Pre-Amplifier upgrade

Hi Sidvee

Speak directly to Jacob at Rethms. He may not have a pre in stock for demo since it is only on special order. If he has one he can probably send it home for a trial. I guess you can specify the gain, impedance, etc you want.

Interesting to see that other people are having the same reaction to my experience with SS pre amps. vs tube pres. Here is an excerpt from a review by Andre Marc in Audio Video Revolution when comparing the Lamm ll2.1 delux to the SS Ayre K05xe (the new version of which I was considering in my original list of preamps):
"I also have recollections of the Ayre K-5xe solid state Preamplifier (approx $3500) that I had on loan last year. I remember it being hyper detailed, definitely more detailed than the Lamm, but fatiguing, and very analytical sounding. I found it difficult to listen for long periods. The Lamm, by contrast, is a music making machine. My listening periods were long, and late into the evening."
So at this point in my search the scales are heavily tilted in the favor of tube pres. and definitely towards the Lamm LL2.1 deluxe. it appears I may have to give up some resolution and detail for smoothness and non-fatiguing sound. I will be spending some time auditioning this pre.
Cheers,
Sid

Last edited:
... why not re-consider a super all-tube amp ? Something like an Audio Note, Atmasphere OTL, Lamm or CAT ?

Dr. Bass or anyone else,

If you have heard these, can you make a general comparison of the sonic signatures of a Atmasphere OTL to a Berning ZOTL?

Regards.

My Lamm ll2.1 deluxe is in. Hooked it up today and first impressions are it is a definite step up over the ARC ls26 (though both have the same retail price). Will be doing some extended listening over the next few weeks - should be very pleasurable. Had an excellent buying experience at Lamm in NY as well.
Cheers,
Sid

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back