Power, Network, Connection, Which one matters the most to you?

preston8452

Hi guys,

When it comes to sound quality, I've realized there're freaking many factors could affect it, some say the DAC is the paramount thing to be taken care of; some say the speakers are the real crucial part, given that you hear all the sounds from them, there's no certain right or wrong here I'd say, after all, " Sound Quality " is absolutely subjective...

I'd like to know which section would you invest more? cuz I read that some power cables are more expensive than speakers, I was pretty impressed by that though, I'm sure the know-how must be real high-class, or some people even rearrange the wire management in the households, or even spend tons of money on router or network switch!

For me, I might invest more on the " Power " part though, I mean, let's face it, all electronic gears require power signals, not just audio system, it's like bloodstream to them, so if the power source is stable & strong enough, I imagine that the high-end audio gears would have better performance(? that's why people use external linear power supply rather than a simple power adaptor hahaha.

Share your insights or your experiences below, I'd be grateful to learn, or telling me what you're looking for to upgrade your system is cool too.

Best,

Sound Quality is not subjective, personal preference of tonality is. All the usual hoo-haa about Imaging, separation, soundstage, depth etc etc is absolute, in varying degrees. What is subjective is tonality, EQ curve preference.

I like to epitomise tonality with colour. Different people like different shades of the same colour. Person A might like a darker shade of Blue, while Person B might like a lighter shade!

Power is much cleaner these days than it used to be. Modern electronic equipment come with inbuilt noise filters. IMO, there is no further need to treat power. At the most, old equipment, or noisy equipment that contain motors need to be separated from the input line you're using for audio.

I'd like to know which section would you invest more? cuz I read that some power cables are more expensive than speakers, I was pretty impressed by that though,

My biggest investment for audio will lean towards Speakers, first, always!

You were impressed that Power Cables cost more than Speakers? Amused, perhaps.

I'm sure the know-how must be real high-class

Some audio equipment manufacturers will turn to products that will make their businesses more profitable. The product may not be necessary, or beneficial. If there are buyers there is always a product to sell.
They'll shove measurements to prove the worthiness of their products, whether these measurements make an audible difference, is a whole different matter.
These companies hire wonderful copywriters, buy reviews from popular magazines (most notorious being WhatHiFi, this is my personal opinion, may or may not be true), buy reviews from popular audio channels on YouTube etc etc.

Best way to asses this would be to borrow whatever you can, and whatever you think will make a difference in your audio chain and see for yourself. Buy it if you like it. If you plan to buy a $1000 power cable, then more POWER to you!

Cheers & Peace

Last edited:
I don't understand how power (if you mean power supply) can be an issue here..... especially in context of modern electronics.

I mean it were an issue we won't be having open concerts, cinema halls etc.

Power can be addressed by the amps. Period. And modern amps are built to address almost all issues (here I mean those well engineered ones...not the mediocre ones with ground and noise issues).

Now as far as the DAC issue, modern DACS have reached the sota level. It has inbuilt features with will reduce noise and distortions below audible range. So 'dirty' power has NO MEANING for modern well engineered DACs. I mean how much audible improvements can you expect from SOTA DACS which has clean and transparent analog outputs? (The dirtiness has been cleaned by the power and electronics of the DACS itself ....hence modern DACS have low floor noise and distortions)

If an AMP or DAC needs additional power conditioner or supply, then what you paid for the amps and DACS? Throw them away and instead buy better engineered ones.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back