Speaker auditions in Pune

Don't worry Vivek,

Work Hard & you shall save enough for your Titan's very soon.

Best Wishes :)

I am also thinking of upgrading from my Yamaha floor-standers (Details in signature) to bookshelves. I'll connect them to my Pioneer AVR with Yamaha sub to handle <100Hz frequencies.

I found Monitor Audio BX2/BX1 to be good from web reviews. Does anyone know of a place in Pune where I can audition them? I drive to Mumbai at least once every 2 months. I can audition them in Mumbai in the worst case ("Dealers for Monitor Audio BX2 in Mumbai" thread contains details of Mumbai dealers).

I am also thinking of upgrading from my Yamaha floor-standers (Details in signature) to bookshelves. I'll connect them to my Pioneer AVR with Yamaha sub to handle <100Hz frequencies.

I found Monitor Audio BX2/BX1 to be good from web reviews. Does anyone know of a place in Pune where I can audition them? I drive to Mumbai at least once every 2 months. I can audition them in Mumbai in the worst case ("Dealers for Monitor Audio BX2 in Mumbai" thread contains details of Mumbai dealers).

S K Office Solutions in Camp seems to be a dealer who deals with Monitor Audio. Thinking about giving them a visit in the 2nd phase of my auditions. You can check this one out:

S K Office Solutions
Shop No 2, Camp, East Street Galleria, Camp, Pune - 411001

I would suggest you to try PSB Image Bookshelves too .. just so that you can compare with Paradigm Titans and MA..

Re: Speaker auditions in Pune:: Part 2

Hello All!
Yesterday I got this opportunity to audition two of the most anticipated products from my audition hit-list, thanks to Supriyo (fellow forum member "sups"). The first one is Topping T20 amp and the another one is Usher s520 bookshelf speakers.

As planned, I visited supriyo's home and he received me with a very warm welcome and ofcourse with delicious bengali "Rosogolla". I really appreciate that Supriyo! :)
After I settled in comfortably, we discussed about the amp and the speaker and he showed me his assorted music CD collection. I was very curious to look at the tiny little amp as I had seen it only in the online pictures. As Supriyo unvelied the little monster and I was quite startled by the small size of the amp. It's not that I didn't had the idea of the tiny size of the amp, as I have seen comparative pictures of this amp with a CD case as well as the NAD amp before online, but seeing it in reality was something of a different kind of experience! Guys, it is really tiny, period!

Supriyo's stereo setup consist of the Topping T20, Usher s520 and an Oppo DVD player, all placed over a very big cabinet with marble top. The speakers were separated by about 6 feet.

We started with playing a bit of Santana, as I wanted to check out the midrange offered by this particular amp and the speaker combo. The first impression was good. Initially, after seeing the size of the amp, my expectations were not very high, but once it started playing it really started to exceed my expectations! I must say, this little amp has a very balanced tonality which is mostly found in the branded Hi Fi audio amps! The upper frequencies were very balanced and clear. I don't know whom to give the credit, Topping or the Usher, as both of them were strangers to me, but as a combo they were doing some serious deeds. The midrange was also very lush and warm. And the most frequently discussed or critcized attribute of this amp...Bass, was very good infact. I would not say it would shake your window panes but it was there wherever needed. There was a hint of sub-bass frequencies in the sound which was making the overall sound complete and was very soothing. I never felt the bass anaemic, as described by some (might be it is because of incorrect pairing).
After that Supriyo suggested to play some other album (of which I forgot the name....apologies). It was to check the ability of the amp to handle complex music (which sounded like Jive music to me). Again, the amp kept me impressed. The overall tonality was very good. No sibilence or ear piercing sound, infact, the sound was quite natural. I had this only qualm because of a slight channel imbalance in the sound. I mentioned this to Supriyo and he tried to correct it by shifting the left channel speaker a bit back, as this speaker was a bit near to my sitting position than the right one. There was improvement, but still a bit of imbalance was there. I would assume that it was because of the speaker placement and not something induced by the amp itself.
Then, I searched for some other CDs from the pile which offers some music with great midrange. My eyes laid upon an Usher Demo CD, which came along with the Usher bookshelves (Yeah, the forgetful me forgot to bring the compilation CD which I take to every audition).
Once I played the CD and played a track containing some "Chinese drum" music, it is when I realized the true midrange quality of the Topping/Usher combo. The midrange was so fluid and the soundstage was so big. The recording sounded as if the drums are played in a large hall, and I am sure it would have been, all these at a volume level at around 11pm level. The depth was very good and the deep and fast drum beats were coming out quite clearly and with great speed. The imaging of the Ushers was commendable and the speed of the midrange driver was matching that of the diamond tweeter. The sound was very coherent as well, with no bumps or troughs in the frequency range. I have to say, I was totally impressed by this sweet sounding combo (maybe it had to do something with the well-known bengali hospitality!).

