Power outage during record playback

Naturelover

Staff member
Friends
Just wondering if is there any chance of damage to stylus, record or any other component if there is a power outage during vinyl playback?

My Project Debut Carbon platter (quite heavy ) came to an immediate stop when there was a power outage few days back. I had the same question in mind.
Anyway stylus is fine.

I haven’t noticed any damage due to the platter stopping while the stylus is engaged with the record groove. Back in the old times, some radio RJs used to queue tracks by stopping and starting with the stylus engaged with the record groove. Haven’t come across anything that suggests that this practice causes groove or stylus damage though.

Friends
Just wondering if is there any chance of damage to stylus, record or any other component if there is a power outage during vinyl playback?
There are no possibilities of record suffering any damage if the stylus is spherical. But if the stylus is elliptical/ hyper elliptical and etc., and if the platters moves slightly backwards when it comes to stop, then record will be damaged.

There are no possibilities of record suffering any damage if the stylus is spherical. But if the stylus is elliptical/ hyper elliptical and etc., and if the platters moves slightly backwards when it comes to stop, then record will be damaged.
Platter can only move backward if TT is not balanced properly, or some issue with motor.

Regards
Sachin

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back