Proac Speakers in Pune

sidvee

Are there any proac dealers in Pune? I will be relocating to Pune from the US (detroit) in a few weeks and plan to buy a pair of Proac studio 140's. I love the Proac sound. Also I would appreciate it if someone could PM me with what these cost in India - out the door with all taxes etc. included.
I plan to listen to Cadence too as they are highly regarded in Europe.
I am importing all my components which consist of Musical Fidelity/Marantz sources, ModWright Tube Preamp, Quicksilver monoblock tube power amps. and B&W Nautilus speakers, but while these are in transit I would also like to have an interim system of which the Proac's will be the transducers.
I am also a reviewer for Sounstage magazine in the US which is an e-magazine and highly regarded here. You can read some of my reviews (Sid Vootla) here - www.soundstage.com . I hope to be able to do some reviews in India after I move as Audio is my passion.
Thx.
Sid

Hello Sidvee,

Welcome to Pune and HiFiVision.com!

It is great to have a reviewer in this forum. looking forward to read more of the reviews here. As far as ProAcs are concerned I would suggest you get in touch with Prithvi from Absolute Phase He should be able to help you in this regard.

Dear Sid,

Great to see you online and welcome to India.

We first came across your name with the Dynaudio Focus 110 review you conducted recently.

As the official distributors for Dynaudio in India we welcome you and look forward to interacting with you in the near future.

Should you have any queries on anything AV related or anything else you can call me personally on +919323111890.

Regards,

Veeryavanta

Thank you all for the responses. I look forward too working with Prithvi - for the Proacs. Veeryavanta, thanks for welcome. The Dynaudio focus 110 is a fantastic speaker for the money and I was sorry to see it go, but I did nominate it for the Soundatge Reviewers choice. Maybe once I relocate to India, I may buy a pair for a bedroom.
Regards,
Sid

Hi Sidvee, a gentleman I know thru another forum bot Proac studio 140 for Rs 1.2k thru a Proac dealer in kerala-I went across for an audition some days back-very nice, musical set of speakers-the sort of laid back, yet with all the qualities that a good speaker should possess, in my opinion.
I know that this is not the thread for it but can you plz give me your opinion abt Oppo DV 981 HD as a universal DVD player? I've read some pretty good reviews abt it but what would be your expert opinion,if you are familiar with the player?There is no dealership in India for Oppo so would lack of service facilities be an impt issue?
Would appreciate your candid an early respone.

The Oppo DVD player is getting to be very popular indeed. I was suprised to read its review in the current issue of Stereophile!!

Dear Cyrus, since I do not have access to Stereophile, could you plz post a gist of the review?
I am particularly interested in the Oppo 981HD's audio performance.
Also, in case you know how to send a PM in this Forum, plz let me know; I have'nt been able to figure it out!

Stereophile has a 7 page review on the Oppo Digital DV-970HD and Wes Philips (the reviewer) found the unit to be VERY GOOD and went on to say that the unit produced a very listenable, detailed and satisfying sound apart from being an extremely impressive DVD player.

Wow!!! Now I got company in this forum when it comes to being a ProAc enthusiast(apart from prithvi of course). Thanks Sidvee...I'm using a complete ProAc setup (Studio 140, 110, Center and ER1) for my HT driven by ARCAM electronics... Would be nice to share our experiences with the forum. Few people seem to acknowledge and appreciate the ProAc speakers in this country...now when it comes from a professional reviewer, ProAcs will get the respect they deserve...

Hi Avexplorer,
I am an unbridled Proac enthusiast and enjoy the British/Danish voicing of speakers very much, though I have lived in the US for the past 16 years. I have owned and own B&W/Kef & Dynaudio and love all of them. I used to own Proacs early on but in a fit of misjudgement sold them. So I am looking forward to my new affair with them. One question thought - what is your opinion on the 140's imaging and soundstaging capability? Can they portray instruments well dilenated in space and also the the lateral width of the stage?
Do let me know. I plan on doing some extended auditioning once Prithvi has a dealer set up, but I would appreciate your input.
BTW do check out my new review of the B&W CM1 minimonitor at www.soundstage.com.
Sid