I cannot really comment on the individual sound signatures of the Topping and the Usher, but as a combo they really came out with flying colors! May be, incorrect pairing of the Topping with some incompatible (variable impedance & low sensitivity) speaker will not sound as great but paired with the Usher s520, the combo will do justice to your music.
If you have a room size of about 150 to 250 sqft; you are a classical, jazz lover and like to listen to music at decent levels, then this combo is one of the options which you would surely love to own.

And the final question, will I part with my NAD to seek Audio nirvana via Topping?
Well, I might not. Due to the following reasons.
First, It doesn't hurt if you have some extra power so that you can crank up the volume without sacrificing the clarity (i haven't tried this with Topping, but it's just a gut feeling that the Topping may act cranky at higher volume levels).
Second, the lazy me love the remote control.
Third, the multiple inputs comes quite handy when you connect your iPod, Media player and lappy to the amp.
Fourth, the tone balance of the NAD really does great to handle your mood swings.
I think the reason mentioned above are enough to keep me sticking to my NAD amp for a few more time (time is relative ;))

As a disclaimer, I would add that the above review is from an infant in the audiophile world and is applicable only for the combo, and hence should be taken with a pinch of salt.

After I left Supriyo's home, I had plans to visit the Sound & Vision shop in Camp, Pune. I called the shop number and described my requirement and budget, and an unfriendly voice said that WE carry bookshelf from only above 75k and here the floorstanders costs 1.5k. After this conversation, I shunned the idea of visiting them.

Cheers!

Last edited:

And the final question, will I part with my NAD to seek Audio nirvana via Topping?
Well, I might not. Due to the following reasons.
First, It doesn't hurt if you have some extra power so that you can crank up the volume without sacrificing the clarity (i haven't tried this with Topping, but it's just a gut feeling that the Topping may act cranky at higher volume levels).
Second, the lazy me love the remote control.
Third, the multiple inputs comes quite handy when you connect your iPod, Media player and lappy to the amp.
Fourth, the tone balance of the NAD really does great to handle your mood swings.
I think the reason mentioned above are enough to keep me sticking to my NAD amp for a few more time (time is relative ;))
Cheers!

Nice review there Vivek. Topping is strictly for those who can live with one input and with out remote.

I felt the Topping has same neutral to warm sound signature as my Nad. If you like the Usher 520 sound then I would suggest you to try Usher v-601 too. They are huge and has a bigger woofer as the Paradigm Titans.

Last edited:
Hey vivek,

Did you try contacting "Lakozy Impex and Services" Mumbai ? I think they are the authorised distributors. Maybe they can tell you where to visit in pune who has ready stock.

Cheers
Sid.

Hey vivek,

Did you try contacting "Lakozy Impex and Services" Mumbai ? I think they are the authorised distributors. Maybe they can tell you where to visit in pune who has ready stock.

Cheers
Sid.
Thanks Siddh, I will contact Lakozy and try to get a Pune dealer contact details from them.
Ok, wishful thinking, Anyone in Pune owns the PSB Image B6 and doesn't mind giving an audition to me? :licklips:

As planned, I visited supriyo's home and he received me with a very warm welcome and ofcourse with delicious bengali "Rosogolla". I really appreciate that Supriyo! :)
Thanks for those kind words Vivek. It was wonderful having you there. But you only smelt the rosogolla, and did not taste it :). We had some litche icecream in store for you. But you had to leave early. I wish we could meet for a longer time sometime to get to know more about the equipments.

