• Hello and Welcome to HiFiVision.com - an online community for the home entertainment and tech enthusiasts!

If you would like to ask a question, participate in a discussion and view attachments please Register yourself.

Power cables for source equipment

Audiolab 6000CDT Dedicated CD Transport

Hari Iyer

Shielding speaker cables don't benefit much as the termination itself is a very low impedance device ( speakers). Shielded cables work better for interconnects as input impedance are typically around 100kohms.

For power cables the transformer primary itself will be in 5 to 6 Henries range. So ño RF/ EMI noise can get through that. But due to core saturation any eddy current involved it can be a source for EMI radiation. I have noticed just potting the transformer with a tin and grounding the tin enclosure reduced EMI noise in my phono preamp.

SPONSORED ADS

SPONSORED ADS

arj

Staff member
p
Imo EMI radiation from transformer will be more than through a power cable. I am not sure how a power cable be a source of noise radiation. It can be a victim of noise but not source of noise I think.
not sure i said source..antennae means it receives it right ?

Dev.R

I use a basic Isotek power conditioner. it does the trick , the background is much cleaner now and the hi freq has become more live. My power cables are Cardas, PS Audio and Supra. I never heard any difference when i used the power cables alone. Introducing a power conditioner made a huge difference.

superczar

Adding on to what Hari said.

Speakers are low impedance devices simply reproducing the amplitude coming in through the cables. Any interference/noise introduced via external sources at this end would make a near zero difference - If quality is proportional to price, one would need speakers worth 20 million INR or more to be able to spot a difference. What would however make a clear difference is any extra impedance that the wire would add.
For all practical purposes, 14AWG copper wire for a 10 feet run is as good as your amp hooked direct to your speakers.

As for the power cables, your amp or Avr wouldn't mind even a regular braided wire feeding it the 220V because as Hari said, the transformer inside presents an impenetrable barrier for EMI/RF gremlins!

Most discernible noise/ loss of any quality occurs either due to faulty ground loops or bad interconnects.
The quality of the speakers, the DAC (if using a digital source) and Amp (and of course the source) are almost infinitely more important than power cables (or any of the other cables in the setup) as long as a certain minimum standard has been followed for the wiring .
Any extra money spent towards this would yield far better returns if spent on your active components instead

SPONSORED ADS