Price for LG 50PQ30

Hello All,

My first post post to this forum though have been following all the threads since a long time.

I'm also interested in LG 50PQ30. Any comments from the seasoned videophiles here ??

My understanding is that at 50" we should be looking at Full HD, but this particular model comes at a great price. Basically how is the VFM?

Any hope that the 2009 Panasonic 46" Full HD model be available at this price ??

well LG plasma doesn't even come close to samsung plasma let alone panasonic plasma in terms of image quality and performance.
so u can buy them if u are desperate for a big size tv and don't give a dam about picture quality.
i for one will choose quality over size.

well LG plasma doesn't even come close to samsung plasma let alone panasonic plasma in terms of image quality and performance.
so u can buy them if u are desperate for a big size tv and don't give a dam about picture quality.
i for one will choose quality over size.

Well, completely agree on the 2008 models.

But since LG also would have done some homework and has come up with lower power consumption, higher contrast e.t.c., (this is their 2009 model), not many useful user reviews available online, I think theres nothing wrong in having an open mind and hoping that it would be good, if not the best ;) - atleast until someone has a feel of it.

I hav been using LG 29" Flat TV for the past 3 years and I am extremely satisfied with the PQ and other features. So I believe LG wont do anything silly to affect their reputation. However I wonder why the price is on the lower side for this particular model. It would be extremely helpful if anybody can provide a review after having a demo for this model.

Yesterday I went to have a look at this model at a LG dealer at TVM. They are saying that Plasma TVs are getting phased out these days and they will not recommend plasam TVs for house-hold use.

I could not find a single piece of plasma TV at their showroom either LG or other brands. When I told him that the price shown in the LG site is less compared to other models, he said to me that this particular model would be having problems and that is the reason why they are selling this product at such a low amount.

I was planning to buy a plasma TV since it was affordable to me. With the sales person making such comments, I am in a big dilema right now either to go with Plasma or LCD.

Are plasma TVs really going to disappear or the dealers are just trying to sale more LCD TVs?? experts please help me.

When I told him that the price shown in the LG site is less compared to other models, he said to me that this particular model would be having problems and that is the reason why they are selling this product at such a low amount.

Take such recommandations with 2 pinches of salt. Confirm from other sources. Dealers tend to lie about Models/Brands which are not available with them.

Regarding phase out yes if you see the market figures..especially
1) Supposed to best Plasma Maker pioneer willl no longer bring new Kuro series
2) Proposed ban on plasma in Europe will bring sales down
3) Brands like Sony stopped offering plasmas.

just chk all the news in the link

plasma vs lcd sales figures - Google News

still the majour manufacturers are supporting plasma -but speculation is that plasma i on its deathbed

- Related Stories - CEA SmartBrief

Gizmodo - Death of Plasma? Panasonic, LG and Samsung Defend the Technology - Plasma dead

As people pointed out here PLASMA's are going to be extinct very soon and so will the normal CRT TVs.Now coming to the question...whether I should buy a PLASMA or LCD...I should say that both have its own -Ves and +Ves(LCDs have a slight edge with resolutions and clarity/brightness)...I bought a Panasonic PV70M 50"PLASMA (I was looking for BIG SCREEN and OKEY QUALITY for lesser price) and I am very much satisfied with the quality of the pictures..Manytyms ppl complain that while in SHOWROOMS the TVs give good output but not when taken home and the main reason is that showroom guys use HD QUALITY demo inputs/sources while our normal CABLE TV and DVDs are not that HIGH QUALITY and when those images are reproduced in a bigger screen the result will be low quality output.For a normal viewer's eye the images shown on a same range LCD and PLASMA TV will look the same....so no issue in buying a PLASMA when u get it for less price provided it doesnt have any manufacturing defect.

