Power Supplies - SMPS vs linear power supply

anm

Another set of stupid questions.

I am reading around, and I read that SMPS are source for noise while linear power supplies are better, but inefficient and large.
However, my laptop charger has LPS written on it. Is it a linear power supply? It doesn't seem too large to me, and doesn't get that hot! It is 65W. There are 90W laptop power supplies available as well.

Are they actually what I understand them to be - linear power supply?
Are LPS actually better than SMPS?
Can these be used with a normal desktop mobo + devices?
Are there any other LPS available for desktops?

regards

Come on Anm- no question can ever be stupid.

SMPS have come a long way and are extremely efficient. when you are just using it in your laptop, why bother about noise. SMPS are not noisy in their operation. Just that the switching action induces EMI in devices around them.

When it comes to conventional audio using solid state electronics, yes linear power supplies are better. But when using op-amps or the latest class D chips like the tripath, it does not matter what type of PS we use

oops, by noisy I meant noise introduced in music - when taken from a comp through USB etc, not their noisy fans.

Come on Anm- no question can ever be stupid.

SMPS have come a long way and are extremely efficient. when you are just using it in your laptop, why bother about noise. SMPS are not noisy in their operation. Just that the switching action induces EMI in devices around them.

When it comes to conventional audio using solid state electronics, yes linear power supplies are better. But when using op-amps or the latest class D chips like the tripath, it does not matter what type of PS we use

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back