Price Increases

odyssey

Folks
As you all know Inflation is a major concern nowadays :eek: We are seeing price increases both in India and outside (bryston and Thiel almost 20% recently). The cause is mainly due to Rs to $ rate having gone south by close to 10% in the last few months along with crude oil prices going up resulting in ridiculous freight charges. If you havent seen price increase in a certain brand/item it could be good but might last only till the current stock runs out at the distributor. E.g. prices for Dali have gone up, the Ikon 6 I believe will now be retailing for high 70K. In general, you can expect 10% or more increase if the crude oil prices continue.
As for the brands that we deal in exclusively, we are still holding out increasing prices for Usher, Odyssey and Emerald Physics, but I see no respite coming....in any case, if we do have to increase prices, it will be as low as possible (depending on the item), this is a committment from our side to our customers. Before any price increases, we will first post here as a heads up to everyone.

cheers
[email protected]

As you all know Inflation is a major concern nowadays :eek: We are seeing price increases both in India and outside (bryston and Thiel almost 20% recently). .........

cheers
[email protected]

Sridhar

For precisely this reason why not go the contrarian way - like Steve Jobs is doing with the price drop on the iPhone? maybe that will give you the "push" for your products in these tough times!

Hi all,
Miss jambumali am sure there is more to this than meets the eye. An Apple phone being available at only Rs 8000/-. My take is a newer/upgraded I phone will be out soon and this seems to be the best way to clear all the stocks!

Dear Vinay hope u are now not thinking of short selling at the current market levels! Think that time has passed. Now just lick ur wounds and sit tight, maybe buy a little bit. I know things are looking bleak all around but strange things happen so best to not get caught short.

I personally feel its nice on sridhar's part to inform well in advance. That way if any of the forum members are contemplating a purchase from ARN they may choose to expedite and save some hard earned money.

Regards

Dinyaar, thanks, this was the intent and to also warn folks that other distributors do have price increases in the works, so if people are contemplating purchases of other brands, they can check with their dealers or distributors.
Jambumali, if you are interested in anything ARN carries, lets talk :D but seriously, its not easy to do what S Jobs is doing in a non-commodity market (comparitively), if we had 200% margin or whatever there is in the iphone, we can probably do that :)

cheers

Dear Vinay hope u are now not thinking of short selling at the current market levels! Think that time has passed. Now just lick ur wounds and sit tight, maybe buy a little bit. I know things are looking bleak all around but strange things happen so best to not get caught short.

I personally feel its nice on sridhar's part to inform well in advance. That way if any of the forum members are contemplating a purchase from ARN they may choose to expedite and save some hard earned money.

Regards

Dinyaar,

Let us not stray in the animal kingdom, well the licking part, is best left with the dogs and cats.

From where did you get the view that i want to short sell or that i have short sold, please consider to read the post with better frame of mind.

In-fact i am long on the market, in the last several days i have bought around 15 scrips, i work strictly on stop loss basis, before i buy or sell, i know what is my stop loss, i go purely on risk management.

If there is a view that the market fall will be now quite less, since it has fallen a lot, then sure one must put his foot where his mouth is, which shall mean go long on the market, buy a lot of shares, this way one may make a killing or get killed.

In-fact it is shocking when the market reversed from sensex 21,000, with every fall, most of them had to say that this is not the time to short, and there were whispers that this is the time to buy, and then let's say that people have been buying with every fall, then where is the new money to put in the market and let us not forget the whopping losses which people have made.

Let's talk the other way round, if someone was saying that market has reached it's peak of 21,000, then he should have short sold the market and made a killing.

I know for sure one thing, that most of the people will only do empty talk that this is the peak and this is the bottom, so all i say is grow up, man put your foot where your mouth is go short or long.

At the end of the day, one digs his grave, when one has a view that the market will now not fall and that now market will rise, we have to ride the market wave this way or that way.

I am sorry for writing on stocks, in this thread.