After that Supriyo suggested to play some other album (of which I forgot the name....apologies). It was to check the ability of the amp to handle complex music (which sounded like Jive music to me). Again, the amp kept me impressed. The overall tonality was very good. No sibilence or ear piercing sound, infact, the sound was quite natural. I had this only qualm because of a slight channel imbalance in the sound. I mentioned this to Supriyo and he tried to correct it by shifting the left channel speaker a bit back, as this speaker was a bit near to my sitting position than the right one. There was improvement, but still a bit of imbalance was there. I would assume that it was because of the speaker placement and not something induced by the amp itself.
The music that you listened to after Santana that day are the following:
1. The second track "Volare" of The very best of Gipsy kings album
The Very Best Of Gipsy Kings: Gipsy Kings: Amazon.co.uk: Music

2. The seventh track "I have a dream" of ABBA Gold album
Abba Gold: Special Edition: Abba: Amazon.co.uk: Music

3. The fourth track "Faithful" of The very best of lobo - the signature collection album:
Rhythm House Buy Online Music CD | The Very Best Of Lobo-The Signature Collection

I always felt that my speaker positions needs lot of improvement. But my space is restricted by my old big wooden cabinet, planning to change it once I am able to convince my wife. I have a feeling that the same combo has lot more potential if correctly placed. Initially,my speakers were on the marble top. The sound improved after I put them on some heavy books along with vibration isolation bubbles provided along with Usher speakers.

Then, I searched for some other CDs from the pile which offers some music with great midrange. My eyes laid upon an Usher Demo CD, which came along with the Usher bookshelves (Yeah, the forgetful me forgot to bring the compilation CD which I take to every audition).
Once I played the CD and played a track containing some "Chinese drum" music, it is when I realized the true midrange quality of the Topping/Usher combo. The midrange was so fluid and the soundstage was so big. The recording sounded as if the drums are played in a large hall, and I am sure it would have been, all these at a volume level at around 11pm level. The depth was very good and the deep and fast drum beats were coming out quite clearly and with great speed. The imaging of the Ushers was commendable and the speed of the midrange driver was matching that of the diamond tweeter. The sound was very coherent as well, with no bumps or troughs in the frequency range.

Great description Vivek. I could not have described my system better. My wife is an avid listener. She always used the track "aicha" by Khaled (Album: KHALED/BEST OF: Cheb Khaled: Amazon.co.uk: Music) to test the over all sound quality as she knows about almost every note of it. She does not know about the midrange, bass and those technical terms. But she said that each instrument should sound more separately. I need to try with a dedicated CD player to see if there is any improvement.

And the final question, will I part with my NAD to seek Audio nirvana via Topping? Well, I might not.
Totally agree with you. Infact I wish to buy a good solid state amp in future after I graduate from my tp20. I have listened to sonosphere's NAD320 and Usher V-601 pair. They sound fabulous to say the least. As an inexperienced person in audio systems, I am just trying to have a feel of hifi equipments with low cost but better sounding amps like tp20.

After listening to the combination of tp20 and PSB Alpha B1 sometime back, Amit from AVXellence asked me to try out tp20 with paradigm titan monitors. So, Vivek if you have time, I can carry my gears to AVXellence and see how tp20 fairs with S520 and paradigm titans in their listening rooms. It will be a good learning for me.

After I left Supriyo's home, I had plans to visit the Sound & Vision shop in Camp, Pune. I called the shop number and described my requirement and budget, and an unfriendly voice said that WE carry bookshelf from only above 75k and here the floorstanders costs 1.5k. After this conversation, I shunned the idea of visiting them.

Cheers!

The Sound and Vision shop has carried audiophile audio since the 90s. He tends to have an attitude. My Yamaha speakers and DVD player were purchased there. Over the years competition has caught-up and are offering stuffat lower prices. He needs to adapt to changing circumstances IMHO. Anyways, to each his own .........

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back