Pro Ac Tablette and ATC SCM19 opinions?

up the sound. Not suited for low level and night listening. Harbeths
Did you notice that this guy’s room was very reverberant? See the lingering sound after he finishes a sentence.
Could that be a deliberate setting in the mic? Some add that reverb as it adds a certain weight/effect to the speech. An audio clip would give us better idea of his room acoustics, but does he share them?

Arj always love new audio sites. Good time pass! Did you notice that this guy’s room was very reverberant? See the lingering sound after he finishes a sentence. It’s become a habit - I listen to rooms a lot (including clicking fingers in strangers houses - eeks.)

Vineetrad, one thing for sure is that I think ATC are speakers that can be sold second hand in decent quick time and generally good reviews except the aforementioned ASR. I think that too merits considerations. Proac too, but a google search will give decent amount of positive hits for SCM 19.

And as some may know from my past posts, go Harbeth go Spendor. And I think you hit the nail on the head - those speakers do better with naturally played and recorded instruments (vocals, orchestra and jazz) but don’t have that excitement with say electric guitars - and then comes the other set with trade offs. I have heard the ATCs and liked them, but not enough to buy yet.

Talk to Sidvee (or perhaps he can post here, let me nudge him) - including comments on upstream components- he has owned ATC and now the small Spendors.

Yes decently good resale value (like Harbeth) is indeed another attraction. What would be a fair price for a SCM19 passive v1? Otherwise I will have to buy a new SCM19 V2 or even the SCM 11 v3. I am given to understand that besides bass the SCM 11 acquits itself pretty well compared to the 19.

I have already chatted with Sid :). He strongly recommended the SCM7 for its ability to detach the music completely from the speakers

So in short a bit confused about which model to go for as well lol.

I've heard Atc SCM 40 & SCM 11s in both V1 and V2 but not SCM 19s. V2 are quite an upgrade over the V1. Apart from better Tweeters, the cabinet geometry and the corresponding crossover changes are quite remarkable. Hopefully that helps.

Thanks. Looks like the V2 is clearly worth paying a premium for and buying new. I see the SCM19 v1 still selling for around 1L INR on international websites. That's seems like good retained value for a 7-10 year old speaker. I'm hoping the V2 similarly holds value for quite some time.

Arj always love new audio sites. Good time pass! Did you notice that this guy’s room was very reverberant? See the lingering sound after he finishes a sentence. It’s become a habit - I listen to rooms a lot (including clicking fingers in strangers houses - eeks.)

Vineetrad, one thing for sure is that I think ATC are speakers that can be sold second hand in decent quick time and generally good reviews except the aforementioned ASR. I think that too merits considerations. Proac too, but a google search will give decent amount of positive hits for SCM 19.

And as some may know from my past posts, go Harbeth go Spendor. And I think you hit the nail on the head - those speakers do better with naturally played and recorded instruments (vocals, orchestra and jazz) but don’t have that excitement with say electric guitars - and then comes the other set with trade offs. I have heard the ATCs and liked them, but not enough to buy yet.

Talk to Sidvee (or perhaps he can post here, let me nudge him) - including comments on upstream components- he has owned ATC and now the small Spendors.
To be honest I never noticed that and really kudos on catching it ! His reviews look really balanced and his knowledge seems to be apparently very good since he did have a piece on speaker placement as well hence would like to give him the benefit of the doubt and assume that he has set it up well !

I am personally never sure of speakers from just a couple of reviews or even having heard them since have seen Amplifier, room , placement and even "ear" preferences really give so many different opinions as a personal experience !

Harbeths, Spendor, ATC and Proac are classic British Hifi still quite different from each other , although it may be argued that Harbeth/Spendor more like each other but still different as harbeth is relatively more forgiving.

Personally have been exposed to each of these for a really long time in terms of knowing people who like these, reading about them and hering them occasionally as well that there could be an opinion that I do have formed over the many years but I do believe each of these are musical in their own way but needs to be paired setup accordingly as well

If i allowed to ramble albeit a bit more concisely, I would summarize them as below..and each of us may have different views as well

Harbeth: the most forgiving and very easy to drive but needs to be kept closer to the walls and in an open frame stand. can sound good with any amplifier or source but better the quality the better it sounds. Midrange is what this speaker is all about.