So similarly if someone feels that he knows that when the av equipments prices will rise and when it will fall, god save the person.

By the way, did you manage to get the av rack from abroad, if yes, then can you show us the pictures and since you had the interest to come over at my place to see my theatre, when will that happen?

Vinay.

Last edited:
To lick your wounds is not to be taken literally vinay!

Since u mentioned that all and sundry are predicting doom and gloom and that a killing can be made if one goes short i presumed that you too may consider that option hence just cautioned you. My frame of mind whether browsing posts on a forum or otherwise is perfectly fine.

Markets may not fall too much is just a personal opinion. One needs divine vision to be a hundred percent sure which i dont possess!!!Stocks should be seen as a means of wealth creation and this kill or be killed attitude/trading with stop losses is fine if it works for you, but my comments are aimed more at long term investors.

Regarding the 'All the empty talk about peaks/bottoms, grow up, put ur foot where ur mouth is(whatever that means) all I can say is hope you have a pleasant jouney with stocks!!

Regarding Shridhar just warning the forum members about impending increases is very different from SOMEONE SPECULATING on whether prices of A/V gear will go up/down. Try and interpret it correctly and in a "better frame of mind" as u put it.

My rack has not come from the UK as the one i had short listed was about 26kgs(carton and all) and would have been difficult for my wife to manage, so am in the process of making one.

Best regards

Last edited:
Stock Market Debate

To lick your wounds is not to be taken literally vinay!

Since u mentioned that all and sundry are predicting doom and gloom and that a killing can be made if one goes short i presumed that you too may consider that option hence just cautioned you. My frame of mind whether browsing posts on a forum or otherwise is perfectly fine.

Markets may not fall too much is just a personal opinion. One needs divine vision to be a hundred percent sure which i dont possess!!!Stocks should be seen as a means of wealth creation and this kill or be killed attitude/trading with stop losses is fine if it works for you, but my comments are aimed more at long term investors.

Regarding the 'All the empty talk about peaks/bottoms, grow up, put ur foot where ur mouth is(whatever that means) all I can say is hope you have a pleasant jouney with stocks!!

Regarding Shridhar just warning the forum members about impending increases is very different from SOMEONE SPECULATING on whether prices of A/V gear will go up/down. Try and interpret it correctly and in a "better frame of mind" as u put it.

My rack has not come from the UK as the one i had short listed was about 26kgs(carton and all) and would have been difficult for my wife to manage, so am in the process of making one.

Best regards

Dear Dinyaar,

Good Evening.

I hope I could see the frame of mind being fine, i spoke about your frame of mind because about the wounds which you are talking about they just do not exist other then the mind's imagination, literally speaking?

For licking, in the first place there has to be wounds, where did you see it, or did you see some milk, which the cat was licking, and you assumed that those were wounds, let us not forget that naturally when we talk about licking, animals do come around. One can surely use other words which are not reserved for animals.

About the market, rise and fall, I have answered at length, to sum it up empty utensils make more noise, there is nothing more to add but by the way there was quit a silence when the market starting falling from 21,000 from that time many of them are saying that it will not fall further, and now it is say 13,000 and still they are with the same story, it will not fall further, one need's to get up, open their eyes, and live with the market wave, and stop drinking their wounds.

The Divine vision which you are talking about, no one has the same, don't tell me that you were assuming that I knew that you are having hundred per cent Divine knowledge, the problem is with the guys who are holding stocks, and are not letting it go in the form of losses, because they do not have the guts to face the reality, there is not more than 5% in the market here to invest, all are here to make money, so if the stock price goes against you in a big way, what one is holding a vegetable in an intensive care unit or should I say in your respective terms that they are drinking their wounds or licking?

There is nothing like a long term investor, if one has invested in some stocks, say around 2 years ago, and today he stand to loose around 60% of his capital, so what would have been better to live by the stop loss or by the fake long term investor, if one would have sold out earlier the losses could have been around 90% less, and that way his money would have been free, to invest elsewhere, and now what happens is that the so called long term investor is like a lame duck or should I say a vegetable in an ICU.

