controls.
Cheers,
Raghu

+1 for tone controls. It is an effective way to tame lows and highs.
Also, analog only pre/pwr combos or IAs are void of any digital noise.
But, products these days do a good job of containing digital noise.
If your source is iPad, why not just use digital EQ or tone controls.
Cheers,
Raghu
I have considered what you suggested.ipad to BT rx or DAC to power amp.....it's just the convenience of preamp....could be more due to habit.
In that case it's only a power amp...is that correct

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back