Spendor, a little more resolving in harmonics, needs slightly more careful placement and better partnered with neutral-warm sounding amps and at least a mid fi level source. Bass and midrange are their strengths.

Proac: Needs careful placement and a really heavy stand for the bass to really stand out and best with neutral amps. can be very musical and resolving . needs more power than the above 2 to really shine and the source needs to be good.

ATC: Perhaps the most resolving with a bass to die for but needs very careful placement and pairing with their own stands to really get it right. The actives are at a higher level since the crossover distortion is removed but need the right pre amp and a high quality source. if you dont get the source/amplification and placement right these can go the other way ! the most used in recording/mastering studios among the above.

I hate generalisations and have been guilty of the same above..and the above do vary as per their models as well so the above may be more relevant to the initial entry level models than the top of the line like the Harbeth monitors etc

ATC: Perhaps the most resolving with a bass to die for but needs very careful placement and pairing with their own stands to really get it right. The actives are at a higher level since the crossover distortion is removed but need the right pre amp and a high quality source. if you dont get the source/amplification and placement right these can go the other way ! the most used in recording/mastering studios among the above.
This is very typical of all true active systems where the passive crossover is removed from the equation. The source, cables and preamp pretty much define the sound. The sound can vary from harsh to superbly natural depending on the nature of these upstream components. I have my concerns about amplifiers enclosed in a vibration prone loudspeaker cabinet though. Outboard amps are the best. But very few speaker manufacturers do "active speaker systems " that way.

Further update. Cinema Focus have confirmed availability of the ATC19 passive. No stock of the 19 active. Restocking times are unknown due to Covid.

Long shot, does any kind soul in Bangalore have passive ATCs (7,11,19 or even 40) so that I can do a very brief audition (with all suitable Covid protection and precautions in place) ?

I would really prefer to place an order having heard a passive ATC model. I have to date only heard active models on two separate occasions.

Last edited:
@vineetrad going by your observations and taste, between all the ATCs in this discussion you will like the 40s the most. It has the warmer and fuller than other ATCs. The mid driver is a legend for its accuracy without getting analytical. Even the top end proacs use ATC mid drivers. Overall you will prefer its smoother and more natural curve. In comparison the 19 have an edge to the sound. SCM 7 sounds very good but small

Can anyone who has experience with Pro Ac Tablette and/or ATC SCM19 speakers please help? Any inputs on how it compares with the Harbeth P3esr, Spendor 3/5 (both of which I own) would be extremely useful. I find the Spendor/Harbeth sound signature type, strengths, type of music they suit, etc similar. So looking for a good speaker with a different set of strengths and sound signature. I have always preferred the bookshelf form factor. I am looking for a more transparent studio type speaker this time. Hence considering the Tablette and SCM19. Have generally also preferred sealed box designs to ported but want to be open minded.

I will pair it with a suitable quality SS or Tube amp so that need not be considered as a constraint to select between the two.

Am open to any other bookshelves that fit the above criteria and within a similar budget if anyone has suggestions.

Thank you.
I can only tell that I was in UK for over 5 years where I heard and became obsessed over P3ESR. I moved back to India and made up my mind to get them(money no bar). One demo of tablette 10 signature made me leaving the dealer with proacs post the session. Was never more sure if anything else ever before. The proacs for me very that special. They made me get over a 7 year obsession in a jiffy. The treble region has a sweetness that is unique with imaging and mids to die for. Nice sparkling sound signature compared to the warm tonality of harbeths. I have heard the ATC 19 passive..very technically proficient but made me wonder 'where's the soul?' Not to mention...hard to drive. Need to figure out if the actives are more musical.

No experience with spendor. I am a proac house sound guy. For near/ midfield..has to be tablette. For further back..Response d2r! There was a very good deal on a resell 1sc which I missed as I was in a dilemma having acquired the tablette recently. My loss!

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back