About the prices of audio video equipments or whatever may the product world wide, it is simple, please do not play the role of god, to say that they know when the price will fall and when it will rise.

Indeed I am having a pleasant journey with the stocks, like the losses which I made in say last 3 months, it is not more than 2% of the capital, while the leading mutual funds guys have lost around 13% while the so called fake long term investors would have lost more than 30% in these 3 months. So who should have a better journey, is anybody's guess.

About the rack you were in talks with one of the manufacturers, who is a member at this site, they had some good racks, were they not good?

I will also tell you best regards.

Vinay.

Last edited:
Re: Stock Market Debate

Hi Vinay
I dont know if you were referring to my initial post, if you were - let me just clarify
Apart from crude oil (for freight), metal prices have gone up in the last 2 years by quite a bit - copper and AL. These are the two most use metals in amplifiers. In fact Ayre quotes this very reason for their 20+% price increase. I dont believe any one is playing the role of God here, but stating the common implication, after all common factors affecting a few suppliers are also bound to affect others - its just a question of time. My post wasnt meant in the intention of saying that I am Nostradamus but just as a warning to other people that a price rise (at least I believe) is highly probable, how much and to what extent may ofcourse vary. I am not forcing anyone to buy in a hurry just because of that, people are mature enough to make their own choices, but few people who arent in the industry will be knowledgeable about what is happening behind the scenes, and this type of insider information may help.

cheers

Dear Dinyaar,

About the prices of audio video equipments or whatever may the product world wide, it is simple, please do not play the role of god, to say that they know when the price will fall and when it will rise.

Vinay.

Dear Dinyaar,

Good Evening.

I hope I could see the frame of mind being fine, i spoke about your frame of mind because about the wounds which you are talking about they just do not exist other then the mind's imagination, literally speaking?

For licking, in the first place there has to be wounds, where did you see it, or did you see some milk, which the cat was licking, and you assumed that those were wounds, let us not forget that naturally when we talk about licking, animals do come around. One can surely use other words which are not reserved for animals.

About the market, rise and fall, I have answered at length, to sum it up empty utensils make more noise, there is nothing more to add but by the way there was quit a silence when the market starting falling from 21,000 from that time many of them are saying that it will not fall further, and now it is say 13,000 and still they are with the same story, it will not fall further, one need's to get up, open their eyes, and live with the market wave, and stop drinking their wounds.

The Divine vision which you are talking about, no one has the same, don't tell me that you were assuming that I knew that you are having hundred per cent Divine knowledge, the problem is with the guys who are holding stocks, and are not letting it go in the form of losses, because they do not have the guts to face the reality, there is not more than 5% in the market here to invest, all are here to make money, so if the stock price goes against you in a big way, what one is holding a vegetable in an intensive care unit or should I say in your respective terms that they are drinking their wounds or licking?

There is nothing like a long term investor, if one has invested in some stocks, say around 2 years ago, and today he stand to loose around 60% of his capital, so what would have been better to live by the stop loss or by the fake long term investor, if one would have sold out earlier the losses could have been around 90% less, and that way his money would have been free, to invest elsewhere, and now what happens is that the so called long term investor is like a lame duck or should I say a vegetable in an ICU.

Indeed I am having a pleasant journey with the stocks, like the losses which I made in say last 3 months, it is not more than 2% of the capital, while the leading mutual funds guys have lost around 13% while the so called fake long term investors would have lost more than 30% in these 3 months. So who should have a better journey, is anybody's guess.

About the rack you were in talks with one of the manufacturers, who is a member at this site, they had some good racks, were they not good?

Vinay.

I dont know where all this comes from but thats fine. You suggesting i use different words as a simple phrase like licking your wounds seems to be reserved for animals !! Frankly u should be the last person commenting on choice of words for obvious reasons.

