Prime Video Audio Settings

rksingh1

I have X96 mini android TV box : https://www.amazon.in/X96-Android-A...2559037&s=gateway&sprefix=X96+,aps,295&sr=8-3

I have 1TB HD connected with it.

I installed Prime Video app on this and connected it to Yamaha v585. I get the classic problem of low dialog volume but high background music/music or other sound. It means I need to keep adjusting the volume all the time. Whenever a song will play, I'll need to reduce the volume by 20% and then bring it back up when some dialogs arebeing spoken. If there is a dialog and background music, I'll hear background music more than the dialogs.

This started happening when I added the center channel to the setup. With just front towers, I didn't have any problem. While this is more prominent with Prime Video on X96, the issue still persists (slight less) while watching Star Movies HD off of Tatasky.

Dialog lift is pushed to max in Yamaha AVR. Front towers are set to large and bi-amped in configuration. Center channel is set to small. There is no frequency or level set for any of the speakers.

I have X96 mini android TV box : https://www.amazon.in/X96-Android-Amlogic-Cortex-Support/dp/B07FQ43792/ref=sr_1_3?crid=KR8RQQSGB6E9&keywords=x96+mini&qid=1562559037&s=gateway&sprefix=X96+,aps,295&sr=8-3

I have 1TB HD connected with it.

I installed Prime Video app on this and connected it to Yamaha v585. I get the classic problem of low dialog volume but high background music/music or other sound. It means I need to keep adjusting the volume all the time. Whenever a song will play, I'll need to reduce the volume by 20% and then bring it back up when some dialogs arebeing spoken. If there is a dialog and background music, I'll hear background music more than the dialogs.

This started happening when I added the center channel to the setup. With just front towers, I didn't have any problem. While this is more prominent with Prime Video on X96, the issue still persists (slight less) while watching Star Movies HD off of Tatasky.

Dialog lift is pushed to max in Yamaha AVR. Front towers are set to large and bi-amped in configuration. Center channel is set to small. There is no frequency or level set for any of the speakers.
Hi,

Is this problem only with Amazon prime video or other movies too? If yes, then try setting Equalizer level manually as per your requirement.

Hi,

Is this problem only with Amazon prime video or other movies too? If yes, then try setting Equalizer level manually as per your requirement.
Hi, I am using prime video on MI box s and input signal shows only front speakers although I have 5.1 set up. This is the same for YouTube also. Though Netflix plays in 5.1ch. Please check your input and output source in info.

Is this problem only with Amazon prime video

Major in Amazon Prime video - but available in my HD media content also which is plugged into USB of X96 mini.

I am using prime video on MI box s and input signal shows only front speakers

But do you get output from all the channels? I haven't checked the info but for me, I am getting output from all three speakers in my setup and the separation isn't bad.

I tried EQ settings. The conversations are very low and music are too loud. Dialogues are expected to be in mid range - increasing mid range and lowering the highs and lows doesn't necessarily work and creates an imbalanced audio experience.

Major in Amazon Prime video - but available in my HD media content also which is plugged into USB of X96 mini.

But do you get output from all the channels? I haven't checked the info but for me, I am getting output from all three speakers in my setup and the separation isn't bad.

I tried EQ settings. The conversations are very low and music are too loud. Dialogues are expected to be in mid range - increasing mid range and lowering the highs and lows doesn't necessarily work and creates an imbalanced audio experience.
Yes I'm getting audio from all 5.1 channel and dialogue is clear enough. Some times it also depends on the movie's original audio quality. Between, I'm using Marantz SR5013 with Taga Harmony Platinum series.

Hi, I am using prime video on MI box s and input signal shows only front speakers although I have 5.1 set up. This is the same for YouTube also. Though Netflix plays in 5.1ch. Please check your input and output source in info.
Hi,
I used to have MI box before but since Amazon prime was not available in 5.1 in it, i jumped to Nvidia Shield. Maybe, android box are not compatible to play Amazon prime video in 5.1 sound.
Please check this link
The 5.1 sound you are getting is actually upscaled one.