Hi Avexplorer,
I am an unbridled Proac enthusiast and enjoy the British/Danish voicing of speakers very much, though I have lived in the US for the past 16 years. I have owned and own B&W/Kef & Dynaudio and love all of them. I used to own Proacs early on but in a fit of misjudgement sold them. So I am looking forward to my new affair with them. One question thought - what is your opinion on the 140's imaging and soundstaging capability? Can they portray instruments well dilenated in space and also the the lateral width of the stage?
Do let me know. I plan on doing some extended auditioning once Prithvi has a dealer set up, but I would appreciate your input.
BTW do check out my new review of the B&W CM1 minimonitor at www.soundstage.com.
Sid

The Studio 140's deliver a very wide and deep soundstage with accurate and uncolored reproduction across its entire frequency band. The bass and mids are probably more profound than any other speaker I have heard so far in this price band. But to experience any of that, these floor standers need a large room. In my experience, they play to their potential when the speakers are at least 9' to 10' apart. One thing that needs to be borne in mind though is they need a fairly long burn in time, say around 300 hrs. Brand new ones sound absolutely crappy. Also they should not be paired with electronics that sound bright or cold and analytical. Though the What Hi-Fi had rated them best in a super test pairing them with Primare, I personally felt they worked their magic with warm sounding electronics like ARCAM

Last edited:
Thanks for the recommendation avexplorer. Much appreciated. My ultimate plan to mate the Proacs with a Modwright tube preamp & quicksilver tube monoblocks. Also my digital source will feed into a musical fidelity x-10 v3 tube buffer before connecting to the pre-amp. So in essence this will be an all tube system from source to amp. Hopefully this will make the Proacs sing. As for the size of the room, I will keep you rec. in mind.
As I go along I will post updates of my progress.

Hi,
Reading all those posts on Proac studio140 tickled my curiosity. I have been contemplating changing speakers of my audio set up. curretnly use Monitor Audio RS8 driven by Cairn Monoblocks (100 wpc).

How do Proacs pair up with Cairn if anyone has an idea? Any feedback/review on Jamo C809? Or any suggestion on any other FS pairs?
Thanks
ckn

Hi Sid,
I'm new to the forum. Since you are looking at ProAc series and an experienced reviewer, let me ask your views on the older ProAc Studio 125. I'm planning to get one to use with my new Linn Classik Music.
Reggie

Hi Reggie,
Unfortunately I have not heard the 125's so I cannot comment specifically but if they have the general voicing of Proacs they should be very good. I used to have a Linn Ikemi CD player and found the treble response to be smooth and sweet though a touch laid back - So depending on your preference of higher frequency response you have to check the combination of your linn and proacs - and decide if it is to your liking. I like my treble to have a bit of bite.

Hi Sid,
I'm new to the forum. Since you are looking at ProAc series and an experienced reviewer, let me ask your views on the older ProAc Studio 125. I'm planning to get one to use with my new Linn Classik Music.
Reggie

Reggie,
The Studio 125s are my fav ProAc Speaker till date. They are VFM and just awesome sound. I have sold many clients this combo with the Linn Classik Music and you will be shocked at the way the Classik can drive the 125s. Linn is very artikulate and pitch accurate, goes very well with the warm sounding ProAcs. The 125s are very nice and tight. End of the day IMHO, try and hear the combo before you buy anything. Trust your own ears and use your own music, & then take a call. Loudspeaker listening is very subjective.

You can hear the new Linn CLassik Music and the Studio 130s, 140s & the Responce 1sc (fantastic speaker) with either Linn, Arcam or Cyrus electronics at my place. Do call me for a demo appointment.

Sid and Pritvi,
Thanks for your thoughts. I got the ProAc 125. Tell you, I'm delighted with the sound. They are absolutely great with the Linn Classik Music.
Pritvi, I reside in UAE since 1998, and Dubai Audio, who I'm sure are your pals, is where I pick all my stuff. Previously I had an Arcam and Kef combo.
Many thanks to you guys for sharing your knowledge. Also thanks to those behind the forum.
Cheers

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back