What can i say about your tremendous knowledge and skill as far as the markets go. With the success u have had maybe u should start advising the leading fund managers!!!That way u will be truly helping people.

Anyway regarding this post shridhar has further clarified and no more needs to said. Amazing thing for me is u post without even knowing what the originator (in this case odyssey) is trying to say and then get into pointless arguments about cats,dogs and vegetables in ICU's!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Stock Market Debate

I dont know where all this comes from but thats fine. You suggesting i use different words as a simple phrase like licking your wounds seems to be reserved for animals !! Frankly u should be the last person commenting on choice of words for obvious reasons.

What can i say about your tremendous knowledge and skill as far as the markets go. With the success u have had maybe u should start advising the leading fund managers!!!That way u will be truly helping people.

Anyway regarding this post shridhar has further clarified and no more needs to said. Amazing thing for me is u post without even knowing what the originator (in this case odyssey) is trying to say and then get into pointless arguments about cats,dogs and vegetables in ICU's!!!!!!!

Dinyaar,

I do not understand what you are saying in the first paragraph, keeping in mind that i have replied to you at length, and you are throwing one liner.

About my knowledge with the stock market, i am talking with facts and figures, via contracts and data's, while show us what knowledge you have, other than hiding the losses under the garb of long term investor, over this long term investor factor, also i have written to you at length, and see your silence, that shows what is it, and boy i will never forget that someone is saying that stop loss is not the way to go forward, keeping in mind that the worlds most of the top players in stock market, follow the stop loss mechanism, while i have written other important pointers over which you are out and out evasive. I surely help people around me for whatever knowledge i have with the stock market or for mutual funds, and then see i am helping you also in the form of suggestions on investments, we all are here to learn from each other, as long as it makes sense, the other day i learnt a important point about some risk management.

By the way are you the adviser to some fund managers on long term investment, then please let me know for obvious reasons.

By the way, since you are a broker, and if your customer looses money, what do you tell him, sir please do not lick your wounds.

Best Regards.

Last edited:

Dinyaar,

Well it is surprising that it is you who is talking about dogs, cats, as you are talking about licking wounds, etc.

As far as vegetables and icu, it is your culture in the form of long term investment, stay invested even if the loss is very high.

About your saying that i do not understand what the originator is trying to say, well please read my posts properly and then write to me, but then what to tell you, for so many things you are allready not replying for which i have writen.

So when are you getting your av rack made.

Vinay.

Stock Market Debate Continues

Dinyaar,

Please guide me with all the points which i have bought to your notice, as i have also been replying to whatever you write, it is a great learning experience.

I hope we can wrap this debate in an hour or so, after all tomorrow will be the monday blues.

Vinay.

Stock Market Debate, Continues.

Dinyaar,

The most important thing i want to know if you are advicing to fund managers or no.

Vinay.

Vinay,
Refrain from talking about culture etc. You didnt like it when someone recently attacked u similarly. I am not here on the forum to really talk about stocks nor am i dumb enough to gloat about my successes /failures at the markets. Try to be careful on your choice of words.
Regarding ur questions. No i do not advice any fund managers as they are smart enough and dont need any advice from the brokers. Yes i am a broker and my family has been one of the first parsi broking firms on the BSE and if a client of mine loses money i can extend my commiserations only as i rarely advice people on what to buy or sell, rather leave it to them and merely act as a Broker. Lastly yes i have been a long term investor( however alien that may sound to you) and am satisfied with the returns from all investments.
For people like yourself i advice a few good books on this subject or maybe even attend a few seminars/programmes to understand the concept of investing a bit better.
My rack is a W.I.P since u seem more than interested.
I would be only too happy to wrap this up as i basically jumped on to this thread as i thought it was nice on shridhar's part to warn members of an impending hike and also just opined on what Ms jambumali suggested about the I Phone. Thats all. I dont know shridhar nor do i want to buy anything from them as am bbay based( as u are aware).