Hi,
I used to have MI box before but since Amazon prime was not available in 5.1 in it, i jumped to Nvidia Shield. Maybe, android box are not compatible to play Amazon prime video in 5.1 sound.
Please check this link
The 5.1 sound you are getting is actually upscaled one.
Thanks for clearing some of my doubts.

AFAIK the audio and video settings are applied at device level not at app level.

If it is Nvidia the settings are for the device itself likewise with FIRE TV

Dear any Prime Video user - where do I find the Audio and Video settings menu/option in Prime Video app?
I’ve this cog/gear menu on firestick remote app which brings up the settings as below. The Prime app doesn't have independent settings.

Last edited:
Dear any Prime Video user - where do I find the Audio and Video settings menu/option in Prime Video app?
Hi,
I have observed "X96 android Box" in your signature. Do you watch prime video in it or have firestick? Trust me, android box are not compatible with amazon prime for 5.1 sound. The list of compatible devices are in the link below:

Cheapest option will be to get a Firestick.

I have observed "X96 android Box" in your signature. Do you watch prime video in it or have firestick? Trust me, android box are not compatible with amazon prime for 5.1 sound.

Yes - I watch prime over X96 android TV. It used to be fine till the time it was 2.0 setup. 3.0 setup seems to have bothered it somewhere.

I am getting the audio and I don't actually care for 5.1 audio. The problem has been in dialog and music volume variation. Why the dialog volume be low?

The Prime app doesn't have independent settings.

Thats sad. I want to change the optimal resolution or alter audio from the App, and I can't do it as their in no option in the app. Isn't this a problem with Prime Video app? What if I want to watch 480p video only to save data (and I don't want to save it)?

Thats sad. I want to change the optimal resolution or alter audio from the App, and I can't do it as their in no option in the app. Isn't this a problem with Prime Video app? What if I want to watch 480p video only to save data (and I don't want to save it)?
On the firestick Netflix app I noticed this similar issue. We can’t change the resolution. Only workaround is to change on the website and it’ll be applied to all apps. Just see if such a possibility exists for prime video on web?

Amazon prime's support for Android is poor. You cannot change audio settings. Low dialogue volume is due to high dynamic range in audio. There's a workaround however using Kodi. Kodi has option to compress dynamic range.

Install prime add-on.
https://github.com/Sandmann79/xbmc

Then logon using prime account.

Play content and Adjust compression range. this will bring up volume level.
https://www.tvaddons.co/spoken-audio-jarvis/amp

Prime add-on is slow on first load but opens up options unavailable in prime app. You can select 5.1 audio stream from audio settings.

try and see if this works..

Thanks @amiryca - I'll try this one when I get home tonight. Any alternate solution, if it doesn't work.

@sandeepss - I tried googling and searching primevideo.com for audio/video setting. Didn't see anywhere. I fail to understand - why not have audio video settings with the app?

why not have audio video settings with the app
The developer must’ve designed this for western audience with high data limits. Chromecast also has this issue, streams at highest possible resolution supported by our data connection

Thanks @amiryca - I'll try this one when I get home tonight. Any alternate solution, if it doesn't work.

Prime app is primarily made for phones, not for TV's. so feels awkward on android TV...
This solution should work, may be you’ll have to sweat a bit depending on your kodi version.

It was a long road of hit and try methods over the weekend.

The root cause of this problem, as mentioned by various forums, was lack of compatibility in processing 5.1 sound by the devices including the HDMI cable.

OK - well, I got the cause. So what to do to fix it?

I went into X96 sound settings (it has 2 of those). Disabled all the dolby digital processing (yes, it did have an option like that) - set all the audio settings to PCM and disabled any HDMI or Audio processing from the box. Played the Jurassic Park III with Mono Audio or Standard settings, and I could see 70% improvement in audio.

It is not a rocket science for me to understand that X96 is the culprit here. It is not able to process DD in a manner known to AVR. I didn't try a new HDMI cable (because I dont have a spare) - but that could be a point of failure too.

All in all - I have a respectable result. Thank you.

Back