As people pointed out here PLASMA's are going to be extinct very soon and so will the normal CRT TVs.Now coming to the question...whether I should buy a PLASMA or LCD...I should say that both have its own -Ves and +Ves(LCDs have a slight edge with resolutions and clarity/brightness)...I bought a Panasonic PV70M 50"PLASMA (I was looking for BIG SCREEN and OKEY QUALITY for lesser price) and I am very much satisfied with the quality of the pictures..Manytyms ppl complain that while in SHOWROOMS the TVs give good output but not when taken home and the main reason is that showroom guys use HD QUALITY demo inputs/sources while our normal CABLE TV and DVDs are not that HIGH QUALITY and when those images are reproduced in a bigger screen the result will be low quality output.For a normal viewer's eye the images shown on a same range LCD and PLASMA TV will look the same....so no issue in buying a PLASMA when u get it for less price provided it doesnt have any manufacturing defect.

+1 to that.

BTW dude go easy next time with bold.

I'm also thinking of going for this TV.

and to all, any TV you buy, whether LCD or Plasma, It will be discontinued after a year, so what difference does it make, when it's working fine, & basically all LCD/plasma of various size show Cable TV & divx movies, in same PQ, as it's below 720P, & it will only be upscaled, no matter you have HD ready or Full HD.

Anyone knows the latest price of this model ?

Lowest price from compareindia.com: Rs 56,750

Searches on the internet show this trend for LG plasma tv's: Hardcore reviewers don't like them much, but the buying public's perception is generally very good.

So, if you're a 'videophile,' this TV is not for you. But however if you are an normal viewer who wants the BIGGEST bang for his buck, this is it!

Public Review from youreviewelectronics.com:

LG 50PQ30 Review 50-inch Plasma HDTV
(94 votes, average: 6.61 out of 10)
LG 50PQ30 Review: 50 Plasma HDTV

Up for review: LG 50PQ30 Plasma TV. The LG 50PQ30 is a great entry level plasma TV. It has a classic look with a black casing and slim profile. Although not in the same category as the LG PS80 series, the LG 50PQ30 is great for most HDTV viewers. This set fails to impress the HDTV aficionados with only 720p resolution. But, a lower resolution means a lower price which spells happy shopping for most consumers. Besides, 720p resolution is enough to see good quality images without much noise.

Reviews show that along with 720p resolution, the LG 50PQ30 has 16:9 widescreen aspect ratio. This means all the modes can be seen with clarity. This HDTV also sports a great dynamic contrast ratio of 30,000:1. Pictures will be crystal clear with vivid color and high brightness. Even if you watch movies in a dark room, the images will be optimized to suit your eyes.

LG 50PQ30 Features and Specifications Review:

50 screen
720p resolution
600 Hz Smooth Motion
3 HDMI (V.1.3 with Deep Color)
Auto Volume Leveller II
USB 2.0
LG SimpLink connectivity
Smart Energy Saving
LG Core Technologies

The audio is highly improved with Auto Volume Leveler II. The small volume fluctuations can be adjusted with this feature. Now, there will not be any difference in the volume during advertisements and channel-changing. The LG 50PQ30 also features the SimpLink connectivity. It is possible to control all high-definition devices connected to the HDTV with the same remote. You will be able to control your video game console or DVD player with the same remote used for the HDTV.

A review of the connectivity options show that the USB port allows access to photos and music without interfacing through a computer. It also has 3 HDMI ports to connect to various high-definition devices. But with so many great features, LG has not forgotten to solve the power issue. The Smart Energy Saving package add certain features which will save a lot of unnecessary power. The LG 50PQ30 is ca great option for the entry-level Plasma TV for consumers who want a good product for a small price. At under a $1000, you wont find many 50 inch Plasma TVs.

YouReviewElectronics.com gives LG 50PQ30 8/10 stars!

I got the quote of 63K in Delhi,
little bargaining, and u can get it within 60K

I really liked this model and the size and PQ was awesome. its good 720p which is very decent for this size and price. I was totally in for this model but couldn't buy this one since my family was adamant on buying an LCD and not plasma.

I read on AVforums that small setting change in service menu can enable it to play divx off the usb as well. although its not recommended to fiddle with service menu but I would have definitely tried for once.

Couldn't find a better 50" even at 10K more than this price.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back