Last edited:
Vinay,
Refrain from talking about culture etc. You didnt like it when someone recently attacked u similarly. I am not here on the forum to really talk about stocks nor am i dumb enough to gloat about my successes /failures at the markets. Try to be careful on your choice of words.
Regarding ur questions. No i do not advice any fund managers as they are smart enough and dont need any advice from the brokers. Yes i am a broker and my family has been one of the first parsi broking firms on the BSE and if a client of mine loses money i can extend my commiserations only as i rarely advice people on what to buy or sell, rather leave it to them and merely act as a Broker. Lastly yes i have been a long term investor( however alien that may sound to you) and am satisfied with the returns from all investments.
For people like yourself i advice a few good books on this subject or maybe even attend a few seminars/programmes to understand the concept of investing a bit better.
My rack is a W.I.P since u seem more than interested.
I would be only too happy to wrap this up as i basically jumped on to this thread as i thought it was nice on shridhar's part to warn members of an impending hike and also just opined on what Ms jambumali suggested about the I Phone. Thats all. I dont know shridhar nor do i want to buy anything from them as am bbay based( as u are aware).

Dinyaar,

I am replying to whatever you are writing, but what i am writing you are not coming forth with the full replies, and for many of the points you are just silent, each time you are talking something else, so please first reply to everything, then i will write to you on your new set of writings.

Best Regards.

The Making Of A Home Theatre

Hey...Vinay....

thanx..... i didnt thought bought the warranty issue..... anyway well the wall work is going to be completely finish within 6-7 days... and then i will start the wiring work and accoustics works.. like.... glass wool ..... & hey shall i put glass wool and on top of that wood flooring so that the sound doesnt travel to the flat below mine..... and also planning to put glass wool and then the gypsum board for the ceiling.....

Pranab, so what exactly have you done with the wall work, and the wiring work also has to be done in a concealing way, as much as possible.

Pranab please avoid putting wooden flooring, better use wall to wall carpet, or you can use lesser carpet, even i wanted to do wooden flooring, but i gave it up because of the acoustic factor, as carpet is the most idle, and let me tell you pranab it is not possible to put glass wool on top of the wooden flooring, for the sound travelling to lower floor, that can not be the solution which you are saying, how to go about it, i have told you in my earlier posts, please refer them, i do not think it is a good idea to put glass wool and gypsum for the ceiling, and you were considering for acoustic ceiling tiles, you dropped this idea?

Please let me know if you need any clarifications etc.

Vinay.

...... Jambumali, if you are interested in anything ARN carries, lets talk :D but seriously, its not easy to do what S Jobs is doing in a non-commodity market (comparitively), if we had 200% margin or whatever there is in the iphone, we can probably do that :)

cheers

It was a light hearted comment only !

I know dealers have very limited influence on pricing policy of the companies they represent.

But seriously, many things that were supposed to be exclusive etc., have been / are being sachetized / commoditized. And, as for the "200% margin" - no comments :D Take it easy !!

:) I didnt take it seriously...
One thing though, the exclusivity that I mentioned is not in relation to the product category, but instead to the fact that these products/brands are sold only by us in India and in some sense we have some control over the pricing even if its not very significant. There is ofcourse not much we can do if the manufacturer raises the price.

cheers

It was a light hearted comment only !

I know dealers have very limited influence on pricing policy of the companies they represent.

But seriously, many things that were supposed to be exclusive etc., have been / are being sachetized / commoditized. And, as for the "200% margin" - no comments :D Take it easy !!

how much does it cost to get the acoustics treatment?
Tiles on ceiling, rugs on floor, glasswool on walls.
I am a poor person and can not have a separate HT room. I want to setup my living room for decent audio. Given that, what should I do with doors and stairs that land in the room, and huge glass doors (2 doors + 2 door sized glasses fixed)?

Should I create another thread in case I am hijacking some other thread?

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back