Problem with Arcam CD192

myriad

Hello Folks,
For the past few months my cd player (Arcam Cd192) is getting into pause mode momentarily. When it started it used to happen once or twice during the length of cd but now it has jumped over to 10 to 12 times. What could be the problem?
Thanks in advance
Regards
Vasu

I believe this is the player I sold to you more than a year ago.
As I explained to you during that time, I bought the CD-192 within a few months after it was introduced by Arcam from The Netherlands during a visit there as brand new. Back at home in India, initially it showed the same problems as you explain now and after taking up with Arcam (they had no ddistributor in India then but later someone started in Delhi), they first sent me a spare transport (no improvement) and finally diagnosed the problem as "the display card" (the IC card behind the display) and sent me one for replacement. Also, they published in their website a list of the serial numbers of the units sold initially explaining the problem and offering to send free replacments. It was a simple substitution that could be handled by any local technician. Subsequently, the unit worked flawlessly for the next 2 years it was with me.
The Arcam uses a standard Sony transport like several other high-end CD players and it is easy for a Sony technician to open the transport side, clean the lens and if needed, replace the white cable inside. If the problem still does not disappear, my suggestion is to contact their distributor in Delhi and seek their help.
Last but not least, often the house voltage is an issue in such things. Even my current top-of-the-line Ayre player (bought used) skips and jumps whenever played after dark and the voltage drops quite a bit. The transports are sensitive to power and need a significant voltage and frequency to work correctly. A major reason I avoid using my system whenever possible at night. Even my preamp and power amp sometimes go to standby state even with slight voltage dips. At the same time, I don't use any stabiliser or such things primarily because they restrict the current and the components will not perform as they should by such squeezing.
Trust this helps.

murali

Hello Murali,
Yes it's the same player. I have sent this player to my friend who is a good technician. Hope, he is able to repair it. Will keep you posted.
Regards
Vasu

wondering if you were able to get the CDP fixed?

A friend of mine who is also a good technician fixed the problem. He serviced and lubricated all the moving parts of the drive. The player is running for 5 days without any hitch.
Regards
Vasu

A friend of mine who is also a good technician fixed the problem. He serviced and lubricated all the moving parts of the drive. The player is running for 5 days without any hitch.
Regards
Vasu

Glad to see this.
As I mentioned earlier, many of the middle-of-the-road single box players use the standard Sony transport and play around the DAC part. As far as I know, Pioneer used to make much better transports (early Wadia players) but at some stage, they dropped out.
I still believe that for < $10,000, a single box player is still a better choice though opinions may vary with cheaper transports like CEC and DACs like Benchmark now available.
At least Sony's transports can be serviced and parts replaced.

cheers.
murali

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back